House Price Crash Forum

EA's Urged to ditch 'Master' bedroom

Oh my word, when will this end? What about masters degrees, mastering a skill, master brewer, The Master Builder Awards, and so on and so on ad infinitum? 

The culture was has already been lost. Welcome to the future. 

2 minutes ago, Goodafterbad said:

So basically the chairman of an EA used a tenuous link to current events to publicise his company in a national rag. A rag whose readership it's predictably easy to wind up with stories about 'political correctness'.

bingo

Are you now going to be prevented from selling or renting a property with white goods too?

Of course in this context master is being used as an adjective not a noun - and in that context it means main or principal.  That's the wonder of the English language - the same words mean different things depending on the context or the grammatical use.

Perhaps the help to buy scheme should be banned too - as the term help in America has been used to describe servants or historically slaves?

Edited by MARTINX9

I noticed a Mini Countryman the other day and wondered about the political correctness of its name.

Bearing in mind Urbanphobia and sexism  I now prefer Mini Placeperson. I have informed BMW.

(I assume that the brand name 'Mini' is exempt.)

21 hours ago, Orb said:

Oh my word, when will this end? What about masters degrees, mastering a skill, master brewer, The Master Builder Awards, and so on and so on ad infinitum? 

The culture was has already been lost. Welcome to the future. 

And of course the bators that are probably enraged in the Wail's comment section of that total BS article. Strictly for easily triggered mugs.

27 minutes ago, smash said:

And of course the bators that are probably enraged in the Wail's comment section of that total BS article. Strictly for easily triggered mugs.

Its probably the same logic that believes driving around a formula one car painted in the colour black for a company that made millions on the backs of Jewish/Eastern European/French slave labour during WWII - in many cases working them to death -  is going to improve the lives of African Americans or indeed black people in the UK.

And that was a mere 75 years ago - and some of those people used as slaves may actually still be alive - or at least their relatives that knew them will be.

Edited by MARTINX9
3 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Its probably the same logic that believes driving around a formula one car painted in the colour black for a company that made millions on the backs of Jewish/Eastern European/French slave labour during WWII - in many cases working them to death -  is going to improve the lives of African Americans or indeed black people in the UK.

And that was a mere 75 years ago - and some of those people used as slaves may actually still be alive - or at least their relatives that knew them will be.

It took me a google but I think that you are referencing F1 driver Lewis Hamilton here? Just wish to clarify so we can gain some sense of your use of notions of "same logic".

4 hours ago, smash said:

And for a moment I thought you were going to refer to master-bators. So obvious...why has everyone missed it? I will always be master of my thang.

1 hour ago, smash said:

It took me a google but I think that you are referencing F1 driver Lewis Hamilton here? Just wish to clarify so we can gain some sense of your use of notions of "same logic".

Changing the colour of your car or renaming master bedroom to main bedroom - changes nothing beyond increasing the demand for that colour of paint and shortening the length of a property advert on rightmove?

On 04/07/2020 at 17:11, The Spaniard said:

Maybe replace this with a hyperlink to a government maintained webpage listing all the currently approved possessive pronouns?

I work in Central govt. Recently senior staff (department head and up) have been encouraged to change their email footers to indicate their preferred pronouns. So many emails are now signed off like this 

Regards

Reg prentice (he him his) 

Apparently if you are really young cool and edgy then you choose

Regards

Reg  Prentice (They, them, Theirs) 

Unfortunately because 'they' have chosen a plural non gendered pronoun instead of a singular ('it' for example) 'they' have made it very difficult to design services, contracts, templates because with this wording a contract typically open to one  person (a benefit claim for example) would have a form, rules and supporting guidance which implied the form could be completed for multiple individuals. 

1 hour ago, regprentice said:

I work in Central govt. Recently senior staff (department head and up) have been encouraged to change their email footers to indicate their preferred pronouns. So many emails are now signed off like this 

Regards

Regards

Unfortunately because 'they' have chosen a plural non gendered pronoun instead of a singular ('it' for example) 'they' have made it very difficult to design services, contracts, templates because with this wording a contract typically open to one  person (a benefit claim for example) would have a form, rules and supporting guidance which implied the form could be completed for multiple individuals. 

I never understood why they had to match. It seems very supine, like you are submitting to the tyranny of the authoritarian regime which controls your freedom of expression by aligning your pronouns.

For example, Do you know where Reg Prentice (it, her, their) is? I haven't seen her for half an hour. It went out to their car to get their briefcase. I hope it hasn't got lost. I worry about her sometimes.

3 hours ago, erat_forte said:

I never understood why they had to match. It seems very supine, like you are submitting to the tyranny of the authoritarian regime which controls your freedom of expression by aligning your pronouns.

For example, Do you know where Reg Prentice (it, her, their) is? I haven't seen her for half an hour. It went out to their car to get their briefcase. I hope it hasn't got lost. I worry about her sometimes.

Thanks. Literally LoL'd!

6 hours ago, regprentice said:

Regards

Regards

If I worked there I think I'd have to take the piece out of that. Though I have a beard, I'd demand on female pronouns and I'd use only the women's toilets. 

56 minutes ago, Orb said:

If I worked there I think I'd have to take the piece out of that. Though I have a beard, I'd demand on female pronouns and I'd use only the women's toilets. 

Our toilets are already gender neutral.... So we only have single toilet rooms, no 'public' or 'communual' toilets. 

7 hours ago, regprentice said:

Our toilets are already gender neutral.... So we only have single toilet rooms, no 'public' or 'communual' toilets. 

I'd still demand, with a straight face, to be called ma'am at all times.