House Price Crash Forum

Panic attack...no HPC for 24 hours!

Can the mods, owners let us know why we were deprived the oxygen of HPC truth for 24 hours? Was it an EA/VI sponsored cyber attack, was it an attempt to fix the slow loading of the past few weeks, or did they just run out of cash for a bit.

Edited by HovelinHove
32 minutes ago, longgone said:

brexit caused it no immigrants where available to reboot the servers for 25p an hour.

haha..and the UK staff were in 'spoons

was watching vine this morning talking about their favorite family based TV shows, this got me thinking how great a real life family show could be with a fractured family values based show, boomer parents sitting pretty in their 800k house and £120 a month mortgage, while their adult children either still living at home or in some slavery based job to give 75% to their HMO master. parents totally oblivious to anything and cant comprehend how difficult life is as interest rates are not 15% on a 3k debt like mummy and daddy in their difficult period. 

we need real life sitcoms and soaps not Gavin and Stacy, i guess the "waltons" and "sorry" was the closet although very early shows.  

episode titles could be "eat avocados or borrow 500k"  or "why are you still here with help to buy"

2 hours ago, HovelinHove said:

Can the mods, owners let us know why we were deprived the oxygen of HPC truth for 24 hours? Was it an EA/VI sponsored cyber attack, was it an attempt to fix the slow loading of the past few weeks, or did they just run out of cash for a bit.

This 100%, they had had enough of their noses being rubbed in it by the bears and know the impending doom that's about to come, in fact i think the "BTL trolls are bricking it!"  (see what i did there?)

But in all seriousness a VI troll/bull could be so wound up/scared that they were behind a DDOS attack on the server...I hope that's the reason, show's they really are bricking it. They may have thought a day of no HPC would have helped their cause.

P.s. Was I the only one slightly panicking about HPC's absence? My life clearly is very empty.

2 hours ago, HovelinHove said:

Easier ad cheaper than you think to book in an attack (be it DDOS etc).  Hence the site's address went null (a blunt way of sending all traffic -> /dev/null).

Once again, its another positive signal that maybe things are turning this time.  Did we see much of this in the previous years?  

19 minutes ago, blackhole said:

Easier ad cheaper than you think to book in an attack (be it DDOS etc).  Hence the site's address went null (a blunt way of sending all traffic -> /dev/null).

Once again, its another positive signal that maybe things are turning this time.  Did we see much of this in the previous years?  

Yes HPC has a rather checkered history of downtime. I doubt with its niche userbase anyone would consider taking out HPC. Probably due to the low traffic this site might not be high up fubra's importance list.

Edited by Pebbles
corrected owners name
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

Yes HPC has a rather checkered history of downtime. I doubt with its niche userbase anyone would consider taking out HPC. Probably due to the low traffic this site might not be high up fubra's importance list.

Tens of thousands come here, and they then tell their friends what they read. It has impact and helps spread the truth that house prices are going to hell in handcart now.

Edited by HovelinHove

All these sorts of sites have suffered with covid.

i think a well known parenting site now offers a subscription service because their ad revenue has dropped precipitously.

Here I guess the numbers of active posters are up - that always happens when there is a potential crash around the corner. That's probably more than matched by the demise in ad revenue though.

Maybe the extra posters are overloading the servers.

41 minutes ago, HovelinHove said:

Suffering the (serious!) effects of HPC outage/downtime could become a rare, but recognised, psychological/medical condition.  LOL

5 hours ago, Trump Invective said:

I wonder if the russians or the chinese would attack hpc - or maybe they'd be on our side? I guess a few oligarchs would like to see us silenced

Russian and Chinese donors who own the Conservative Party are upset at their commercial property interests in London collapsing if people don't go back to the office.