House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

HMRC propose scrapping UK VAT free imports and force marketplaces (like Ebay & Amazon)to collect VAT

26 minutes ago, captainb said:

Few facts on that:

=Market markets including banks are exempt from stamp duty on shares. So its only pension funds that pay on UK stocks and PI's etc. on transfer of the asset.

=CFD's and futures etc. are fully exempt. 

=That was introduced in 1986... before then there were no transactional taxes in the UK.

United states had a transaction tax till the 60s, might be what you were referring to. But as that was.. in the new age of telecommunications driving transactions abroad  it was scrapped.

The 1960s was the age of telecommunications?

We had phones for 40 years by then!

I didn't trade around that time, but I do know many who did. I'm certain there were taxes levied on certain commodities throughout the war and well onward in this country. Tbh everything that could be taxed, was in those times!

It was Nixon that nuked the tax as I remember (he was Vice President at the time, and the rumour back then was it was a sop to Wall Street (pulled some "future President money into his corner).

21 hours ago, mattyboy1973 said:

If, by that, you mean buy exactly the same product for 5x the price from a local distributor then yes.

Wow that's amazing.  Can you post Examples of identical items please?

My experience is more like 1/3 the price for something impressively close, but made with more plastic, less metal, higher tolerances, a much lower MTBF & little or no residual value after a short time.  I have had 100s of watchers on Ebay when selling Made in Japan photographic gear.  By contrast Its usually not worth listing chinese accessories even if pristine & fully functional.

Cheap, OK Chinese products are great for vendors as most consumers are blind sided by paying £29 not £89 & don't think about resale at the point of purchase, but a discriminating consumer is probably better off buying a quality product for £70-£79 after a bit of research, or £40 used.

The most useful button on Ebay weeding out substandard items on Ebay is location = UK only. Not necessarily a British product but usually something made under a good QC regime.

Edited by hotblack42
Grama

1 hour ago, hotblack42 said:

The most useful button on Ebay weeding out substandard items on Ebay is location = UK only. Not necessarily a British product but usually something made under a good QC regime.

Even if you select UK only, if you are in a category popular with Chinese sellers, then the majority of goods will be coming from China. Even, no especially, if the advert is plastered with pictures of the Union Jack and 'UK SELLER' in massive type all over the advert. Usually the clue is in the delivery time which, if it more than 3-5 days is usually a Chinese seller. 

I recently bought a board game from a UK seller. In the end a fake copy came from China. I reported the fake, ebay asked me to return it to the seller. I did this, and the details were something innocuous and English sounding like 'Lisa smith' in Wigan. After another couple of weeks the game was returned to me 'addressee unknown' by Royal mail. So I got to keep the fake version of the game and I got a full refund from ebay.

Presumably some poor sod at a random address in Wigan was being swamped with returns boxes and he has no idea what they are. 

Edited by regprentice

1 hour ago, hotblack42 said:

Wow that's amazing.  Can you post Examples of identical items please?

My experience is more like 1/3 the price for something impressively close, but made with more plastic, less metal, higher tolerances, a much lower MTBF & little or no residual value after a short time.  I have had 100s of watchers on Ebay when selling Made in Japan photographic gear.  By contrast Its usually not worth listing chinese accessories even if pristine & fully functional.

Cheap, OK Chinese products are great for vendors as most consumers are blind sided by paying £29 not £89 & don't think about resale at the point of purchase, but a discriminating consumer is probably better off buying a quality product for £70-£79 after a bit of research, or £40 used.

There are plenty of items sold both direct from China and by UK vendors who have obviously bought a job-lot of the same product and added their own markup. Not at 5x the price, but that was just a bit of hyperbole suggesting what might happen if the direct from China option was removed for the end customer, giving UK intermediaries more pricing power. I buy a lot of small electronic components - anything from knock-off Raspberry pi cameras (£3 vs £20 for the genuine article locally, but no problems with any of the 10 or so I have purchased), to motor driver modules etc, many of which I'm fairly sure are coming from the same factories. These are all fairly generic products - I'm sure things are different for other things, and it sounds like you are after specific branded gear which is likely a whole other ballgame. There's nothing instrincially wrong, btw, which Chinese made gear. It's made to a price point for whoever ordered it; some of it is very good, and some of it is total crap. Most of it is remarkably cheap.

I'm not sure the UK filter helps any more, on either eBay or Amazon, since sellers have cottoned on to it and will either just lie or use UK intermediaries for fulfillment. 

2 hours ago, mattyboy1973 said:

... some of it is total crap. Most of it is remarkably cheap.

I'm not sure the UK filter helps any more, on either eBay or Amazon, since sellers have cottoned on to it and will either just lie or use UK intermediaries for fulfillment. 

I suppose really 'Made in China' is a red herring.  Apparently stepping into a Canon or Nikon factories in China is like being temporarily transported to Japan.  Its tat doing a convincing impression of quality goods that's the problem, regardless of origin.  And people having such poverty of ambition that they think selling it to the gullible is a job well done which is a bit tragic when you think about it.

Yes, UK filter is 1st step.  Also check the images, feedback as seller, reviews of the product elsewhere.  Basically I'm a irreedemable sad sack with too much time😄

In my 20s I was into buying well, buying once, then while raising kids who grow out of things, tended to buy good enough much cheaper and chuck it.

No in my 50s I'm back to buying quality and very much into de-cluttering, bordering on obsession.

Last two items I bought on ebay this month have been from dodgy sellers and flagged by ebay immediately that I blimmin paid. Cue having to wait for non delivery and opening dispute to get money back.

It’s a hell site but it’s the best place to get a decent amount (on £1 listing days) for my gear. 

I also spend time reporting the high end fakes. But it’s a drop in the ocean.

Edited by PeanutButter