House Price Crash Forum

Tories Maintain Double Digit Lead

So how does this impact HPC?

During a crisis, the status quo remains.  Blair had a massive lead even with the Fire Brigade strike and the Oil hauliers strike.

Just now, msi said:

So how does this impact HPC?

During a crisis, the status quo remains.  Blair had a massive lead even with the Fire Brigade strike and the Oil hauliers strike.

HPI forever is their number 1 priority. Indeed for either party! 

1 minute ago, Warlord said:
1 minute ago, Warlord said:

HPI forever is their number 1 priority. Indeed for either party! 

So it becomes irrelevant who is in the lead :)

My observation, as someone who isn't particularly political, is that Starmers been a complete non-entity during this crisis. 

I know he's usually regarded as concisely beating Boris at PMQs, but outside that I can't recall a single speech, soundbite, or picture of Starmer doing anything. To the majority of the population I don't think he registers at all. 

13 minutes ago, Patfig said:

Boris could steal the crown jewels and still be ahead in the polls

It will no doubt bewilder the folks in the Cummings thread - last week's social media storm this week's chip paper!

People have short memories - now many pubs have essentially reopened by the back door and they can have barbecues in their back garden with their friends and family they have moved on. My local Matalan has even reopened today - two weeks ahead of the supposed 15 June date for clothes and department stores - it supposedly illegal but no one cares as the pent up demand for cheap disposable clothing after two months is immense it seems!

We aren't going to have any elections for 11 months bar possibly a by election - of course lets see how things are in the winter when furlough ends and the recession may be really hitting and the first public sector cuts begin.

Edited by MARTINX9
2 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

The people want Brexit and by god they'll do anything to get it. 

Even losing their jobs and maybe even their lives is a price worth ,just so long as we leave the EU with no deal.

As that famous Scot Mel Gibson once said

"They may take away our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!"

Or as he also said:

"We all end up dead, it's just a question of how and why"

Don't you just love a bit of hyperbole!

Does the whole point of leaving the EU mean a better quality of life for all, better jobs, more freedom and choice........we can only but wait and see, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.....being baked at the moment.?

5 minutes ago, winkie said:

Does the whole point of leaving the EU mean a better quality of life for all, better jobs, more freedom and choice........we can only but wait and see, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.....being baked at the moment.?

All? Of course not. Nothing can do that. One person's improvement is something another is ambivalent to and a negative to someone else, even if they all appear to be in exactly the same situation. The best you can hope from anything is a net better quality of life, which IMO boils down to a net increase in happiness, and what makes people happy is subjective. It's a mistake to believe that you can determine objectively the best course of action, you can only do that with respect to ultimately subjective criteria.

8 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

All? Of course not. Nothing can do that. One person's improvement is something another is ambivalent to and a negative to someone else, even if they all appear to be in exactly the same situation. The best you can hope from anything is a net better quality of life, which IMO boils down to a net increase in happiness, and what makes people happy is subjective. It's a mistake to believe that you can determine objectively the best course of action, you can only do that with respect to ultimately subjective criteria.

Straight forward question:

Ignoring COVID and everything else, genuinely, in five years time what practical day to day issue do you think is going to make many people happier as a result of having left the EU? 

6 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Straight forward question:

Ignoring COVID and everything else, genuinely, in five years time what practical day to day issue do you think is going to make many people happier as a result of having left the EU? 

We will be spending US$ 

7 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Even I'm surprised by that.

Still not strictly comfortable with being reliant on idiots to keep us in power, but I suppose someone has to hoover up the below average IQ votes.

Well I agree it would be unfair to withdraw the franchise from people like you!

Seriously though your sorts of arguments were used in the past to deny working class men who didn't own property the right to vote, to deny women the vote and in the US to deny black people the vote. Thankfully we don't live in a world anymore where only people who think they are innately superior to everyone else are the only ones who can vote!

After all if that was the case we would never have had Labour governments in the 20th century!! 

Edited by MARTINX9
1 minute ago, MARTINX9 said:

Seriously though your sorts of arguments were used in the past to deny working class men who didn't own property to vote, to deny women the vote and in the US deny black people the vote. Thankfully we don't live in a world anymore where only people who think they are innately superior to everyone else are the only ones who can vote.

Well it seems that the criteria for denying people a vote has changed - it used to be based on what you happened to be born as, now it seems to be "don't have the same opinions and values as me."

2 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Seriously though your sorts of arguments were used in the past to deny working class men who didn't own property the right to vote, to deny women the vote and in the US to deny black people the vote. Thankfully we don't live in a world anymore where only people who think they are innately superior to everyone else are the only ones who can vote!

After all if that was the case we would never have had Labour governments in the 20th century!!

Yes. Going swimmingly isn't it.

Democracy the world over has never been "happier".

Just now, Riedquat said:

Well it seems that the criteria for denying people a vote has changed - it used to be based on what you happened to be born as, now it seems to be "don't have the same opinions and values as me."

I'm pretty sure this lot do tbf.

I hate foreigners and paying for public services that I really don't use.

1 minute ago, Simhadri said:

Why can't Brexit party rename itself and start trying to become a mainstream political force.

Sick off this 2 horse race.

2 sides of same coin.

Because Putin is done with it now.