House Price Crash Forum

Stamp duty holiday for 6 months for properties up to £500K

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Deckard said:

The key factors are unemployment and lending criteria - the rest is just noise peddled by the usual suspects.

I agree.  The noise has been pretty spectacular.  This won’t make a difference in the long term, the problem is still there.  Short time, prices may drop with all the offloading .  There is no more kicking the can down the road.  The road is a dead end.

7 minutes ago, Speed1987 said:

That's ok, most buyers will fix for 5-10 years, they'll be fine... 

Most buyers fixed term period expires in the next 3 years.  Many of these have taken mortgage holidays and will not be permitted another fixed term.  They will have to accept a SVR term.

Being an EA and on commission, gives you an VI in the housing market.  No house sales = no commission = no salary.  No wonder there is panic all over you.

I always see the economy as a merigoround of money,  with extra thrown in every now and then. 

In this case quite a lot of people have fallen off the merigoround and the money has stopped flowing. 

These are pathetic attempts to get everyone back on the merigoround. They're still chucking the free money in but it's falling on the floor. 

The only way to jump start things is to bring back confidence, but until people are convinced covid has gone confidence will not return. 

1 hour ago, Speed1987 said:

The government are showing their commitment today, to prop up the housing market.

Up to 5k grants for energy efficiency savings, 10k in some circumstances.

No stamp duty. Will allow people to trade down and offset loses.

0.1% base rate BOE.

Crash is averted.

Any more negative sentiment, will just lead to more props. 

Just need that dose of inflation we all know is coming, which most deny on here and bang we are away again. 

Can't wait to some of that QE money to trickle down the market, its gonna be beautiful.

The usually suspects on here will cry again, waiting another 10 years, trying to time a crash. While most are halfway through their mortgages.

When Furlough ends, or gets closer expect another policy to save businesses from offloading workers. Expect more job creating schemes.

If you can't interpret the message by now, you're beyond help.

Your problem is that you talk too much sense for the people on here. You really can't help anybody on this forum. Lots of people on this forum have been sore losers for 10 to15 years or longer and have lost out on lots of money to Chad down the road. They're about to make the same mistake again, but because they're in a much weaker position than 2007, they are about to be finished off completely.

Itv main news just showed some young lady estate agent praising the stamp duty savngs, saying how she has had buyers, who had previously made lower offers, coming back to her now today, saying they will offer the full asking price, due to the stamp duty savings.

I am not even going to start viewing until the autumn, when I think the reality of unemployment and the recession will really hit the housing market.

52 minutes ago, xxxx said:

I agree.  It looks like they have done something and certainly gets the market moving.  Still no help for FTB, they are the ones that count.

As an FTB, I am worried this will just increase competition (I am now competing with second steppers now who will now have extra money to outbid me)

It seems the government are determined to have HPI at any cost, so maybe I should just get myself in debt and buy an overpriced tiny box now

8 minutes ago, moonriver said:

Itv main news just showed some young lady estate agent praising the stamp duty savngs, saying how she has had buyers, who had previously made lower offers, coming back to her now today, saying they will offer the full asking price, due to the stamp duty savings.

I am not even going to start viewing until the autumn, when I think the reality of unemployment and the recession will really hit the housing market.

So instead of keeping the £15k for themselves they just willingly pay it over to the seller with less than four hours thought?

I expect they take longer to decide on buying a kettle or a fridge!

17 minutes ago, joe_ said:

As an FTB, I am worried this will just increase competition (I am now competing with second steppers now who will now have extra money to outbid me)

It seems the government are determined to have HPI at any cost, so maybe I should just get myself in debt and buy an overpriced tiny box now

You are in a much better position being a FTB, rather than a second stepper.  The second stepper needs a FTB to complete the chain.  It’s FTB that are lacking in the market and the SD amendments today will not change that.  

Time will tell what today’s changes will do to the  market.  No body knows and no body can guess.  It’s early days.

All I know is that our economy is in a mess, mass unemployment awaits and the economy as a whole has shrunk.  Things will not for back to the way they were.

Its a gamble and you have to do what is right for you.

25 minutes ago, moonriver said:

This IMHO is just noise.  Even JP Morgan have gone on record to say the ending of this scheme = coyote cliff moment for the economy.

Interestingly, we've finally confirmed that Speed1987 is a BTLer under the "saving it for my kids" regime.... makes a lot of sense now.  Explains all the fear ?

Does anyone see the return of NINJA or 5% mortgages for all types of properties (not just help to cry) returning?

24 minutes ago, joe_ said:

If you genuinely believe this, read the rest of Speed1987's posts and go sign the dotted line.  Don't hang around, according to Speed you only have a matter of minutes left till the inflation train takes off.

1 hour ago, petetong said:

What do you predict to happen in that time period and why ?

Gold $5-10k. So so many reasons. Too much for here. Imagine what miners will do.

3 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

Gold $5-10k. So so many reasons. Too much for here. Imagine what miners will do.

Same. Too much for here, but when HNW clients started getting "get outta cash, hedge a bit into gold" late last year.... well, follow the money....

30 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

So instead of keeping the £15k for themselves they just willingly pay it over to the seller with less than four hours thought?

I expect they take longer to decide on buying a kettle or a fridge!

? yes indeed...

Can't understand why the national news even broadcast such ramping rubbish! 

6 minutes ago, xxxx said:

You are in a much better position being a FTB, rather than a second stepper.  The second stepper needs a FTB to complete the chain.  It’s FTB that are lacking in the market and the SD amendments today will not change that.  

Time will tell what today’s changes will do to the  market.  No body knows and no body can guess.  It’s early days.

All I know is that our economy is in a mess, mass unemployment awaits and the economy as a whole has shrunk.  Things will not for back to the way they were.

Its a gamble and you have to do what is right for you.

This is bad advice, the amendment today will change sentiment in the housing market. 

This will lead to increased competition from FTB, it also reassures banks the government are committed to a stable and strong economy.

The government (MPs) are often landlords or own various properties, this is personal for them... if we lose, they lose also.

The 0.1% base rate, will encourage more buyers into the market, as people move money out the bank.

Older individuals, will look to free up cash and hand deposits to their children, as they re-evaluate their priorities. They will leave London and relocate, replaced by sombody who is better able to generate wealth. 

They will not allow house prices, to crash by any significant measure and even if they drop in some areas 10-20%, this is most likely a natural correction, which was due anyway.

Areas underpinned by geniue demand will see an increase, Manchester and Birmingham will most likely do best % wise. Particularly Birmingham, with all the planned infrastructure changes, such as HS2, common wealth games etc etc...

The next 4 years are gonna see HPI, like no other time in history.

3 hours ago, Fred1981 said:

Granny and Grandad can now downsize free of SDLT and BOMAD their children/grandchildren. Helping their offspring get over the new deposit lending restrictions. 

And that really is a circular argument!

2 hours ago, Speed1987 said:

Wether it's inflation or more gifts, they'll becoming and propping up the market and eroding debt.

Hedge your bets now, deflation will cause mass riots, the government would probably be murdered. They have no choice but to erode debt.

They will not just change course magically in a few months, this hasn't finished yet. Expect much more!!!

Slowly building your profile here, but your posts are frankly potty. Deflation causing riots! Name one riot caused by deflation. Troll.

Not to mentioned the possible amount of HK nationals coming here and when we are officially out of the EU. We will have some great trading relationships with the common wealth and other emerging economies.

Britain is coming back and its gonna be beautiful ??????.

Edited by Speed1987
Just now, Speed1987 said:

Not to mentioned the possible amount of HK nationals coming here and when we are officially our of the EU. We will have some great trading relationships with the common wealth and other emerging economies.

Britain is coming back and its gonna be beautiful ??????.

How many flights from HK are coming each day. TROLL.

4 minutes ago, HovelinHove said:

I suggest putting Spped1987 on ignore, he is a VI troll.

Yes that makes sense, ignore me, ignore sane individuals...

Hows it working out for people holding and not buying since 2009? 10 years of lost money to LLs and your advising people to do it all over again ffs...

They could be half way through their mortgages by now and much better off, with actual capital in their pockets.

Edited by Speed1987