House Price Crash Forum

How much would it cost to renovate this house?

You wont get a mortgage on it in that state and its sold without planning permission. 

Would be a developer buy... Although you would expect after its failed to sell via purple bricks to find its way to auction. 

In terms of costs to build a new house its an order of magnitude higher than 20k 

From the photos they avoid the roof or lack of.

The surrounds look damptastic so going to have to assume a to the walls gut job.

There is also no floor plan so no way of doing a per m2 guess.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/ls12/stonebridge-avenue.html

Looks like this is an area where houses do not go for that much I see a semi from the approx era sold for 150 and that was 84m2 so i assume this house as a 4 bed with a similar design is 100-130m3 give or take.

So assuming the roof is totally ******ed and its riddled with damp and everything is inside a rotten.

I would knock it down and build a new house but the price makes that not an option.

You are looking well over 100K (depending on finish even for a refurb as new roof & everything else) if your getting builders in unless Yorkshire is much cheaper than Norfolk.

What would it in a1 condition sell today 200/250 assuming a semi with less land is 150?

Edited by Fromage Frais

£40-£60k ?   That’s one mans wages for a year.

It just needs taking down and replacing - you can’t scratch around with an old house with so many issues - notably damp coming up - and straight in.

Wrecking crew for a week then contract a house builder to plonk a couple of semis on it.

25 minutes ago, bomberbrown said:

It’s right next to a ring road.  No thanks!

The area, armley, is a bit rough but it has amongst the grim terraces these larger houses that are often bought up by people on descent incomes, get a security gate on them, nice big family house massive garden. Half hour WALK into Leeds city centre, just off the Leeds Liverpool canal bike path also into town, so it has its practical attractions. Certainly not the roughest part of Leeds.

1 hour ago, scepticus said:

a lot more than that I reckon, the windows alone could be 20K. Looks like a "knocker-downer" to me.

I was going to say something similar. New windows, new roof (most likely - hard to see) and there goes your £60k. I'm guessing tradesmen might be a bit cheaper in Leeds than darn south, but still. A relatively modest kitchen with appliances is the best part of 10k. And that's before you look at the structural stuff and consider whether the thing was built well enough in the first place to be worth saving.

Knock down, rebuild. For me it would a timber framed Scandi type, but min 300k + plot.

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

There's no earthly way that's worth 200k then. For the area, might not even be worth 50k

There is - or used to be - an awful lot of people who watched too much Sarah Beeney and saw themselves as property developers. Consequently, fanciful/wildly optimistic estimates are made, sums are done and these types of houses often sell for way more than they should, with no real way for the buyers to make their money back. I've heard builder friends bemoan the lack of opportunities due to these idiots. Not sure if that is still a thing to the extent that it was. I'd say that anyone not in the trade/inexperienced who estimates a refurb cost is doing well to get out for less than double the original figure.

From the Ordnance Survey map it looks to have a decent amount of land with it.

It could most likely attract developers who want to build a few pairs of semis on it.

Subject to obtaining planning, being able to put an access road in etc.

Edit; just noticed all the trees - chopping down trees does not go down well with some planners!

Edited by frankief
5 minutes ago, frankief said:

It could most likely attract developers who want to build a few pairs of semis on it.

Or failing that convert to flats or a youth or oldies care home.

I’m baffled by how people can say such low figures to renovate a house like that. Clearly that house needs knocking down but I’ve seen mates (In expensive West London tbf) spend £200k having a 3 bed flat renovated. I looked at a house this week (5 bed, 2200 sq ft) that needed a new kitchen, a loft conversion, a small 5th bedroom turning in to a en-suite, new carpets throughout, new boiler etc and a major garden job and I was thinking 200k plus for that. It always amazes me how people on HUTH refurb a full house for £15k. I wish I knew the secret as it could save me a fortune on my next house. 

8 hours ago, frankief said:

Edit; just noticed all the trees - chopping down trees does not go down well with some planners!

Not a problem if you chop them down before submitting the planning app.

18 hours ago, dirtysteve said:

. It always amazes me how people on HUTH refurb a full house for £15k. I wish I knew the secret as it could save me a fortune on my next house.

Money laundering.

You can't go wrong when the costs are verified by the team.

20 hours ago, dirtysteve said:

I’m baffled by how people can say such low figures to renovate a house like that. Clearly that house needs knocking down but I’ve seen mates (In expensive West London tbf) spend £200k having a 3 bed flat renovated. I looked at a house this week (5 bed, 2200 sq ft) that needed a new kitchen, a loft conversion, a small 5th bedroom turning in to a en-suite, new carpets throughout, new boiler etc and a major garden job and I was thinking 200k plus for that. It always amazes me how people on HUTH refurb a full house for £15k. I wish I knew the secret as it could save me a fortune on my next house. 

you do not know the right people, also you might want it done to perfection

On 28/06/2020 at 14:36, Si1 said:

The area, armley, is a bit rough but it has amongst the grim terraces these larger houses that are often bought up by people on descent incomes, get a security gate on them, nice big family house massive garden. Half hour WALK into Leeds city centre, just off the Leeds Liverpool canal bike path also into town, so it has its practical attractions. Certainly not the roughest part of Leeds.

No not the roughest, still a sht hole though. Is Mikes carpets still there???

It's worth the price of the land. That will be well in excess of £250K as some nutters become locked in a bidding war.