House Price Crash Forum
FANG

Why should we pay our TV licence?

It’s a licence to watch the BBC. If you don’t want to watch the BBC go on to their website and unsubscribe.

Why should you have to unsubscribe?

7 minutes ago, MarkD said:

It’s a licence to watch the BBC. If you don’t want to watch the BBC go on to their website and unsubscribe.

No its a licence to watch television - whether you watch the BBC or not. If you never ever watch the BBC but only Sky or ITV etc you have to pay it.

2 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

No its a licence to watch television - whether you watch the BBC or not. If you never ever watch the BBC but only Sky or ITV etc you have to pay it.

Others may disagree. When the individuals come knocking to ask you why you don't have a licence what to do? Some say don't answer the door to BBC inspectors and don't communicate and the BBC are helpless. They go away. Some say we must pay. I for one pay as I don't need the hassle, but if I had to chose between paying or eating during the coming depression I may reconsider.

Maybe its about time we collectively said PHUQ U  to the BBC.

The Revolution will be televised. 

One little acorn or one little match can start a big fire.

3 hours ago, Crowdedmarket said:

Others may disagree. When the individuals come knocking to ask you why you don't have a licence what to do? Some say don't answer the door to BBC inspectors and don't communicate and the BBC are helpless. They go away. Some say we must pay. I for one pay as I don't need the hassle, but if I had to chose between paying or eating during the coming depression I may reconsider.

I have friends who were unfortunate enough to get a criminal record for non payment of TV license. They do not just go away.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/12/23/bbc-criminalising-thousands-young-people-failing-pay-licence/

If you genuinely don't have a telly, and never watch anything BBC on your device, what then? Who is the burden of proof on? 

4 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

That’s a lie. Complete and utter frabricated  bull. 

4 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

That’s a lie. Complete and utter frabricated  bull. 

5 hours ago, captainb said:

I have friends who were unfortunate enough to get a criminal record for non payment of TV license. They do not just go away.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/12/23/bbc-criminalising-thousands-young-people-failing-pay-licence/

Indeed. Some say not opening the door or giving any communication who you are makes the BBCs job to fine you impossible as they need your name for any legal proceedings. Not saying it's ethical, just some do it to avoid the fee. It's all over you tube.

6 hours ago, Orb said:

If you genuinely don't have a telly, and never watch anything BBC on your device, what then? Who is the burden of proof on? 

According to the law you need to pay for a license, if you watch live broadcasts (also I think if you have receiving equipment installed to receive live broadcasts).

If you don't, then my understanding of the law is, that you don't need to do anything, you don't need to pay, you don't need to tell anyone, you don't need to open any threatening letters telling you that you might need to pay etc.

I stopped paying a TV license when they switched to digital TV, because I didn't have the equipment and couldn't be arsd buying the gear and setting it up.

You can get so much on Netflix, Youtube, boards like this, who seriously needs to sit and look at live broadcast TV these days?

32 minutes ago, erat_forte said:

I stopped paying a TV license when they switched to digital TV, because I didn't have the equipment and couldn't be arsd buying the gear and setting it up.

You can get so much on Netflix, Youtube, boards like this, who seriously needs to sit and look at live broadcast TV these days?

That's exactly me, I don't think of it that I gave up on TV, more that the BBC gave up on me.

And then the licence people became so obnoxious with the constant 'warning' letters, despite me clearly telling them I don't have a TV, it would take a lot for me to ever consider giving them money again.

5 hours ago, Crowdedmarket said:

Indeed. Some say not opening the door or giving any communication who you are makes the BBCs job to fine you impossible as they need your name for any legal proceedings. Not saying it's ethical, just some do it to avoid the fee. It's all over you tube.

Is that a risk you really want? Not opening the door etc etc

If you dont watch broadcast tv fair enough but if you do there are easier ways of saving 160 quid in my view 

10 hours ago, Habeas Domus said:

That's exactly me, I don't think of it that I gave up on TV, more that the BBC gave up on me.

And then the licence people became so obnoxious with the constant 'warning' letters, despite me clearly telling them I don't have a TV, it would take a lot for me to ever consider giving them money again.

I never told them, just ignored everything.

I may have posted this a long time ago. A colleague who had no TV after he split with his wife (soaps had something to do with it) received a letter and replied no TV.

The correspondence continued and he took to sending his notification on ever larger sheets of paper.

In the end he did something like painted the message on a flag which he folded many times into a large package and posted off to them. Postage was a lot cheaper back then, or seemed to be.

At this they finally gave up. I expect they later resumed after I left the job a couple of years later but I never saw him again.

On 29/05/2020 at 22:36, FANG said:

Maybe its about time we collectively said PHUQ U  to the BBC.

The Revolution will be televised. 

One little acorn or one little match can start a big fire.

It's been done. It's only old ladies who pay the fee because they don't like getting the letters. 

If they show up at the door just make sure you tell them that you don't watch television but you watch the odd movie on DVD.

How do they prove you watch live TV (from a legal point of view)? Given the vast array of options for entertainment in the home means they can no longer say if you have a TV you my default must watch/record live?

Presumably Britbox is paving the way for entering a license number/card details in so the BBC must know that.

Squish the coax connector with pliers so that the tuner cant be used and invite them in to see it.

I believe the BBC's charter is next up for renewal at the end of 2027 and they'll be facing an existential threat at that point. Back in March the government was talking about decriminalising non-payment of the licence - clearly Boris doesn't like them.