House Price Crash Forum

Millions of Americans can’t afford water as bills rise 80% in 10 yrs - How about UK ?

I'm wondering how the Uk water supply will be affected.

Given the recent heat waves and pressures on water co's who do not upgrade

infrastructure due to a virus hit economy and late bill payers 

Wessex Water reports huge increase in demand for water during dry weather

https://www.bathecho.co.uk/news/community/wessex-water-increase-demand-water-dry-weather-90578/

Millions of Americans can’t afford water as bills rise 80% in a decade

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/23/millions-of-americans-cant-afford-water-bills-rise

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got all the water we need in the North. We don't have a national supergrid to get it where is needed most, but that's not far off, just needs the political will to push it through a few areas of natural beauty and pacify a few NIMBYs.

Last great recession,  I seem to remember they put up gas bills 50% overnight. 

Putting up costs on essentials of life is something that hurts the poor rather than the rich, and can't be avoided, so it's quite likely to happen. 

I don't think the British own their own utilities, so why wouldn't the owners use monopoly pricing  in order to keep up luxury lifestyles in their home countries? Regulators are captured after all. 

It's exactly the same as 20% pay cuts sweeping the nation; sacrifices have to be made and you can't expect the bosses to drink less champagne. Just be grateful you've got a job is the line. 

35 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Millions of Americans can’t afford water as bills rise 80% in a decade

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/23/millions-of-americans-cant-afford-water-bills-rise

In the UK you can't have your water turned off for non payment. 

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/water-arrears.aspx#:~:text=No%2C a water company cannot,the risk of court action.

27 minutes ago, Si1 said:

We've got all the water we need in the North. We don't have a national supergrid to get it where is needed most, but that's not far off, just needs the political will to push it through a few areas of natural beauty and pacify a few NIMBYs.

Agreed. Lovely soft water up north, when I visit family in Aberdeen my wife will have a quick shower and say her hair feels like it's had a conditioning treatment when it's just been rinsed with tap water alone. 

I visit family in Oxford and London and its disgusting, limescale crusted taps, sinks, showers, kettles. I can't understand how they can live like that. 

1 minute ago, regprentice said:

Agreed. Lovely soft water up north, when I visit family in Aberdeen my wife will have a quick shower and say her hair feels like it's had a conditioning treatment when it's just been rinsed with tap water alone. 

I visit family in Oxford and London and its disgusting, limescale crusted taps, sinks, showers, kettles. I can't understand how they can live like that. 

+1

43 minutes ago, Si1 said:

So we need to mess up some of the few bits we've not already made a mess of and call names at anyone who's pissed off with that? And then the same again in a few years' time, because those who push for such things never seem to have an idea for stopping, instead trying to continue everything that got is in to that position in the first place. Net result the country gets ever more unpleasant to live in (not to mention depressing if you haven't been emotionally numbed to it all from birth). Bravo, you're doing a great job.

54 minutes ago, regprentice said:

They don't have to most people have water softeners.

Also there are health benefits to drinking hard water, especially if your water system still has lead pipes anywhere in it.

4 minutes ago, The Spaniard said:

Before long some global mega-corporation will secure a patent on the H2O molecule. ?

Well said. We're already seeing wars for water. China trying to occupy river paths and trying to control flow of rivers into neighbouring countries.

47 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

So we need to mess up some of the few bits we've not already made a mess of and call names at anyone who's pissed off with that? And then the same again in a few years' time, because those who push for such things never seem to have an idea for stopping, instead trying to continue everything that got is in to that position in the first place. Net result the country gets ever more unpleasant to live in (not to mention depressing if you haven't been emotionally numbed to it all from birth). Bravo, you're doing a great job.

Stopping isn't part of human nature. 

In any case moving already available water, along new canals perhaps, seems preferable to building new reservoirs in areas with shortages.  

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

It involves burying a 2 metre diameter pipeline and then covering it up again.

That will clearly ruin the countryside. Not.

Yorkshire has a regional supergrid. Do you suppose Yorkshire has been wrecked?

Often, recessions happen due to inflation in the costs of living.  'Inflation' may be low but actual real inflation is rampant.

And before anyone says so the stock market will crash for ever. It's a mega bull market, interspersed with the odd correction - major or minor.

1 hour ago, regprentice said:

Because its only water - I drink it,  wash the car with it and have a 2 minute shower every day and buy a new kettle every so often - First world problem

Hard water or living in Aberdeen its a tough one......

Edited by GregBowman
48 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

Because its only water - I drink it,  wash the car with it and have a 2 minute shower every day and buy a new kettle every so often - First world problem

Hard water or living in Aberdeen its a tough one......

And besides you can always fit a water softener