House Price Crash Forum

Sentiment survey. Covid impact on the property market.

The Northern Ireland property website and estate agent portal Property Pal is looking for views on the property market post covid. I wanted to put a shout out on HPC to try and add a bit of "balance" of opinion. 

The site's chief economist has been pretty bullish in his outlook. Sees a 3-5% drop followed by a rise in 2021 back to normal. He suggests NI is undervalued because prices are historically 20% less than England. Currently 40% less. Of course all the revenue from the site comes from EA listings.

Link for the survey below. It's open to residents throughout the UK but it would be good for some realistic responses from NI also. I expect the local EAs here to be getting the furloughed staff to fill multiple copies. 

https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/ZLQAG8/

I put -41-50%, but that isn't what I actually think. But because it's an EA that's put this survey out there, I wanted to do my bit to put the willies up 'em ?

3 minutes ago, Now or never said:

Couldn't believe wanting a home wasn't an option for buying a house!

I ticked 'other', and wrote "to live in" lol. 

1 minute ago, Now or never said:

I chose same and wrote 'home'.

Had to check a couple of times to see if I was missing something - unbelievable!

Me too. I actually paused and pondered over the question, unlike the other questions. 

1 minute ago, Paul77 said:

"The sense of status" made me laugh :)

I might go back, do another, make out I'm a millionaire landlord cash buyer waiting on the sidelines for a -41-50% decline, and tick other, then write "actual status". 

18 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

I want a detached rural house with driveway, gym, utility room and no noisy neighbours in Derry and Strabane - at 30% off current asking prices.

Hope they can't find me somewhere!

Would you settle for a terrace in East Belfast with an outside toilet  and drug dealers on either side for 15% more? 

21 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

Would you settle for a terrace in East Belfast with an outside toilet  and drug dealers on either side for 15% more? 

Only if it has an indoor gym - as I'm Catholic it would have to be in west Belfast though!.

9 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Only if it has an indoor gym - as I'm Catholic it would have to be in west Belfast though!.

… near the balls on the Falls, where you can go up Broadway, there are 3 sure things in life - death, taxes and student nurses.

Only a local will get those 3 references :)

1 hour ago, Belfast Boy said:

… near the balls on the Falls, where you can go up Broadway, there are 3 sure things in life - death, taxes and student nurses.

Only a local will get those 3 references :)

Don't forget the student teacher from the Ranch too. 

On 27/05/2020 at 21:53, MARTINX9 said:

I'm not from Ireland, so probably have no right to comment on such matters, but I find it incredible when people's belief system plays a part in choosing where to live. I'm not saying it's irrelevant (I've no doubt it is still a source of conflict in some areas), but why in this day and age does it matter. I've lived in 12+ English/Scottish towns and not once has my religion been asked or affected the decision. It feels archaic to me!

Btw this is not a criticism of you, and I'm sure you were being slightly flippant, I'm just astonished that it was/is a factor in choosing a home.

1 hour ago, Sausage said:

I'm not from Ireland, so probably have no right to comment on such matters, but I find it incredible when people's belief system plays a part in choosing where to live. I'm not saying it's irrelevant (I've no doubt it is still a source of conflict in some areas), but why in this day and age does it matter. I've lived in 12+ English/Scottish towns and not once has my religion been asked or affected the decision. It feels archaic to me!

Btw this is not a criticism of you, and I'm sure you were being slightly flippant, I'm just astonished that it was/is a factor in choosing a home.

Take the Clonards and Falls border lines, look back in British history and it wasn't unlike what has gone on in Britain on a bigger scale ? .. Some places in the UK are still not far off it, parts of Scotland for example.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sausage said:

It's a "strange" place to say the least. I can say that having lived here since birth. Too much to get into and bore the HPC masses but from a purely practical POV, school choices, particularly primary play a massive part in area "makeup". The schools here are divided under religious lines, catholic and state primaries. Catchment plays its part. Catholic areas around catholic schools etc.

Ghetto areas historically made up of one religion are all over the place. People are uncomfortable with that culture so don't move there. Kids from there suffer deprivation and don't move out and see the world, rise and repeat. The powers that be are there because voting is tribal. No chance of an intervention so nothing changes. 

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

Just inherited a house due to my mother passing, not covid btw the other big C, however, got a few estate agents over to value for probate and I grilled them for their opinions on the market now and over the next few months and the next year.

All had similar experiences and expectations:

Past 2months, market has been in lockdown but demand has still been there from buyers at a rate of approx 120 sales in area per month, there in past week or so that locked up demand has just been released and they have seen one month's demand in a week and a half.

Now to mid July, demand expected to settle down after pent up buyers and sellers reflect. Prices not expected to move.

July to end Oct, owners beginning to see concerns about job security from November. More enquiries about selling expected.

November onwards, as furlough ends, redundancies begin, more properties flood the market as sellers are desperate to reduce their monthly outgoings. Prices are expected to drop by 10% over the next 12months (to may 2021).