House Price Crash Forum

"You’re Not Just Imagining It. Your Job Is Absolute BS"

How things have evolved over the past 20 years...

Position A is where the work takes place, the product,  the experience. The staff and managers on the coal face.

Position B is where Position A now reports, not at the coal face, but in a more remote location. Position B needs data, detail, and figures of what's happening at Position A.

Position C are the head honchos, Position B feeds them the detail passed to them by Position A. Position C rewards Position B for excellence. For poor results, Position B feeds Position C the action plan Position A puts together. Position C rewards Position B for the plan.

The current UK economy in a nutshell, otherwise known as a load of Bs. 

1 hour ago, 24gray24 said:

Doormen at posh hotels get paid a fortune in tips FYI. It's a sinecure.  

An automated legal system would look a lot like China. 

And pointless jobs are a direct consequence of automation. The real alternative is starvation. 

The point of the book is about what jobs are just not necessary and while I didn’t finish the book it’s also about how people don’t get satisfaction out of those jobs.  A doorman might actually not be a BS job as they are there to keep the rifraff out also.  Legal is defo not pointless and can’t be done totally by an AI as a big part of it is interviewing the client or other people.  A pointless BS job is more like a personal assistant who’s job is limited to getting the boss coffee but is really there to show the boss has plenty of cash to keep flunkies on the payroll.  There is an argument that a large part of middle and upper management is a waste of space.  Sales people are also increasingly becoming unnecessary.  I’d say companies will be getting rid of lots of roles and replacing them with AI or automation or just deciding not to replace.  Unfortunately this means lots of people are going to be out of work.  I suppose the government will do a universal income for everyone and use tax to try to keep inflation down.  My instinct is that it will end in tears or at least a brave new world that we don’t like.  

11 hours ago, satsuma said:

The point of the book is about what jobs are just not necessary and while I didn’t finish the book it’s also about how people don’t get satisfaction out of those jobs.  A doorman might actually not be a BS job as they are there to keep the rifraff out also.  Legal is defo not pointless and can’t be done totally by an AI as a big part of it is interviewing the client or other people.  A pointless BS job is more like a personal assistant who’s job is limited to getting the boss coffee but is really there to show the boss has plenty of cash to keep flunkies on the payroll.  There is an argument that a large part of middle and upper management is a waste of space.  Sales people are also increasingly becoming unnecessary.  I’d say companies will be getting rid of lots of roles and replacing them with AI or automation or just deciding not to replace.  Unfortunately this means lots of people are going to be out of work.  I suppose the government will do a universal income for everyone and use tax to try to keep inflation down.  My instinct is that it will end in tears or at least a brave new world that we don’t like.  

All this is true, but the strange thing I've noticed is that the people actually doing the work get the least, and the make work managerial jobs get paid twice as much. 

As for government jobs ( to soak up the unemployed )  and government income, I fear several countries are going to find their finances in the same position as the 3rd world country when the only ( multinational) employer has left.  Ie starvation. 

My job is BS. But that’s fine for now. Pays well.

I’ve got an idea for a small business (also BS) that could be more fun so I’m working towards that. 

TBH my whole industry is full of this type of job. It’s amazing. 

Here’s Hans Moravec’s “landscape of human competence”. The rising sea level represents what computers can do. 

image.png.2a765bb51ea6bd8f550ba48f98385465.png