House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Levy process

Any Comment From The "retail Spending Bulls"?

"The BRC are a joke.

I rang them a few months back to ask how/if they included online sales in their figures. The answer was "if a high street ret'ailer has an online arm they are included" me "what if its a pureplay online retailer like Amazon?" them "oh theyre not included".

As online retail was nearly £20Bn in 2005 representing 9% of the market, I rest my case they are a joke."

From an earlier post, there is no retail slowdown the money is being spent online as you will probably see next week when the far more reliable but still not accurate figures from the ONS come out.

THat is simply because there is a flood of news pointing to a continuing trend toward recession. Gordon's economic miracle that was supposed to provide unlimited money forever based on continuous HPI has suddenly and abruptly come to a halt. Wylie Coyote syndrome is setting in and its scaring the s#*! out of retailers.

http://news.ft.com/cms/s/5ea4169e-974d-11d...00779e2340.html

Haven't heard much from those on here who only a couple of months ago were predicting a resurgence in high street spending. Any thoughts.....

My 'nag' last year was that every December the retail scare story emerges like some kind of conspiracy, and then sure enough shortyl after Xmas we are told a sudden upsurge reversed the slowdown just prior to Xmas.

Todays news I think Im right in saying refers to January figures, which is a whole new subject.

However, even the January gloom could be misplaced (note I say 'could' as Im not sure), in that I recall many such warnings in the past (worst June in 8 years, worst August in 12 years etc) which didnt in the end point to anything other than a blip.

In other words the retail industry might put out such warnings in order to drive down interest rates to benefit themselves.

Guest Winners and Losers

Was that an apology dogbox?

My 'nag' last year was that every December the retail scare story emerges like some kind of conspiracy, and then sure enough shortyl after Xmas we are told a sudden upsurge reversed the slowdown just prior to Xmas.

Todays news I think Im right in saying refers to January figures, which is a whole new subject.

However, even the January gloom could be misplaced (note I say 'could' as Im not sure), in that I recall many such warnings in the past (worst June in 8 years, worst August in 12 years etc) which didnt in the end point to anything other than a blip.

In other words the retail industry might put out such warnings in order to drive down interest rates to benefit themselves.

However, even the January gloom could be misplaced (note I say 'could' as Im not sure), in that I recall many such warnings in the past ( etc) which didnt in the end point to anything other than a blip.

Do u think worst June in 8 years, worst August in 12 years and worst January in 10(???) years a blip. I think it is a pattern emerging? may be ? not ?

And even better is the call for a rate cut as this will solve all the problems on the high street. Surely its not rocket science to see that the majority is up to there tits in debt. Or maybe they think that by lowering rates people would be more willing to spend there savings as the rate is so crap. Dream on Mr retailer, I think only the minority have savings at the moment. Does anybody know how many people are employed by the retail sector? If this high street gloom carries on I would expect a flood of redundancies.