Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, longgone said:

NOPE !

nsi bond a massive 1.16% at least its 100% safe every bit of cash in this household is going to nsi in one way or another. 

Have you thought about Tesla, my last minute choice for this years ISA (mine and wife's).

The market for overpriced milk floats looks pretty good at the moment and a wilder ride than nsi.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Have you thought about Tesla, my last minute choice for this years ISA (mine and wife's).

The market for overpriced milk floats looks pretty good at the moment and a wilder ride than nsi.  

i have to believe in the product rather than just returns ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rantnrave said:

If house prices would fall 20%, I wouldn't have this problem...

I agree with this, it is a problem. I’m going for the option of safety, rather than return.  Don’t even trust the FSCS amount of £85 , it may be reduced and I am not taking any chances!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

 

On 01/06/2020 at 16:56, longgone said:

i have to believe in the product rather than just returns ;) 

My belief seems to have paid off, just got an email from our ISA provider saying the Tesla shares have tripled and suggesting I think about rebalancing. 

Have to think hard about that. Whether to cash in now and use the profit to get a half price roadster or hang on in the hope of getting a free one. It all depends whether the rumours about the new battery tech are anything like true. If they are the price has a very long way to go, if not it could bomb.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Confusion of VIs said:

 

My belief seems to have paid off, just got an email from our ISA provider saying the Tesla shares have tripled and suggesting I think about rebalancing. 

Have to think hard about that. Whether to cash in now and use the profit to get a half price roadster or hang on in the hope of getting a free one. It all depends whether the rumours about the new battery tech are anything like true. If they are the price has a very long way to go, if not it could bomb.   

 

Whoever leads the battery innovation is going to win big time and if I knew that, I could make a mint.

Solar storage, cars. Even e-bikes are huge but going to get much bigger. Much, much bigger.

If Tesla are on the verge of something then that could explain the stock returns, because the car market doesn't.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

 

My belief seems to have paid off, just got an email from our ISA provider saying the Tesla shares have tripled and suggesting I think about rebalancing. 

Have to think hard about that. Whether to cash in now and use the profit to get a half price roadster or hang on in the hope of getting a free one. It all depends whether the rumours about the new battery tech are anything like true. If they are the price has a very long way to go, if not it could bomb.   

 

well done.  had i invested as well the shares would have never risen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Whoever leads the battery innovation is going to win big time and if I knew that, I could make a mint.

Solar storage, cars. Even e-bikes are huge but going to get much bigger. Much, much bigger.

If Tesla are on the verge of something then that could explain the stock returns, because the car market doesn't.

 

They also have their virtual power grid, software that can link potentially millions of batteries to the grid providing virtual power stations that can by switched on and supplying power to the National Grid in milliseconds. 

This has the potential to save vast amounts of money by reducing peak power requirements, the need to keep standby stations continually running to cover outages and the costs of preparing the grid for the move to EVs. Some analysts think this will eventually be worth far more than the car business. 

However, this is also dependent on Tesla successfully producing what are in practical terms everlasting batteries. The rumour that is at least in part driving the price is that Tesla have cracked this and will be announcing it in September with a 20yr warranty on car batteries and 30yrs on home storage batteries. If true the price will rocket if false it will bomb. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, longgone said:

well done.  had i invested as well the shares would have never risen. 

No profit taken yet so there is still the possibility of a roller coaster ride back to the starting point. I genuinely don't know whether I am up for that. I should put a stop loss on but when I have done that in the past I have usually regretted it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Confusion of VIs said:

No profit taken yet so there is still the possibility of a roller coaster ride back to the starting point. I genuinely don't know whether I am up for that. I should put a stop loss on but when I have done that in the past I have usually regretted it. 

Just take your initial Investment Out no loss then.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gold is looking like inflation may be on the way:

Gold Aug 20 (GC=F)

COMEX - COMEX Delayed price. Currency in USD
Add to watchlist
1,808.80+15.30 (+0.85%)
As of 12:51PM EDT. Market open.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bonds on the other hand.......

https://www.ft.com/content/bcebd77c-057b-4fd0-bd99-b97e0e559455#

 

...depends what backs them, Italian Mafia Crime proceeds could be an issue!!!

 

Quote

Miles Johnson in Rome 41 MINUTES AGO:

International investors bought bonds backed by the crime proceeds of Italy’s most powerful mafia, according to financial and legal documents seen by the Financial Times. In one case, the bonds — backed in part by front companies charged with working for the Calabrian ’Ndrangheta mafia group — were purchased by one of Europe’s largest private banks, Banca Generali, in a transaction where consulting services were provided by accountancy group EY. An estimated €1bn of these private bonds were sold to international investors between 2015 and 2019............

You'll need an FT subscription mind you!

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein
Link to post
Share on other sites
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Shamus said:

What about silver?  Heard of a family member buying some recently. Usb it easy to buy and sell?

I have some Gold and Silver, mainly in an eGold account and some physical.

Silver is interesting, it sort of tracks Gold, but does have a linkage to the economy too as it has more industrial uses.

Pricewise it is fairly high in the range right now, but actually hasn't moved greatly, up only 50% or so fromt he $12 a few years ago.

The one downside with Silver is the 20% VAT and CGT that Gold Coins avoid as they are designated legal tender.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I have some Gold and Silver, mainly in an eGold account and some physical.

Silver is interesting, it sort of tracks Gold, but does have a linkage to the economy too as it has more industrial uses.

Pricewise it is fairly high in the range right now, but actually hasn't moved greatly, up only 50% or so fromt he $12 a few years ago.

The one downside with Silver is the 20% VAT and CGT that Gold Coins avoid as they are designated legal tender.

 

 

Thanks for the advice. I wonder if the family member is aware of the extra charge. I will have to find out more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Shamus said:

Thanks for the advice. I wonder if the family member is aware of the extra charge. I will have to find out more. 

Yes, Silver is nice as you can get a 1Kg Bar for reasonable money which feels nice, but it isn't strictly as tax efficient.

And whilst a 1Kg Gold bar would be nice ($57k), the insurance and risk would be a nightmare and whilst it avoids VAT, CGT would apply. 

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Silver is interesting, it sort of tracks Gold, but does have a linkage to the economy too as it has more industrial uses.

Silver is a tiger. Yes, it is consumed industrially, however that is not the only factor.

A significant amount of the supply is alongside gold, copper and other mines. A retraction in the economy usually means copper mines stop producing. Then, even as the price of silver rises, the supply contracts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Yes, Silver is nice as you can get a 1Kg Bar for reasonable money which feels nice, but it isn't strictly as tax efficient.

And whilst a 1Kg Gold bar would be nice ($57k), the insurance and risk would be a nightmare and whilst it avoids VAT, CGT would apply. 

Silver coins are also CGT, but not VAT exempt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.