House Price Crash Forum

"FTB and key workers to get 30% on new homes"

4 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Criminal offense now, up to 7 years.

Don't think a lot of London people who are doing this see it like that, I'm not sure they really respect any laws tbh also does anyone get 7 years for anything nowadays.If they get caught they would get a decent brief probably paid by us and get off with it under some hardship plea.  

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell you what I wouldn’t mind is a whistleblower line (online) for tenants in informal (illegal sublet) agreements. Trouble is everything has been pushed onto councils instead of being centrally controlled. 

13 hours ago, Killer Bunny said:

Ah right. That was obviously the schools fault. As she never had an opportunity to learn to read properly over the next 30 years, did she? Be serious.

Impressive logic there.

1 hour ago, papag said:

Don't think a lot of London people who are doing this see it like that, I'm not sure they really respect any laws tbh also does anyone get 7 years for anything nowadays.If they get caught they would get a decent brief probably paid by us and get off with it under some hardship plea.  

Its fraud, 

Jailed: Lawyer and ex-Tower Hamlets councillor for housing fraud he ran for 5 years

A solicitor and former Tower Hamlets councillor has been jailed for a seven-year housing fraud in which he bought two properties while illegally sub-letting his council house.

But he pleaded guilty on two fraud charges when he appeared before Thames magistrates on September 26.

Harun was in the dock again at Snaresbrook Crown Court yesterday (November 14) where he was sentenced to 16 months behind bars.

The judge also slapped an order on Harun to pay nearly £125,000 compensation to the housing authority for providing years of temporary accommodation that could have been used for a genuinely homeless family.

https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/politics/lawyer-councillor-housing-fraud-sentence-1-6378175

11 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Tell you what I wouldn’t mind is a whistleblower line (online) for tenants in informal (illegal sublet) agreements. Trouble is everything has been pushed onto councils instead of being centrally controlled. 

As I have said before a friend told me that he wouldn't report this because they could get a worse neighbour in.  As someone who used to live in a block of flats I can understand this point of view.

1 hour ago, iamnumerate said:

As I have said before a friend told me that he wouldn't report this because they could get a worse neighbour in.  As someone who used to live in a block of flats I can understand this point of view.

No I mean tenants who are renting from the undeclared landlords. 

11 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

He got 16 months of which he will prob do around 4/5  then be let out, also he was a Councillor so that would go massively against him in any sentence.The people I am on about are not doing it as a business they just normal people who rent out their council home and live very well on the Costa's on the proceeds.You can  rent a standard two bed anywhere on the Blanca long term for around £325 a month with swimming pool communal garden my last council tax was around £230 for the year. I have no idea if its still going on Peter as I returned a few years ago but my bet is that it is but maybe reduced a little. 

32 minutes ago, papag said:

I have no idea if its still going on Peter as I returned a few years ago but my bet is that it is but maybe reduced a little. 

I have no doubt its quite common, but all it would take is one phone call.

1 hour ago, faloos said:

Another Barsteward  who probably pleaded that he did not know, and that we were being racist. Send him home in a leaky boat !

Why exactly was the council providing social housing to a qualified solicitor anyway. It wasn’t an old family council home he had lived in for years he rented out - he was given a 3 bed council home in 2010 when he had the means to rent privately and as we see actually afford to buy two houses in London! 

Quite a long waiting list for council houses in Tower Hamlets. Yet seemingly they did no means test at all to check earnings and savings?

Perhaps he had some mates or relations  in the housing department is all I can say who overlooked these things?! And he only got found out when he stupidly decided to raise his profile and become a councillor so got more scrutiny on his financial affairs by local people and opposition councilors! Perhaps if he hadn’t got on the council he might still be sitting pretty.

People blame him rightly but something was also seriously at flaw in the councils allocation policies for social housing!

Edited by MARTINX9
46 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

I have no doubt its quite common, but all it would take is one phone call.

One guy and his wife in our community was shopped to the UK authority's for this, they left when  questioned about it probably owing rent to the apartment owner no doubt. He was responsible for putting up a notice in our local bar holding a sort of clinic every month informing people of what they could claim off the UK whist living in Spain and how to go about it , think he assumed he would be popular doing this my bet is its still going on by other people like him.

6 minutes ago, papag said:

One guy and his wife in our community was shopped to the UK authority's for this, they left when  questioned about it probably owing rent to the apartment owner no doubt. He was responsible for putting up a notice in our local bar holding a sort of clinic every month informing people of what they could claim off the UK whist living in Spain and how to go about it , think he assumed he would be popular doing this my bet is its still going on by other people like him.

Large numbers of these people will be stuffed by the minimum income requirements of Spanish residence  (35k euro) and the removal or the right to claim benefits while in the EU.

1 hour ago, Peter Hun said:

Large numbers of these people will be stuffed by the minimum income requirements of Spanish residence  (35k euro) and the removal or the right to claim benefits while in the EU.

Spanish benefits are not even that generous if you are Spanish.

2 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Why exactly was the council providing social housing to a qualified solicitor anyway. It wasn’t an old family council home he had lived in for years he rented out - he was given a 3 bed council home in 2010 when he had the means to rent privately and as we see actually afford to buy two houses in London! 

Quite a long waiting list for council houses in Tower Hamlets. Yet seemingly they did no means test at all to check earnings and savings?

Perhaps he had some mates or relations  in the housing department is all I can say who overlooked these things?! And he only got found out when he stupidly decided to raise his profile and become a councillor so got more scrutiny on his financial affairs by local people and opposition councilors! Perhaps if he hadn’t got on the council he might still be sitting pretty.

People blame him rightly but something was also seriously at flaw in the councils allocation policies for social housing!

+1 although maybe he could only afford to buy because he made so much money sub letting his council flat?

On 08/06/2020 at 16:12, Killer Bunny said:

Milton Friedman

Right, if a right wing crackpot Chicago School economist says so, it must be so. No health service then, no public care for the elderly, no strategic guidance of the economy, no environmental legislation, very little of what makes up a civilised society. 

As if these would be unavailable if the State didn't provide it, for vast fees (taxes and payments to overpaid state people).

28 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

As if these would be unavailable if the State didn't provide it, for vast fees (taxes and payments to overpaid state people).

And yet the NHS is apparently one of the most cost effective health services.

There are many examples of countries with almost no meaningful welfare state and health service. People rob and kill each other. You do have a choice to go there if you continue to be outvoted by the rest of us, but you may find you end up paying far more to have a worse existence. 

Bow down to the NHS.  Clap for the NHS.  Close down the f'g economy for the NHS. Pray to the Lord God, the NHS.

Here, pay this and see it all goes to Rome (I mean, the Health execs and unions).

1.4m in UK healthcare. 700k medical professionals.

Edited by Killer Bunny
1 hour ago, dugsbody said:

And yet the NHS is apparently one of the most cost effective health services.

There are many examples of countries with almost no meaningful welfare state and health service. People rob and kill each other. You do have a choice to go there if you continue to be outvoted by the rest of us, but you may find you end up paying far more to have a worse existence. 

Is it?  I would love to believe that it is, but I would like to see some evidence for it.  The UK has a lot more generous welfare state than 100 years ago but sadly there are more murders now, so the link is not 100%.

On 10/06/2020 at 14:51, Killer Bunny said:

Bow down to the NHS.  Clap for the NHS.  Close down the f'g economy for the NHS. Pray to the Lord God, the NHS.

Here, pay this and see it all goes to Rome (I mean, the Health execs and unions).

1.4m in UK healthcare. 700k medical professionals.

What is next?

Pay freezes and P45s for the NHS?

55 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

What is next?

Pay freezes and P45s for the NHS?

Clearly, much higher pay and yet more and more staff. 1.4m!!!!!!!!

On 6/10/2020 at 7:59 AM, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

But but we were total the worst offenders are immigrunts innit. 

Have a drive around slough -the the council has prosecuted 100;s of Asian immigrants and told other to remove garden building that are being rented out -  they have a helicopter that flies in the area to look for illegal structures in the garden. It is also immigrants who drive the demand for this sort of housing as they come here with no job skills and often cannot speak English so earn minimum wage if they are lucky.

I feel no sympathy at all for anyone who espouses mass immigration but then whines that they cannot afford to buy a house or pay a high rent.  If a person cannot understand that basic law of  supply and demand they get what they deserve.