House Price Crash Forum

Are all mattresses *hit ?

longgone

17 minutes ago, longgone said:

i do spend a lot of time in bed ?

was going to venture to ikea for one of their cheap and cheerful open spring jobs as they have a 25 year guarantee 

decided not too 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/ikea-reopens-19-stores-thousands-22118818

Heard good things about Dream mattresses but they aint cheap!

For me I get them from a local shop  that sells beds and furniture. I doubt they're still in business though.

56 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Gone through a few of them in the last few years due to springs inside just going. it does my head in. 

If you think about it you do spend a lot of time on them so I suppose its not surprising.

My Tempur mattress was dumped at the wife's behest after 15 years (she hated it). It was in almost perfect nick when I went. Shame, i loved it.

Just now, Peter Hun said:

My Tempur mattress was dumped at the wife's behest after 15 years (she hated it). It was in almost perfect nick when I went. Shame, i loved it.

15 years !! 

They say you should replace them every 7 years I think.

I suppose its worth spending a few quid as the ones i've had don't seem to last.

Thing is, every manufacturer makes pocket sprung mattresses these days, not a sign of quality in itself.

We've had our pocket sprung mattress for over ten years and it's still going strong, no dips or lumpiness, still firm & comfortable, still like new really. It was from Ikea and was about £500 at the time.

On 01/06/2020 at 16:04, Peter Hun said:

We have a Tempur, well actually 2 as it is an adjustable super king. The mattresses have lasted really well (10 years) and will do at least another 5 years, but again not cheap. 

Sadly I think with mattresses you do get what you pay for. 

Certainly a much better investment that the futon I bought for the spare room in my first house. Top tip, never sleep on a futon! 

On 01/06/2020 at 16:08, Warlord said:

15 years !! 

They say you should replace them every 7 years I think.

I suppose its worth spending a few quid as the ones i've had don't seem to last.

That is less of an issue with Tempur; sprung ones can house millions of bed bugs, but there aren't the pockets in a foam mattress like Tempur to do that. 

Overall I like Tempur mattresses, the only downside I would say is that they effectively heat mould to you when you get in, so feel softer if you run a warm house. Could be a bit hard if you are too tight on the heating. 

On 02/06/2020 at 08:36, Andy T said:

Thing is, every manufacturer makes pocket sprung mattresses these days, not a sign of quality in itself.

We've had our pocket sprung mattress for over ten years and it's still going strong, no dips or lumpiness, still firm & comfortable, still like new really. It was from Ikea and was about £500 at the time.

i had a ikea mattress for many years sultan something and the thick mattress pad on top was about £500 for the lot best sleep i had for years, trouble is the sides split on the mattress.  They are supposed to have a 25 year guarantee but not without a receipt. Typical the receipt turns up 6 months after i threw the mattress out. 

i hate memory foam so wont being going near them. 

Archived