House Price Crash Forum

Hi Folks, we’re looking for a 2 bed apartment in BT9. Market seems to have gone crazy Post lockdown - stamp duty holiday etc. It’s difficult  to find anything decent below £200K. 
 Do you think this is a temporary spike in transactions and that prices will decline in a few months, or do you think the upward trend will continue?

Many thanks. 

Stamp duty holiday in that price bracket will probably buoy the market in the short term.

Whether it offsets the inevitable jobs losses remains to be seen. 

Personal view - still plenty of people with money out there. With inflation likely, interest rates stuck at 0% and equities possibly in a bubble, housing may well be an attractive option for preservation of wealth. 

Very specific area and price bracket there. I imagine in a given year year there will be way less than 100 sales in that segment. One thing I would say is it will very much depend on the Airbnb market going forward. If it tanks, and I think it will, flat prices will get hammered. 

Regardless of whether houses will fall, rise, or stay the same in value, an apartment represents several elements of risk that are not there when you buy a house.

So why would you spend the same money on an apartment that you could buy a house, even a small house, for.

I love living in an apartment, but knowing what I know about them now and the finances of the big apartment buildings in town, there's no way I'd buy one; I'd certainly not spend £200K on one.