House Price Crash Forum

Energy Performance Certificate... why?

Monkey

HOLA441

My Landlord/Letting agent have just performed a Energy Performance Survey. The Landlord has had this house 10 years, and i've been renting it for 8.

I asked as to why it was needed, and was given that it just was. This was the first one thats been done under our tenure.

Would this mean they might be selling? Our contract ends in September, so a S21 at the end of June would coincide with that. Or is this something that a mortgage company would ask for on renewing a mortgage?

HOLA442
27 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Would this mean they might be selling? Our contract ends in September, so a S21 at the end of June would coincide with that.

it might, but they'd have to be pretty brave or foolhardy to push for a vacant possession sale at this time, especially when they've got someone in, presumably paying, for 8 years. 

Or is this something that a mortgage company would ask for on renewing a mortgage?

Was it just an Energy Performance Survey or a valuation as well? Mortgage company will want a valuation: I often had to let the valuer in at my previous flat so the LL could jump mortgages every 2 years.

The Landlord has had this house 10 years, and i've been renting it for 8.

Do you renew tenancies every year or did you roll on to a periodic? There was a requirement that new tenancies and renewals had to comply to a minimum EPC. To know this they'd obviously have had to carry out an EP at some point. This was a few years back but maybe they just realised that they are now in breach of this.

Edited by sammersmith

HOLA443

Who knows what goes through a person's head or reasons to do so.

I have paid full rent, even through this time, without asking for a reduction. But i would imagine the LA pushing for vacant selling as it would be easier sell in normal times. Not sure about know. LA is THE local estate agent for the village i am in.

It was just a Energy Performance Survey. Total time was less than 10 mins.

Tenancy renews every year, the LA wouldn't even entertain an AST. End of this month middle of July is historically when they start asking if i want to renew for another year.

That gives me a little relief that i might not have to move this year

HOLA444
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

LA is THE local estate agent for the village i am in

Sounds suspiciously like they've just cottoned on to their EPC obligations to me. 

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Tenancy renews every year, the LA wouldn't even entertain an AST. End of this month middle of July is historically when they start asking if i want to renew for another year.

LA may be less motivated to push a renewal this year, given tenancy fees (including renewals) are now banned for existing tenancies as of 1st June. Remind them of this if they 'accidentally' pop a fee demand at the bottom of your renewal. 

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

But i would imagine the LA pushing for vacant selling as it would be easier sell in normal times.

Maybe. it is possible but i don't think doing an EPC indicates this.

HOLA445
9 hours ago, sammersmith said:

LA may be less motivated to push a renewal this year, given tenancy fees (including renewals) are now banned for existing tenancies as of 1st June. Remind them of this if they 'accidentally' pop a fee demand at the bottom of your renewal. 

This might be hard to beleive, but my LA is one of the good ones, and has not charged me a single renewal fee in the 8 years i've rented from them. They said that they always charged the Landlord all fees. 

Honestly they are fantastic, always done house repairs quickly and to a good standard. They have paid me back for repairs/things i have done without prompt from myself, they noticed on an annual inspection that the shower and shower screen was new, as the shower had broke (not a power shower), and the screen was leaking, which i replaced it at my cost, they asked for receipts and paid me back.

They say that they want to keep the good tenants, as it makes their job easier, and do things like this to stand out from the rest. 

Edited by Monkey