House Price Crash Forum

Pressure On Dominic Cummings To Quit Over Lockdown Breach

1 minute ago, papag said:

Nope i can just

Look I dont don't like Cummings or Kinnock I judge thing on how i see them and not for political reasons, he was only looking after his child's best interests which any Father would have done. If its proved there were multiple social visits then fair enough he should go instantly, but my opinion is because he was so instrumental in upsetting the left over Brexit and  the massive election victory for the Conservatives  that the left media are throwing everything at this to destroy him . He has obviously upset you with your derogatory comments toward me move on accept the results of democracy you will sleep easier it will also help your mental health :)

This fatuous (Gove) argument seems to be at the centre of Cummings defence. Does it also apply to theft, embezzelment, or just ignoring the lockdown and putting people's lives at risk? 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

This fatuous (Gove) argument seems to be at the centre of Cummings defence. Does it also apply to theft, embezzelment, or just ignoring the lockdown and putting people's lives at risk? 

Gove he'd sell his granny at the drop of a hat

16 hours ago, Warlord said:

No one should lose their job and indeed if he was sacked he would probably win his tribunal.

How could he win a tribunal? He is a political advisor, so isn't it reasonable to sack him at any point due to a change in political strategy? If an advisor can contest a sacking by the PM, could ministers also contest a cabinet reshuffle?!!! 

1 minute ago, Kosmin said:

How could he win a tribunal? He is a political advisor, so isn't it reasonable to sack him at any point due to a change in political strategy? If an advisor can contest a sacking by the PM, could ministers also contest a cabinet reshuffle?!!! 

I'm not a lawyer but I think it's different for ministers... 

I sincerely doubt he will get sacked and if he does he could have a potential claim. The best way is for him to resign if he chooses to do so like Ferguson did.

Just now, Warlord said:

I'm not a lawyer but I think it's different for ministers... 

I sincerely doubt he will get sacked and if he does he could have a potential claim. The best way is for him to resign if he chooses to do so like Ferguson did.

You seem terribly concerned that he may have a claim for unfair dismissal, not sure why that should concern you.

1 minute ago, Patfig said:

You seem terribly concerned that he may have a claim for unfair dismissal, not sure why that should concern you.

The fact that he could get a massive payout at taxpayer expense...

Anyway I find the whole thing silly.  If he went he would be replaced by someone else  and the circus will continue.

1 minute ago, Warlord said:

Anyway I find the whole thing silly.  If he went he would be replaced by someone else  and the circus will continue.

Most people do get replaced so what's your point?

19 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Not really sure what you are getting at ( Im not really into politics ) and may have missed something that's happened  re the theft embezzlement comment.  On the 'putting peoples lives at risk'  if it had been me and I firmly had believed the action was in my child's best interests I would have done the same and taken the full socially distancing precautionary measures which seemingly he did.  As I have already said if hes done it more than once apart from picking his child back up  he should be finished immediately .  

1 hour ago, Roman Roady said:

I suddenly find myself suddenly looking forward to Lockdown 2.0 this summer.

Pass the popcorn.

Yep. Going to be interesting to see how the establishment force people to obey the rules, when it's seen that they ignore them themselves.

Strange that Cummings (for all his supposed genius) couldn't have just apologised yesterday "I was only thinking of my child"...  And if he does get the sack, chances are he can run a think-tank and still get paid by the government. I'm reminded a bit of that Mandelson character. He'll be back pulling the strings, whatever.

3 minutes ago, Warlord said:

I'm struggling to contain my indifference.

Down the years I've learnt to expect the puppets who represent our owners to behave in the way Cummings has. How many more are there?

Is there any point in getting this worm to resign and from what? He's not a minister or even an MP. 

As you say, they'll just get another and who knows, Cummings may pop up again sooner or later having continued to advise and influence meantime.

Maybe he should go, it would make more sense for all of them to resign, not just the ones with the higher profiles. Or that attract the most loathing.

I can't talk, I didn't exactly understand what was going on so I found I'd been breaking the rules almost routinely, even driving past the station from where the cop cars come out.

6 minutes ago, Trampa501 said:

Yep. Going to be interesting to see how the establishment force people to obey the rules, when it's seen that they ignore them themselves.

Strange that Cummings (for all his supposed genius) couldn't have just apologised yesterday "I was only thinking of my child"...  And if he does get the sack, chances are he can run a think-tank and still get paid by the government. I'm reminded a bit of that Mandelson character. He'll be back pulling the strings, whatever.

Yes, I thought of Mandelperson straight away too.

He was only out of government a few months?

6 minutes ago, papag said:

Not really sure what you are getting at ( Im not really into politics ) and may have missed something that's happened  re the theft embezzlement comment.  On the 'putting peoples lives at risk'  if it had been me and I firmly had believed the action was in my child's best interests I would have done the same and taken the full socially distancing precautionary measures which seemingly he did.  As I have already said if hes done it more than once apart from picking his child back up  he should be finished immediately .  

Child best interest is not a excuse to break the law, especially when the situation was not critical and there were other legal options available,

Many thousands of people had to follow the rules despite the fact that was not in the best interest of them and people close to them. Some people couldn't see their family members before they died. That is what pisses off most people. Using his child best interest is a pathetic excuse to cover DC back created by PR advisers , nothing more. DC is simply an arrogant person, who doesn't care about rules. He proved this many times.     

17 minutes ago, papag said:

But where to you draw the line?

I can think of many things I could do to "protect" my children that would end up with me in prison. Stealing to put food on the table for starters, and that puts no lives at risk.

If the lock-down measures are unnecessary perhaps we should all ignore them from now on? Or do we pick and choose which ones to ignore?

31 minutes ago, Warlord said:

I think the media should just stop fixating on personalities and conducting witch hunts. 

They woukdn't know what to do otherwise! Long gone are the days of serious political investigative journalism - gossip, tweets and tittle tattle are the way it works now with the targets selected based on the political agenda of the media outlet.

Edited by MARTINX9
29 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

It's like waiting for the bloody lockdown all over again.

C'mon, Bozo... shake yerself! :lol:

tenor.gif

Now the story is, he broke lockdown three times.

Now Tory MPs demand the head of Dominic Cummings over claims the maverick aide broke lockdown three times

Furious Tory MPs demanded Boris Johnson sack top aide Dominic Cummings today for breaking the coronavirus travel lockdown, as the first cracks in party unity appeared.

Mr Baker told Sky News that Mr Cummings' career had always 'created an awful lot of collateral damage', including the Brexit campaign, adding: 'He is not always right and he certainly isn't indispensable'. 

'If he doesn't resign, we'll just keep burning through Boris's political capital at a rate we can ill afford in the midst of this crisis,' he said.

'It is very clear that Dominic travelled when everybody else understood Dominic's slogans to mean ''stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives''.

Daily Mail

20 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Well I assume the Cabinet and Tory MPs - given they have a majority of 80 and the next election isn't due for four and a half years I expect they will ultimately determine his fate.

Tory unity has some cracks, the list of Tories wanting him to go is growing.

Mr Baker told Sky News that 'I really just don't see, as we approach the Prime Minister (appearing) at the liaison committee on Wednesday, how this is going to go away unless Dominic goes.' 

He also tweeted for Cummings to go, with his message retweeted by Hazel Grove MP William Wragg and another Brexiteer, Sir Peter Bone, told LBC the advisor should quit, saying: 'When an adviser becomes the story, the adviser has to go.'

Simon Hoare, the Tory North Dorset MP and Northern Ireland Select Committee chairman later added his voice to the call, tweeting: 'With the damage Mr Cummings is doing to the Government's reputation he must consider his position. 

'Lockdown has had its challenges for everyone. It's his cavalier ''I don't care; I'm cleverer than you'' tone that infuriates people. He is now wounding the PM/Govt & I don't like that.'

Damian Collins, the former culture committee chairman, also went public this morning, tweeting: 'Dominic Cummings has a track record of believing that the rules don't apply to him and treating the scrutiny that should come to anyone in a position of authority with contempt. The government would be better without him.'

And Sir Roger Gale, the North Thanet MP, said: 'While as a father and as a grandfather I fully appreciate Mr Cummings' desire to protect his child, there cannot be one law for the Prime Minister's staff and another for everyone else. He has sent out completely the wrong message and his position is no longer tenable.'

Daily Mail