House Price Crash Forum

Bounce back loans 'being spent on supercars'

Sunak is convinced of the trickle down economic theory that if you give loads of £££ to the businesses they will use it to grow their business and help the general economy. Except businesses exist to make profit, and typically don't care about their staff and the economy, it's all about the bottom line.

2 minutes ago, joe_ said:

Sunak is convinced of the trickle down economic theory that if you give loads of £££ to the businesses they will use it to grow their business and help the general economy. Except businesses exist to make profit, and typically don't care about their staff and the economy, it's all about the bottom line.

Can't argue with that at all.  The social contract is broken.  Partly why this forum exists.

5 minutes ago, blackhole said:

Can't argue with that at all.  The social contract is broken.  Partly why this forum exists.

They seriously need to go after the fraudsters, both Furlough and PPE. I'd task the Royal Marines to sort them out, bugger HMRC.

2 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

They seriously need to go after the fraudsters, both Furlough and PPE. I'd task the Royal Marines to sort them out, bugger HMRC.

I don't think they'll have a choice....

Ah... I started a thread on this nonsense a while back. 

If they are being used for supercars does anyone not think they are being used for housing deposits... 

If you think HMRC will come after the thousands doing this then im afraid you are deluded. Just look at the VAT fraud going on ebay and amazon etc, they dont have the resources. 

Best to hope for is a token trophy conviction of some particularly unlucky fraudster

4 minutes ago, captainb said:

If you think HMRC will come after the thousands doing this then im afraid you are deluded. Just look at the VAT fraud going on ebay and amazon etc, they dont have the resources. 

Not so sure anymore.  Given the £300bn+ just blown to get through COVID, it's possible they may do some research and find its worth resourcing after all... that could apply to VAT fraud too.

Edited by blackhole
Just now, blackhole said:

Not so sure anymore.  Given the £300bn+ just blown to get through COVID, it's possible they may do some research and find its worth resourcing after all... 

Who knows. All i know is chucking 50k cash out the door within 24hours with no checks was madness. 

Like leaving suitcases of cash around a busy railway station.. As you know you can always catch the theifs later. Okay then... Is it your money.. Oh.. Taxpayers, makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, captainb said:

Who knows. All i know is chucking 50k cash out the door within 24hours with no checks was madness. 

Sure neither of us will know for a while, but if its as pervasive as you say, then surely that's a business case to be made to resource investigating is all i'm saying.

I personally know of 2 businesses which are taking advantage of the furlough scheme when they don't need to or their staff are continuing to work. Fraud is rife and is probably costing the tax payers billons of £