House Price Crash Forum

Has waiting for a House Price Crash affected your relationship/s

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me yes,.  My worse part was the conservatives getting in and almost doubling prices in the SW, where my line of work was.  Any political party Is the same crud - no affiliation. I’ve spent the best parts of my life living in small rented places or bedsits, with my belongings boxed up.

So I’m now hurtling towards 50, I don’t think I want kids anymore. I’d say house prices was a large factor in a few relationship splits, though also myself. I eventually purchased a nice place (cash) oop north in 2016. It’s back near my parents, which is another bonus.

I’d still enjoy watching house prices crash.  Younger people deserve a chance of a nice life and I’d enjoy watching landlords loose everything. 

I'm 41, childless, and a lifelong bachelor, apart from a few half-casual affairs in my late teens and early 20s. Like dirtyduck, I've also spent my life in unorthodox living situations - primarily lodging in other people's houses, with few possessions and no homely personal touches. So waiting for a house price crash hasn't affected any previous relationships. But, my refusal to buy into the absurdity has probably fed into my perpetual bachelorhood, and how I feel about relationships and women. Buying a house and having a relationship go hand in hand to my mind. One usually follows the other as it's about laying down roots and nest building - something I don't care for. So refraining from house buying has probably sub-consciously stopped me from perusing anything worthwhile with women through the belief they wouldn't find me worthy. Not many men over 25 living as lodgers are successful with women, and for good reason from a female perspective: I have no social status or obvious wealth. I'm a real life Mr. Bleaney

Edited by Orb

Not really. never wanted kids or a wife. Can't say I was waiting for a crash either just decided working for 25 years to buy a chit hole was not a good investment long term.  I lived fast tried to drink myself to death for 15 years, turns out the booze had zero health Effects apart from a bruised wallet.

Anyone who has multiple Kids and is not on credit scam or earning 500k a year needs their head testing.

There's going to be enormous numbers of couples where the misses has squeezed out a few kids and now they are all cramped into small, inadequate, housing (like the bloke with the 4x4 magazine in the latest RM ad.). Gonna put enormous stress on a relationship and no doubt ends in loads of divorces and misery all round. Can't see the attraction of "family life" myself.

My wife's instagram feed seems to be a continuous flow of her friends and their partners proudly standing in front of a HTB box with a bow on the door, hugging each other, and dangling a set of keys. The last picture is always a box of dominos and bottle of Prosecco with stealth boast of "finally moved into our new home" along with faux trauma story of frantic last minute running around. 

When my wife sees this it annoys her. She wants the stability of a home we own and would like to decorate and have people around. I think all women want this and it's understandable. Even though she buys in to what i have been saying about the unsustainability of ever increasing prices and disconnect between HP and earnings, she is still eager for this plan to come to fruition. In many ways covid has helped with the pressure as even she thinks her friends who very recently brought after the lockdown were foolish to do so. 

Edited by sammersmith

In answer to the OP question:

No, I still can't get laid.

It may have little to do with HPs.

Edited by Killer Bunny
22 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

In answer to the OP question:

No, I still can't get laid.

It may have little to do with HPs.

Been there as well.

you need to change your immediate environment, you need to move somewhere that people value you

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, longgone said:

Not really. never wanted kids or a wife. Can't say I was waiting for a crash either just decided working for 25 years to buy a chit hole was not a good investment long term.  I lived fast tried to drink myself to death for 15 years, turns out the booze had zero health Effects apart from a bruised wallet.

Anyone who has multiple Kids and is not on credit scam or earning 500k a year needs their head testing.

Being of mixed heritage you seemed to have picked up negative characteristics from both, the jealousy of the English and the paranoia of the Greek 

I can understand why you tried an overdose of alcohol 

Edited by shlomo
13 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Being of mixed heritage you seemed to have picked up negative characteristics from both, the jealousy of the English and the paranoia of the Greek 

I can understand why you tried an overdose of alcohol 

Lol jealousy of what exactly ? I'm intrigued

I can't OD on alcohol it's too weak.

5 minutes ago, longgone said:

Lol jealousy of what exactly ? I'm intrigued

I can't OD on alcohol it's too weak.

Sir Philip Green came out swinging this morning after his retail empire narrowly avoided falling into administration. ... In an interview with the BBC's Simon Jack this morning, a bullish Sir Philip was asked why the British public don't trust him. He replied: 'Because you lot make them all f****** jealous

We could afford to buy (expensive town in SE England) but I see no value at these prices so we stayed in rental and had our two kids there. You can make a rental house a home if you want, rent unfurnished and buy furniture you like, put pictures up on the walls, pick curtains, repaint the kids room, nobody is going to die. We have a relatively cheap rent and I'm earning well so our net worth is increasing by a fair chunk each year and buying us future options. Life is intense with small children so your focus is on them and not who owns the walls. We've been here 5 years and plan to stay another 5-7 for the primary school years, the increasingly shabby house and likely drop in asset prices will be somebody else's problem, not ours.

1 minute ago, shlomo said:

Sir Philip Green came out swinging this morning after his retail empire narrowly avoided falling into administration. ... In an interview with the BBC's Simon Jack this morning, a bullish Sir Philip was asked why the British public don't trust him. He replied: 'Because you lot make them all f****** jealous

I'm not jealous of anyone or anything that's my problem I really care for nothing there is no purchase I long for or need. 

I just see 99.9% of society as brainwashed retards like rats fighting over a few crumbs to satisfy their wanting jealous needs and to come on forums and parade their success in there narrow spectrum mind.

What a pathetic waste of time and then the abyss Of nothingness. What is even worse is when those very same rats decide how you should live and decide what is a useful and successful way to spend your your limited time. 

No one gets out alive success Or failure is the same.

6 minutes ago, doomed said:

What a strange thread. You have to play the cards as they fall in life. Building a family is the whole point of being here isn't it? You do not need to own a box to do it.

Indeed.  I did spend a little more time researching and picking rentals/landlords accordingly.  That has actually paid off huge dividends in terms of quality of life.

8 minutes ago, doomed said:

What a strange thread. You have to play the cards as they fall in life. Building a family is the whole point of being here isn't it? You do not need to own a box to do it.

says the ivf clinics 

12 hours ago, smash said:

There's going to be enormous numbers of couples where the misses has squeezed out a few kids and now they are all cramped into small, inadequate, housing (like the bloke with the 4x4 magazine in the latest RM ad.). Gonna put enormous stress on a relationship and no doubt ends in loads of divorces and misery all round. Can't see the attraction of "family life" myself.

Looks like I may be going down that road also.  During difficult times some couples become stronger and support each other, some .... not so much.

You start to have thoughts of why not throw another problem on the fire whilst you have a lot less money than usual and no honking great big family house/mortgage.  

Also down the line there is the law changes on divorce..... just in time for post covid separations.

Edited by Fromage Frais
3 hours ago, Fromage Frais said:

Looks like I may be going down that road also.  During difficult times some couples become stronger and support each other, some .... not so much.

You start to have thoughts of why not throw another problem on the fire whilst you have a lot less money than usual and no honking great big family house/mortgage.  

Also down the line there is the law changes on divorce..... just in time for post covid separations.

What law changes for divorce are coming?  And I hope your own situation works out okay (whichever way it goes)

From my perspective these have been strange but interesting times.  I am reminded of the Rolling Stones song about how you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need.   What I WANTED was my own house but because that was not possible I have ended up with a totally different lifestyle from what I expected that has turned out to be exactly what I NEEDED, without me being aware of it.  I am now in the peculiar situation where I can now afford to buy but I probably won't because I like the life I live now.  I think for me it was more about the "shame" of not being able to buy and being thought of as less than others.  But now I know it's a lifestyle choice for me the shame has gone and I'm just enjoying the present.  It's a peculiar calm after a 5 year turbulent storm and it takes a lot of getting used to.

39 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

What law changes for divorce are coming?  And I hope your own situation works out okay (whichever way it goes)

From my perspective these have been strange but interesting times.  I am reminded of the Rolling Stones song about how you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need.   What I WANTED was my own house but because that was not possible I have ended up with a totally different lifestyle from what I expected that has turned out to be exactly what I NEEDED, without me being aware of it.  I am now in the peculiar situation where I can now afford to buy but I probably won't because I like the life I live now.  I think for me it was more about the "shame" of not being able to buy and being thought of as less than others.  But now I know it's a lifestyle choice for me the shame has gone and I'm just enjoying the present.  It's a peculiar calm after a 5 year turbulent storm and it takes a lot of getting used to.

Good point.....there should be no shame to not 'buying'.....far too many are overly concerned about what others think of them, how they are valued......some of the wealthiest rent, renting well is as important to buying well, some of the poorest buy badly with huge debt liabilities hanging over their heads, stress and breakdown of those in buying relationships are often more stressful......?

Long time lurker on this website and so many of you sound super knowledgable about the matkets. 

As a female, I can tell you 100% yes it is effecting our having a family. We sold before lock down, moved into parents with the hope to buy and now have lost all confidence in the market. We are on what feels like a never ending waiting game to buy... House prices seem unrealistic from what we were seeing post lock down.. and don't get me stated on the mortgage market! We lost £50k on our AIP in three weeks after the lock down happened from sensitive banks! 

Not sure just to suck it up and buy to move on with our lives.