House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ollie plimsolls

1700 Jobs To Go At Landrover Solihull

More excellent news! More of our limited manufacturing industry hitting the dust. More people to move into the service industries.

I'll never forget a documentary on the box some years ago showing what happened to the steel workers in Corby when they shut the blast furnaces down.

You know the scene, hard b@stards working in bloody awful conditions, huge cauldrons of molten metal, noise, sweat and dirt etc. But earning good money and the respect of anyone who had any idea what they did for a living.

Fast forward - few years later. Blast furnaces all gone, nice little factories on nice little industrial states. Can't remember who the new employer was - someone who makes cakes or burgers - some sort of tasteless, manky packaged food. Blokes that used to work in blast furnaces now dressed up in silly white overalls with their hair tucked into those dopey caps with netting - standing on production lines making bloody cakes for the minimum wage. You could see the humiliation all over their faces.

That is not good for the West Midlands.

Lots of the MG Rover boys are still out of work, as far as Crash Gordon goes, they are "re-training", etc to fiddle the figures.

This will be another blow to the West Midlands.

Did the report say why?? Are Ford moving Freelander up to Halewood?

Did the report say why?? Are Ford moving Freelander up to Halewood?

Yes they are....I work in the industry. New model coming this year. Same platform as Galaxy, Mondeo and a host of Volvos due to come out in the future.

Hrm, I feared this would happen a couple of weeks back when Ford announced those big plant closures in the US. I was concerned about Halewood where the X-Type is made, they've been on a three day week various times throughout the last year. Hrm, it seens things are shifting from Birmingham to Halewood because it's a better plant. It seems the unions have just stumbled on yet another landmine they planted for themselves 30 years ago, what a bunch of stupid shortsighted belligerent buggers they were.

There is way too much over capacity in the industry, in the US there is enough plant to produce 20m cars yet there is only a market for 16m and unless you're running things at full capacity (or beyond) you're not making money.

Edited by BuyingBear

Hope you're not rejoycing that people are out of work.

It was pretty obvious to me that he wasn't rejoicing at this news! It's called irony...

Regards,

crude

It was pretty obvious to me that he wasn't rejoicing at this news! It's called irony...

Regards,

crude

we need some <sarcasm> and <irony> tags

I am in West Midlands and house prices are very weak around here--down 10% last year. 1700 losing jobs probably translates into about 600 homes on the market for sale as there are very few manufacturing jobs left. The economic cycle is spinning around to negative very rapidly it seems.

HPC 2006.

I am in West Midlands and house prices are very weak around here--down 10% last year. 1700 losing jobs probably translates into about 600 homes on the market for sale as there are very few manufacturing jobs left. The economic cycle is spinning around to negative very rapidly it seems.

Actually Solihull is quite nice, I went to Blythe Valley recently to visit Oracle, however other parts of the Midlands largely comes across as a rusting hulk and it's quite depressing. This is due to a combination of factors over many years, the unions acted like complete idiots and North Sea oil has kept the pound unduly strong over the decades, which is not good for exports, and there has always been somewhat of a disconnect between industry and the City, the production base isn't aligned with the capital base as it is in Europe. The era of globalisation and China seem to be the final nail.

I'm not sure where things go from here, new private investment is being stunted because the infrastructure is crap and there is not the same level of government largess as seen in the North East, where public money sloshes around on a Soviet scale, which is probably a good thing.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Irony is easy to understand.

It's like bronzey and goldy.

Only made of iron.