House Price Crash Forum

Man jailed for urinating at police officers memorial during protest

A man has been jailed for urinating at the Westminster memorial dedicated to PC Keith Palmer.

Andrew Banks, 28, of Stansted, Essex, was photographed during Saturday's right-wing protests in London.

He was sentenced to 14 days in custody, after pleading guilty to outraging public decency at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

PC Palmer, 48, was stabbed while on duty during the Westminster attack on 22 March 2017.

He was one of five people murdered by Khalid Masood.

Prosecutor Michael Mallon said Banks, a Tottenham Hotspur fan, was in central London to "protect statues", but admitted he did not know which statues.

He was said to have drunk 16 pints during Friday night into Saturday morning, and had not been to sleep.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53051096

He drunk 16 pints?!! 

He also didn't know what he was doing in London, apparently.

This is the kind of scum we're breeding in this country. 

I'm thoroughly ashamed! 

5 minutes ago, Warlord said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53051096

He drunk 16 pints?!! 

He also didn't know what he was doing in London, apparently.

This is the kind of scum we're breeding in this country. 

I'm thoroughly ashamed! 

This was a very emotive picture but, if you try to look at it objectively,  he wasn't pissing on the memorial but in the little notch in the wall. I'm pretty sure his motivation was to look for a secluded place to relieve himself and likely didn't notice the memorial. If he drank 16 pints then this is not surprising.

He handed himself in and is doing time. Not saying he's a model citizen but i don't think his intention was to desecrate a memorial. 

1 minute ago, sammersmith said:

This was a very emotive picture but, if you try to look at it objectively,  he wasn't pissing on the memorial but in the little notch in the wall. I'm pretty sure his motivation was to look for a secluded place to relieve himself and likely didn't notice the memorial. If he drank 16 pints then this is not surprising.

He handed himself in and is doing time. Not saying he's a model citizen but i don't think his intention was to desecrate a memorial. 

I'm sorry but there's no excuse.  He drrank 16 pints. I thought London was on lockdown?  

15 minutes ago, Warlord said:

I'm sorry but there's no excuse.  He drrank 16 pints. I thought London was on lockdown?  

Nobody takes any notice of lockdown after the Dominic Cummings fiasco.

Personally I think that a custodial sentence is inappropriate for this offence. The judge/magistrate apparently accepted his explanation that he got caught short and was not aware of the plaque, but felt she had to send him to prison because of the public outrage.

20 minutes ago, Warlord said:

An explanation isn't the same as an excuse.

Nothing stopping someone drinking 16 pints without breaking lockdown rules.

1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

An explanation isn't the same as an excuse.

Nothing stopping someone drinking 16 pints without breaking lockdown rules.

And who  served this lout 16 pints? I thought the pubs and bars were closed in London?

26 minutes ago, Warlord said:

And who  served this lout 16 pints? I thought the pubs and bars were closed in London?

You can buy beer in supermarkets.

Personally I have trouble drinking 3 pints, without having to dash frequently to the loo.

22 minutes ago, onlooker said:

You can buy beer in supermarkets.

Personally I have trouble drinking 3 pints, without having to dash frequently to the loo.

Same here . Goes through me like nothing. I could never drink 16 pints (!)  

I still think he's  scum. .

You can drink 16 pints over a period of time no problem. Back in the day I used to do 72 hour parties but that was taking recreational drugs as well, maybe crash out for a couple of hours sleep somewhere in that. I doubt that poor sod will achieve much else of note with his life, hell of a way to blow your 15 minutes of fame.

piss.jpg

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, smash said:

You can drink 16 pints over a period of time no problem. Back in the day I used to do 72 hour parties but that was taking recreational drugs as well, maybe crash out for a couple of hours sleep somewhere in that.

16 pints in the capital is like a fiver a go... that's £80 on beer!  I'd rather have a gram of coke instead and you'd still have change to get home and not make a d1ck of yourself. .

Edited by Warlord
2 minutes ago, Warlord said:

16 pints in the capital is like a fiver a go... that's £80 on beer!  I' rather have a gram of coke instead .

Yes, boozing in London is very expensive these days but I doubt he was drinking in pubs as only a few are open with outdoor service. He probably stayed up all night with his mates looking forward to being a tw&t, maybe he took some recreational drugs to help with lack of sleep. 

14 hours ago, Warlord said:

16 pints in the capital is like a fiver a go... that's £80 on beer!  I'd rather have a gram of coke instead and you'd still have change to get home and not make a d1ck of yourself. .

Is it that much more expensive than the rest of the country in supermarkets? That's the most likely place he bought the beer.

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

Is it that much more expensive than the rest of the country in supermarkets? That's the most likely place he bought the beer.

Ah ok. i was thinking pints = pub. I guess he could have got pint sized Stella cans or something.

34 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Ah ok. i was thinking pints = pub. I guess he could have got pint sized Stella cans or something.

Probably 550 ml these days but plenty of people will treat a can or bottle as a pint; in terms of "they've drunk a ridiculous amount" it's a close enough approximation.

Edited by Riedquat

It does seem unreasonable to me, all the public toilets are closed right now and this kind of thing normally attracts a small fine.

Trial by tabloid media means he goes to jail, costing taxpayers thousands of pounds.

Can dogs be arrested for outraging public decency for peeing on a lampost?

On 16/06/2020 at 13:56, Habeas Domus said:

Can dogs be arrested for outraging public decency for peeing on a lampost?

No, because a dog is not a human, the law only apply to humans. At most, a human may be held responsible for a dog out of control, but it's still the human who pays the price.