House Price Crash Forum

It seems a reasonably vocal section on here are of the opinion we are going to see some larger inflation feeding through with all the recent money printing. I thought we could collect examples on this thread. For me, I'm seeing 10% - 20% on food, e.g.

1) Thorntons ice cream - 1 scoop - up from £2.50 to £3 (20%)

2) Seeing general rises in the local market, e.g. steak burgers up from £1.25 to £1.39 each (11%)

3) Local chippy has withdrawn £4.50 lunchtime deals - now cheapest equivalent is £6.50 (45% !)

I think point 3 is the one to watch. I've seen several other food places withdraw any deals they used to offer, resulting in fairly swingeing price increases.

9 minutes ago, Simhadri said:

Seems government will do another QE.

BOE will most likely do another 100bn this year.

However if we see a second large wave, who knows, how much could be pumped out.

If you read around spanish flu, there are striking similarities.

C Bank funding govt spending directly, for people to produce zero economic output.

£ crashing.

Edited by Killer Bunny
52 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

Commodity index been rising for quite a while.

Which ones... Since the start of the year precious metals are up, oil and gas down, other base metals flatish to down, agriculture down.

1 hour ago, dpg50000 said:

It seems a reasonably vocal section on here are of the opinion we are going to see some larger inflation feeding through with all the recent money printing. I thought we could collect examples on this thread. For me, I'm seeing 10% - 20% on food, e.g.

2) Seeing general rises in the local market, e.g. steak burgers up from £1.25 to £1.39 each (11%)

3) Local chippy has withdrawn £4.50 lunchtime deals - now cheapest equivalent is £6.50 (45% !)

I think point 3 is the one to watch. I've seen several other food places withdraw any deals they used to offer, resulting in fairly swingeing price increases.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/timeseries/l55o/mm23

28 minutes ago, Postman said:

My local chippy has increased the price of a regular portion of chips from £1.50 to £1.80. An increase of 20%

Where are you Postman? Up NORTH i take it , £2.20 in Coalville Leics. Price rises really annoy me, so glad chip shops have lost their way , How much for fish and Chips? Last time I bought before lockdown paid £7.70 for haddock and chips take away. Last sit down fish and chips was over £11 in Long Eaton last autumn.

19 minutes ago, captainb said:

Which ones... Since the start of the year precious metals are up, oil and gas down, other base metals flatish to down, agriculture down.

Since March. And I said Index.

Just now, Killer Bunny said:

Since March. And I said Index.

So you picked a starting point of the bottom following a huge fall into CV19 lockdowns. Okay then. 

As for index - which one... they all have their issues and track different items.

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

20% increase in price of hair cut in regular barbers.

I’ve had that cost fall to zero. £30 clippers at the start of lockdown has given me 4 decent haircuts and paid for itself and then some.

Goldman Sachs telling retail investors to sell just as the new wall of money hits the market:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/goldman-sachs-just-succinctly-told-people-to-start-selling-their-overvalued-stocks-104721738.html

On the way down they were telling people to hold/buy.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

In penny items maybe not bigger items all these are down

Cars, Motorcycles 

Electrical goods

Decent fashion brands all cheaper

Fuel Obviously

Selling some motorcycle clutch and brake levers on ebay paid over £200 when I went to check new price to set price £114.00

20p on a bag of chips is neither here nor there is it ? 

i see SSD prices have risen not sure if that`s inflation or Wuhan factories affected by corona. 

seeing as its taking lenovo 3 months to build a laptop that should have taken 3 weeks i think its down to supply problem with electronics rather than inflation. 

This craphole a stone's throw from a gridlocked dual-carriageway priced at £165k. Houses like this normally price for around £130-140k. 

Then there's this leasehold carbuncle on the rectum of Northampton at £95k, whereas a few weeks back it would've been priced around £85k. 

At least I'll save a few thousand in haircuts over the remainder of my life to make up for it. 

Edited by Orb
51 minutes ago, Orb said:

This craphole a stone's throw from a gridlocked dual-carriageway priced at £165k. Houses like this normally price for around £130-140k. 

Then there's this leasehold carbuncle on the rectum of Northampton at £95k, whereas a few weeks back it would've been priced around £85k. 

At least I'll save a few thousand in haircuts over the remainder of my life to make up for it. 

i think i would favor the cattle stunner in my forehead than waking up in that every morning knowing i have 20 years ahead to pay it off. 

27 minutes ago, longgone said:

i think i would favor the cattle stunner in my forehead than waking up in that every morning knowing i have 20 years ahead to pay it off. 

Which one? ha ha.

6 hours ago, dpg50000 said:

Sorry but it's not scientific to just focus on examples that catch your eye of the hypothesis that you're trying to test.

It's the same false logic as people saying "inflation can't only be 2% - [insert name of some random thing] just went up from £1 to £1.25!" without considering things like, it's been £1 for 10 years, so that apparent 25% increase is really 2.5%pa when annualised, and [insert names of everything else you bought today] hasn't changed.

All this QE may well feed into inflation, but you can't just cherry pick a couple of outliers to "prove" it.

7 hours ago, captainb said:

So you picked a starting point of the bottom following a huge fall into CV19 lockdowns. Okay then. 

As for index - which one... they all have their issues and track different items.

Yes, March was a short term bout of deflation as inflation has been gently building since 2016.

It was a pause and the lift off point.

CRB, GCC.

6 hours ago, longgone said:

i see SSD prices have risen not sure if that`s inflation or Wuhan factories affected by corona. 

seeing as its taking lenovo 3 months to build a laptop that should have taken 3 weeks i think its down to supply problem with electronics rather than inflation. 

There has been global supply destruction of all types of goods and many services.

inflationary.