House Price Crash Forum

How much should the Furlough payment per month have been?

How much should the Furlough payment per month have been?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How much should the furlough payment have been per month?

• £240.66PM as the dole
    • £359.52PM as the sickness benefit
    • £1000PM
    • £2500PM
    • £2500PM+

How much should the furlough payment have been.

Lets assume the Government tells all Banks and mortgages companies that they have to give a mortgage holiday if asked but can add on normal interest but no penalties.

i dont really get all the anger towards the payment. My best guess is there is a lot of angry people on the doll who dont feel its fair that the worthwhile in society are getting bailed out?

i mean they were going to print plenty of money either way, and rack up debt either way, so might as well support the economy in the short term.

i tend to think its more the unemployed feeling annoyed, than the cash rich (who are hoping to pick up cheap property).

I do wonder how many people are on HPC not because they ever have any hope of buying a house (unemployed) but instead as a form of jealousy?  

i came to HPC as an incredibly hard working person, angry that all the hard work would not mean a suitable house for me to live in without extreme sacrifice, but now years later having learnt a lot from HPC, and made plenty of money directly due to HPC, i did manage to buy a house.

it was clear since 2013 that the government would always bail out the feckless. so hop on board that gravy train (but be hedged).

The furlough scheme in hindsight was obvious.

never pays to be workshy. 

I think anything less than 60% and *some* employees would have just plain refused to accept the new terms taking their chances that they won't be made redundant. Or preferring the "money for nothing" of their stat redundancy payout. 

Lowering the payment would have also increased the number of UC claims being made for those already on a low wage. So what they don't pay in the furlough scheme they end up paying in UC. No doubt the treasury will have modeled this scenario. 

Decision to pay a salary for furlough workers of £3000 (if include NIC and pensions) was a uttery madness, again showing how corrupt the whole system is. It was purposed not to protect lifes of ordinary people but for rich landlords, business owners, homeowners so they don't feel any inconvinience of dropping values of their assets even in short-term. 

The cost of this furlough program is outrageous. There will be higher taxes and years of austerity ahead. Or BOE will monetize the debt, pound again go to trash and all prices rise and we will see another wave of bankrupcies in retail sector as people will not be able to afford buying the stuff. We all will have to pay for it one way or another as UK doesnt have a reserve currency like US, and doesnt have strong export industry like Germany or Japan.

Instead of doing this stupid furlough subsidies the government could just be paying up to £1000 each person per month who lost income/job due to pandemic. This would be much cheaper option with better results.

I thought from the start, same as the old age pension. Might give people a wake up call if nothing else. As it is you’ve got people receiving far in excess of their elderly neighbours.

Struck me as quite significant that both employers furlough payments and self employed grants were anti-means-tested, i.e. the more you earned the more you got, the exact opposite of universal credit and other government handouts.

I would have preferred an option for 60%.

At 80% it is just far too much, with a reduction in other costs there are people effectively better off during lockdown - combined with the great weather they will be hard to encourage back.

Let’s not forget the key workers (other than the NHS) who have been picking up the slack and often getting a pay cut for their trouble.

Edited by LetsBuild

I would have made it 1200 a month. The same amount somebody working on the minimum wage would get for a 38 hour week. How could anyone object to the government giving them the same amount of money to stay at home as a fellow citizen is receiving for slogging their guts out at Asda? Surely those who rail at benefit scroungers should be able to survive on over four times the dole and double the state pension for a few months? If this was france i would understand the anti means tested nature of the payments, as that is how their benefits system works normally. But not in Britain. 240 quid if you lose your job, irrespective of whatever you paid in. 

I think the anger is therefore aimed at a certain British hypocrisy, that says this is ok for the likes of them but not for me. It is a bail out for the middle class feckless. If somebody wants to be mortgaged to the hilt, to live in the best area(and take the profits when selling during good times), have several luxury holidays a year, new cars, private school for kids, but zero savings for a rainy day, well that is their choice. But it isnt their entitlement. 

36 minutes ago, anonguest said:

You left out a 'ZERO' option in your poll.

I did not think anybody would have the courage to vote Zero, what would the peer group think

1 hour ago, nothernsoul said:

I would have made it 1200 a month. The same amount somebody working on the minimum wage would get for a 38 hour week. How could anyone object to the government giving them the same amount of money to stay at home as a fellow citizen is receiving for slogging their guts out at Asda? Surely those who rail at benefit scroungers should be able to survive on over four times the dole and double the state pension for a few months? If this was france i would understand the anti means tested nature of the payments, as that is how their benefits system works normally. But not in Britain. 240 quid if you lose your job, irrespective of whatever you paid in. 

I think the anger is therefore aimed at a certain British hypocrisy, that says this is ok for the likes of them but not for me. It is a bail out for the middle class feckless. If somebody wants to be mortgaged to the hilt, to live in the best area(and take the profits when selling during good times), have several luxury holidays a year, new cars, private school for kids, but zero savings for a rainy day, well that is their choice. But it isnt their entitlement. 

More or less this. Great post. I feel incredibly sorry for the people who've been working throughout in our local shops for buttons. If people were going to get 2k for nothing, anyone working and earning less than that in 'key worker' roles should at least have been topped up to that too, if they weren't already via UC or tax credits.

In terms of the (max) amount though, yeah I think it was about right.  

sadly the furlough payment was a temporary debt forgiveness treat for the debt rich cash poor. debt slaves are useful in that they have followed the path that is set out for them from birth and they will stay on that designated path, but the path will narrow and the lovely grass verges either side will get smaller and smaller till there is just hard tarmac left.  They will keep the tarmac road (mortgage) to walk down that`s a one way street with a bright light at the end then nothingness but all the nice grassy treats wither away either side and will be a distant memory in the very near future.

all those in debt will have is a hard road ahead with no affordability of all the grassy treats to accompany the hard road.  but they must stay on the road can`t create a road block can we with worn out debt slaves. 

17 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

i dont really get all the anger towards the payment. My best guess is there is a lot of angry people on the doll who dont feel its fair that the worthwhile in society are getting bailed out?

i mean they were going to print plenty of money either way, and rack up debt either way, so might as well support the economy in the short term.

i tend to think its more the unemployed feeling annoyed, than the cash rich (who are hoping to pick up cheap property).

I do wonder how many people are on HPC not because they ever have any hope of buying a house (unemployed) but instead as a form of jealousy?  

i came to HPC as an incredibly hard working person, angry that all the hard work would not mean a suitable house for me to live in without extreme sacrifice, but now years later having learnt a lot from HPC, and made plenty of money directly due to HPC, i did manage to buy a house.

it was clear since 2013 that the government would always bail out the feckless. so hop on board that gravy train (but be hedged).

As someone who has 'fallen out of the net' because I have too much capital I can't claim a penny and to see so many people on a long holiday on 80 - 100% pay to sit at home, I find very annoying. I am applying for jobs but there aren't many out there. You would think from media coverage that there are loads of key worker type jobs, healthcare, supermarkets etc but not when I look. So I dismay as I see my savings disappearing every month. I worked hard to build all that up. I feel Ishouldn't have bothered and spent the lot on nice living instead.

Edited by bear.getting.old
17 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

If I worked at tesco, or worked delivering parcels, i'd be pretty pissed off to have people coming in buying crates of booze who aren't working and are getting to enjoy the great weather for months on end..

Its harshest against  the working and low middle class people. 

12 hours ago, nothernsoul said:

+1. Agree 100%

Edited by cbathpc
adding in another quote

S Korea, Sweden, Japan, Hong Kong, Spore, Taiwan. 
Norway admitting they ought not to have locked down.

Stupidest mistake since WW1 and biggest scam in history.

9 minutes ago, Killer Bunny said:

S Korea, Sweden, Japan, Hong Kong, Spore, Taiwan. 
Norway admitting they ought not to have locked down.

Stupidest mistake since WW1 and biggest scam in history.

When have any of these countries said this? Sweden didn't lockdown. The South Koreans and Taiwanese didn't stop working.

You're off your gourd, fool. Even more than usual!

The more I think about it the more I'm struggling to understand why JSA and the state pension differ. 

I I can't see a UBI but I can see jsa doubling to bring it into line with the state pension. 

And IMHO the furlough should have been that amount. 

Is there a chart showing the furlough amounts paid in different countries. I know the USA paid a si gle amount of $1200 which they claw back in taxes next year. 

Goodness.  I am saying bcos they didn't lockdown and they've see no material difference in numbers AND no economic collapse, WE should not have Locked down.

Biggest scam in history and stupidest mistake since WW1.  However I have nothing more to say on it as this is not the right forum.  Go to my twitter.