House Price Crash Forum

Mental health effects of Covid-19 on the housing market and can NHS services cope ?

What will be the effects on the housing market, of increased mental illness with estimates of an of a further half a million people with serious issues?

Can mental health services cope with the devastating effects of Covid-19?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jul/15/can-mental-health-services-cope-with-the-devastating-effects-of-covid-19

7 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

What will be the effects on the housing market, of increased mental illness with estimates of an of a further half a million people with serious issues?

What will be the effects on mental illness of the housing market?

Those disadvantaged and unable to follow the same path as those in more privileged positions should be housed and fed with life long UBI.  some are not built for the stresses of modern life and need to be protected by the state for whole life terms. 

7 minutes ago, A.steve said:

What will be the effects on mental illness of the housing market?

Growing mental heath issues is the elephant in the room.....anxiety, stress, depression, loss of hope.....addition issues, poor diet, lack of exercise and human social contact....emotional intelligence and common sense.

Not much to look forward to....when people have more important things to think about, paying rent and debt is last on the list.....the problems will not disappear, just deal or not deal with it as and when can or can't cope with it.....tomorrow......buy now pay later.

very little support out there.....come back in three months.;)

35 minutes ago, winkie said:

Growing mental heath issues is the elephant in the room

Maybe sadly the snowflake generation of which I am one is generally hopeless.

My great grandfather who is still well and active was being chased over the skies of Germany by fighters in his bomber on the day of his 18th birthday.

That is what I call stress not hiving to sit on a sofa and watch TV,. 

He did not get stressed he got on with it.  

1 hour ago, richmondtw said:

My great grandfather who is still well and active was being chased over the skies of Germany by fighters in his bomber on the day of his 18th birthday.

Oh dear...

Whilst I don't disagree that there's a generation with a large number of people who run off and cry at such horrors as having to go out in the rain or hear someone say something they disagree with quite frankly anyone who so sneerily dismisses the mental health issues of the modern world even without the current situation is an ignorant tw@ (and as winkie pointed out many came back from the war with serious lifelong mental health issues).

Edited by Riedquat
3 hours ago, richmondtw said:

Shame. I find some of your posts quite a good counterbalance to some of the loonier folks on here generally but you're way off the mark here. 

The "sitting on the sofa watching Netflix" thing is colossally missing the point. That might be fine and stress free for you or me; I'm happy to wait out the pandemic in the living room or garden of my nice house I own, safely working from home on my high salary. Nice and relaxing. 

The issue for millennials is the lack of hope. No hope of getting out of your childhood room or your shitty one bed flat and nothing you can really do to change it puts a very different spin on things. 

4 hours ago, richmondtw said:

And following the war his generation worked to promote social equality of opportunity, housing for the masses with security of tenure, the welfare state etc. Because they knew the costs of inequality of opportunity, which you don't.

Some had mental issues already before Covid-19. I work with NHS. Had info of at least two patients suffering depression partly because of bad living conditions. 

One was living in a crappy cramped bedsit (landlord not interested in fixing the damp and general disrepair problem), the other in a house located in one of the more vibrant and ethnically diverse areas of the great city of Birmingham. His neighbours were driving him mad by being noisy and agressive. Both patients suffered from PTSD and found it hard or impossible to rest and recover in shitholes they were living in

I guess lockdown didn't make it better for neither of them.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:07 PM, Si1 said:

And following the war his generation worked to promote social equality of opportunity, housing for the masses with security of tenure, the welfare state etc. Because they knew the costs of inequality of opportunity, which you don't.

How astonishing ! You seem to know all about me and my family LOL. 

The simple fact is that people who say that they are stressed because they have to stay in and watch TV from the comfort of their sofa are snowflakes.   

He worked very hard and imbued that attitude into his family which has been passed on to me and my family and which I am passing on to my kids.  I was taught that if I want anything at all in my life I have to work for it and no one on the planet or on any other planet owes me anything.  I was taught that the world can be hard. 

I was taught that life is not equal and all we can do is the best we can.

There are many people who have more money than I do, have had greater opportunities than I do, bigger cars than I do, a bigger house than I do.  I could not care less.  I am happy with my family which is what matters to me and my close buddies.  I am not riven by envy of anyone else who has a more expensive house or has more money in the bank than I do.  

Everyone in this country has the opportunity of education and has the opportunity to work hard.  Some do it. Some do not. 

People also have a different attitude and different ambitions.  Some people do not want to work hard and want an easy life.  Some are prepared to work many hours a day and are driven by money and acquisitions only at the cost of family and social life and hobbies.  

People are not all the same.