House Price Crash Forum

Is the Economy About To Implode?

HOLA441
1 minute ago, shlomo said:

You had £250k in the bank she had £2k of savings can you blame her

i don`t have that. but not sure why that`s any concern personally to them. my claim is just as good as anyone's else`s

They really don`t provide any help to individuals in a poor mental state at the time, shocking really.  

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
34 minutes ago, longgone said:

i don`t have that. but not sure why that`s any concern personally to them. my claim is just as good as anyone's else`s

They really don`t provide any help to individuals in a poor mental state at the time, shocking really.  

Probably did not help that you had a foreign sounding name like costas or constantinou 

HOLA443
6 hours ago, sammersmith said:

It's not often i hear 'medium-term' from a politician. Usually they talk about problems in the 'short - term' and opportunities in the 'long - term', and long term to their mind is naturally well within the 5 year election cycle. 

What is 'medium - term' then? From now until the budget in November?

Hard to reconcile the claims of a return to sustainability when the 2020 budget report showed that even a goodish Brexit would leave the long term public finances on a knife edge.

To believe that you have to believe that a bad or even no deal Brexit plus Covid will have no significant impact.

HOLA444
14 hours ago, The Spaniard said:

The BBC has many variants of COVID fatality.

Died from C, died with C, died after testing positive for C, died from illness associated with C ...etc...  

In the US the CDC's guidelines for filling in death certificates are hugely biased towards a COVID cause of death and hospitals are given substantial cash incentives for recording patients as COVID.

There seems to be a concerted agenda to maximise COVID fatalities.

Why?

No need for conspiracy. The total excess deaths over five year averages tell the story of the outbreak.

E.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53233066

HOLA445

Stephen Hawking > Quotes > Quotable Quote

Stephen Hawking

“The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies. We are so insignificant that I can't believe the whole universe exists for our benefit. That would be like saying that you would disappear if I closed my eyes.”

HOLA446
HOLA447

A little of what nowadays must be regarded unfortunately as counter-culture:

What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason!
how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how
express and admirable! in action how like an angel!
in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the
world! the paragon of animals!

(William Shakespeare, Hamlet)

HOLA448
HOLA449
On 10/07/2020 at 01:33, Social Justice League said:

Stephen Hawking

“The human race is just a chemical scum on a moderate-sized planet, orbiting around a very average star in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies. We are so insignificant that I can't believe the whole universe exists for our benefit. That would be like saying that you would disappear if I closed my eyes.”

I think that can be updated to two trillion galaxies ? and who knows possibly infinite universes and more..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2018/10/18/this-is-how-we-know-there-are-two-trillion-galaxies-in-the-universe/#3b2dd57f5a67

HOLA4410
On 7/10/2020 at 1:33 AM, Social Justice League said:

Stephen Hawking

Democritus & Protagoras 

Protagoras of Abdera (c. 490 - c.420 BCE) is most famous for his claim that "Of all things the measure is Man, of the things that are, that they are, and of the things that are not, that they are not" (DK 80B1) usually rendered simply as "Man is the Measure of All Things". In maintaining this stance he pre-figures the existential relativism of writers like Luigi Pirandello ("It is so if you think so") by some two thousand plus years. It is curious to consider, then, how a man who claimed that what was true to each of his listeners was, in fact, true (including the idea that no one could know the gods' will objectively) could come to be the most highly paid Sophist in ancient Greece 

HOLA4411
On 10/07/2020 at 01:13, Quicken said:

No need for conspiracy. The total excess deaths over five year averages tell the story of the outbreak.

E.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53233066

The of/with issue is important but I suspect will be forgotten but not because of any conspiracy. Excess deaths will include those who died by the virus plus those who died due to hospitals shutting for anything else.

The graph on the BBC has other interesting facets:

The death rate for June 2020 is lower than June's typically...that's a massive landmark point!!!! Hardly covered in the media and ignored here. ? 

The April rate is high but Mays isn't much different to the peaks seen in winter flu.  Who remembers that being reported

Given the media want covid to continue (as do some HPCers) I say it's not a conspiracy as such but poor reporting and doom bias by media.

HOLA4412
On 08/07/2020 at 15:15, scottbeard said:

I definitely agree about UBI and zombie companies

COVID is really unsual though because not only zombie companies will go bust but also really good and valuable companies who are profitable before Covid and profitable afterwards and who just needs some support for a year also. If you let those companies go bust the long-term damage from having to wait until after Covid before starting brand-new businesses From scratch may end up more costly than simply tiding over the existing companies. The difficulty is it’s very hard to help the genuine cases without also helping the zombies who we should just let’s go bust

And why does the government have to be the one providing that support? If there is future profit to be made let the companies get credit from the financial market, we pay the City boys a lot of money so let them earn it by doing some actual useful work for a change.

HOLA4413
7 hours ago, Dorkins said:

And why does the government have to be the one providing that support? If there is future profit to be made let the companies get credit from the financial market, we pay the City boys a lot of money so let them earn it by doing some actual useful work for a change.

We are over a decade away from natural corrections.  There will be collateral damage, possibly (IMO unlikely) systemic.  I have limited sympathy for companies or individuals now - you were warned and had time to prepare.

Noah had nothing on this oncoming flood

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Her husband Kevin - also a key worker who runs and maintains a power station on the south Humber bank - took out a £120,000 mortgage with Northern Rock in 2007 at 100% of the value of his house with an unsecured loan on top.

Northern Rock's "Together" mortgage was approved at the time by regulators under the oversight of the Treasury.

See @zugzwang

More regulation for you ... Gordon Brown style.

Edited by Warlord

HOLA4416
On 10/07/2020 at 09:45, The Spaniard said:

A little of what nowadays must be regarded unfortunately as counter-culture:

What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason!
how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how
express and admirable! in action how like an angel!
in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the
world! the paragon of animals!

(William Shakespeare, Hamlet)

HOLA4417
On 11/07/2020 at 16:31, Borg1234 said:

I think that can be updated to two trillion galaxies ? and who knows possibly infinite universes and more..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2018/10/18/this-is-how-we-know-there-are-two-trillion-galaxies-in-the-universe/#3b2dd57f5a67

Two trillion galaxies. Pfff. The FED prints that in 2 weeks.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
7 hours ago, msi said:

From the article:

Last October, the FCA reformed the affordability rules to allow lenders to help mortgage prisoners with cheaper home loans.

But so far not a single lender has done so.

No surprise there then. And I see the Beeb has chosen an extreme example - one of the Northern Rock instant negative equity mortgages from 2007.

HOLA4420
52 minutes ago, dpg50000 said:

And I see the Beeb has chosen an extreme example - one of the Northern Rock instant negative equity mortgages from 2007.

They picked the strongest news story example - the Print Rags will do Exactly The Same. 

When these mortgages were sold off into 'bad' banks - the companies receiving them bought them for a fraction of their face value.  If the people can pay in SVR hell, then it is in those companies interest to keep milking at the higher rate.

The result is Heads they win a high SVR yield rate, Tails you loose - can't pay, they repossess and crystalise an instant (and no doubt tax free) profit.

HOLA4421
2 hours ago, The Spaniard said:

Thanks, winkie, a reminder of more optimistic times.

But as always there was a dark side:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weird-Scenes-Inside-Canyon-Laurel/dp/1909394122/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=laurel+canyon&qid=1594624232&sr=8-4

Hippies before my time.....we have made some great music over the years, world renowned....creative arts have been sidelined as not being that important.

You say there is always a dark side.....there is a dark side to many things, don't have to look very far. Economy about to implode, don't know about that but there are going to be plenty of changes ahead....many of them better changes, the economy might not think so.;) 

HOLA4422
7 hours ago, Killer Bunny said:

Two trillion galaxies. Pfff. The FED prints that in 2 weeks.

"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers."
- Richard Feynman

HOLA4423
11 hours ago, The Spaniard said:

Thanks, winkie, a reminder of more optimistic times.

But as always there was a dark side:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weird-Scenes-Inside-Canyon-Laurel/dp/1909394122/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=laurel+canyon&qid=1594624232&sr=8-4

That book looks far out (man) enough to bookmark for later exploration (man)..Thanks!

HOLA4424
On 09/07/2020 at 15:28, Confusion of VIs said:

Hard to reconcile the claims of a return to sustainability when the 2020 budget report showed that even a goodish Brexit would leave the long term public finances on a knife edge.

To believe that you have to believe that a bad or even no deal Brexit plus Covid will have no significant impact.

Many on MSE still want (need?) to believe this. :lol:

HOLA4425