House Price Crash Forum

Have noticed a lot of people I know - professionals - well paid (well, before COVID-19 - who knows post furlough) just up and go - no notice given to either employers or landlords. Just upping and going, with no plans to return. Just in my small circle have seen this a few times - so mentioned this today to the Director of one of the largest recruitment agencies (cross sector) in the UK and they said the same. People had been telling him they hadn't even told the employer on occasion... not until they have to. 

Anyone else seeing this trend? Yet another hit for landlords - and yet more disruption for the economy. 

Was sitting down with the FT a few days ago - that Merryn lady... and thinking... hmmmm.... she isn't a systems thinker... suggesting there would be a quick recovery. 

Because they're not analysing the situation systemically, they are not seeing the multi-layered disruption. This will not be over soon in economic terms, even if the virus disappears tomorrow!

Edited by gruffydd
6 minutes ago, gruffydd said:

Because they're not analysing the situation systemically, they are not seeing the multi-layered disruption. This will not be over soon in economic terms, even if the virus disappears tomorrow!

To be fair most people dont consider 2nd order effects, nevermind 3rd order.  

To answer your question, 2 this year, and 2 others in the last few years have actually gone (tired of poor quality of life, basically).

13 minutes ago, gruffydd said:

Have noticed a lot of people I know - professionals - well paid (well, before COVID-19 - who knows post furlough) just up and go - no notice given to either employers or landlords. Just upping and going, with no plans to return. Just in my small circle have seen this a few times - so mentioned this today to the Director of one of the largest recruitment agencies (cross sector) in the UK and they said the same. People had been telling him they hadn't even told the employer on occasion... not until they have to. 

Anyone else seeing this trend? Yet another hit for landlords - and yet more disruption for the economy. 

Was sitting down with the FT a few days ago - that Merryn lady... and thinking... hmmmm.... she isn't a systems thinker... suggesting there would be a quick recovery. 

Job ads on LinkedIn have gone mental in IT and Law in the last few days. There are a lot of foreign nationals in these fields and both are in demand!

1 minute ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Job ads on LinkedIn have gone mental in IT and Law in the last few days. There are a lot of foreign nationals in these fields and both are in demand!

Foreign nationals in Law? i presume  they are not criminal lawyers, if they are and have left it must be for the commonwealth,  they will not be practising law on the continent

2 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Foreign nationals in Law? i presume  they are not criminal lawyers, if they are and have left it must be for the commonwealth,  they will not be practising law on the continent

This is commercial lawyers in companies, they are perfectly able to handle contracts.

Pros

* Reasonably good health care

* Stable geology

* Good climate

* Decent people in general

* Reasonable infrastructure

* Apart from housing, cost of living is not too bad

* Unbelievably generous welfare state - if you qualify for it, which mitigates the last bit.

Cons

* £ trash. UK earning power in $ is awful.

* Housing a bad joke if you have to pay for it.

* State Education system not fit for purpose - I wouldn't want my kids taught in most UK state schools.

Overall

If you can qualify for benefits, or earn six figures, there are worse places. If not, then yeah, why would you stay if you didn't have roots/family here? 

6 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

Pros

* Reasonably good health care

* Stable geology

* Good climate

* Decent people in general

* Reasonable infrastructure

* Apart from housing, cost of living is not too bad

* Unbelievably generous welfare state - if you qualify for it, which mitigates the last bit.

Cons

* £ trash. UK earning power in $ is awful.

* Housing a bad joke if you have to pay for it.

* State Education system not fit for purpose - I wouldn't want my kids taught in most UK state schools.

Overall

If you can qualify for benefits, or earn six figures, there are worse places. If not, then yeah, why would you stay if you didn't have roots/family here? 

An 'unbelivebly generous' welfare state? JSA rates are appalling when you compare then to the equivalent in Germany/France/Denmark/Norway/Sweden/Netherlands etc.... Yes they're mostly income based and should be more contribution based but they're not great. 

Our state pension is also classed as welfare and is so bad pensioners have to claim benefits (pension credit) just to go above the poverty line. 

11 hours ago, spacedin said:

An 'unbelivebly generous' welfare state? JSA rates are appalling when you compare then to the equivalent in Germany/France/Denmark/Norway/Sweden/Netherlands etc.... Yes they're mostly income based and should be more contribution based but they're not great. 

Our state pension is also classed as welfare and is so bad pensioners have to claim benefits (pension credit) just to go above the poverty line. 

+1

Unemployment benefit in the US is 80% of your last wage for a year. Extended in special circumstances.

17 hours ago, gruffydd said:

Honestly?  No.

Our firm has had only one resignation ‘tis year so far and it’s a British National changing industries.

Whats noticeable is so few resignations altogether. 

On 02/07/2020 at 09:39, Peter Hun said:

Unemployment benefit in the US is 80% of your last wage for a year. Extended in special circumstances.

Interesting.  Not that I doubt you... but... do you have a reference?