House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
john_d_uk

Dartford (greenhithe)

I have a house in Greenhithe, on the Thames waterfront, I bought it 5 yrs ago, but I am wondering what to do with it. The property is currently rented out, and just covering an interest only mortgage, but I'm now wondering whether to sell.

The new International railway station (Ebbsfleet) opens at the end of this year and is only 1 mile away. I was hoping this would add to the house price, but now wondering if this will off set what I think will be the start of tha nationwide fall, beginning this year.

Any advice?

:ph34r:

Edited by john_d_uk

Does the Thames Gateway development plan extend that far down? I know that from about Woolwich and eastwards they are building an absolute TON of new flats. Oversupply?

Does the Thames Gateway development plan extend that far down? I know that from about Woolwich and eastwards they are building an absolute TON of new flats. Oversupply?

I'm not sure; but oversupply is one of my worries, both for the selling and rental market. As I do not live in the area any more, I wonder if any HPC'ers are better placed to advise on current market conditions.

JD

simple answer... yes.

Throw in rising sea-levels and I think there could be a spot of bother in the medium term.

simple answer... yes.

Throw in rising sea-levels and I think there could be a spot of bother in the medium term.

Anyone else got any local info about the Dartford / Gravesend area?

Help!!

:unsure:

Anyone else got any local info about the Dartford / Gravesend area?

Help!!

:unsure:

From what I see from Swanscombe prices seem pretty stable in the area, i think there was a drop in dartford at the back end of 2004 and into 2005. Northfleet seems to be doing quite well (possibly ebbsfleet effect). I think the older Greenhithe properties may be being crowded out by the supremely hyped developments at Ingress Park and Waterstone park.

Pete

From what I see from Swanscombe prices seem pretty stable in the area, i think there was a drop in dartford at the back end of 2004 and into 2005. Northfleet seems to be doing quite well (possibly ebbsfleet effect). I think the older Greenhithe properties may be being crowded out by the supremely hyped developments at Ingress Park and Waterstone park.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Wondering whether to wait until the Ebbsfleet station is open before I sell.

The trouble is that may be right in the middle of HPC 2006/07 :o

Thanks Pete,

Wondering whether to wait until the Ebbsfleet station is open before I sell.

The trouble is that may be right in the middle of HPC 2006/07 :o

I suspect that while the station might have a positive effect, the actual effect will be somewhat less than the anticipated effect. It *may* be the case that its already been priced in - it certainly seems likely.

I suspect that while the station might have a positive effect, the actual effect will be somewhat less than the anticipated effect. It *may* be the case that its already been priced in - it certainly seems likely.

I would agree with that. The areas nearer to Ebbsfleet (Swanscombe and especially Northfleet) are closing the gap with the more desirable areas of either borough. The gap between prices in Swanscombe and the central Dartford area is much less pronounced that it has been (comparing like for like properties - mainly the Victorian Terraces). the thing to watch is to see if people start punting houses around Ebbsfleet as a good location to get to the Olympics in 2012 as the station will be one stop from Stratford. Personally I am staying put in my victorian Terrace for a few years yet. Prices are insane currently, with the studio flats in Swanscombe going for around 90-100k, despite the fact they are complete crapholes.

Pete

Prices certainly seem to be fairly buoyant still in DA11. I suspect that the early speculators are here already. I live in Northfleet and been reading up on what the plans are.

From the website lcrhq.co.uk they say the journey time to London is going to be 17 minutes and there will be 9000 park and ride spaces. If you are optimistic then that potentially means room for 9000 commuters moving out of London to more affordable housing - pushing up local prices. Alternatively it means locals have better access to London jobs and London wages. Either way that's a significant upwards price pressure.

In the new 'Ebbsfleet City' there are planned 3000 new homes and 20,000 new jobs. Say two workers per new home, then that leaves 14,000 jobs to be filled by nearby residents or people from further out considering moving in to be closer to work. Again that has got mean a significant local price bubble in 2007-9.

After that then the Olympic influx should go on with medium term speculators moving in for the 2012 frenzy. I see Ebbsfleet gets a mention in the official Olympic site. Local properties should still provide affordable accomodation when compared to London prices so I expect savvy Olympians would buy early to avoid the rush. And there's always Bluewater Shopping Centre as the local attraction so its not like they'd be missing out on eateries and such like.

Anyway, maybe I'm just being optimistic but I'm sitting in my 1930's terrace with my fingers crossed.

Hi John D,

What you don't say is why you wan't to sell. Are you worried about a possible House Price Crash, which in most peoples opinion isn't going to happen.

If you will be making a decent profit from the sale, which I expect you will if you purchased 5 years ago, and you need the money, then sell.

If you don't need the cash at this point, then hold onto the property. Ebbsfleet, Thames Gateway regeneration will only push prices up.

When the international station was built at Ashford, prices shot through the roof, okay, market was strong, but good indicator.

As a kent dweller and investor, I think things are looking good now and even better in the future. Pick yourself up a 1 bed flat in Northfleet for under 50K and watch as it doubles in price over next few years.

Good luck with what you decide, and if you do decide to sell, I can make you a quick cash offer for it.