House Price Crash Forum

You should definitely use a credit card to buy stuff online because if you get scammed or have problems with the goods it is much easier to get a refund due to consumer law than if you pay by debit card.

I use PayPal wherever i can online because of this. I don't have a CC any more. I think i'm still with CapitalOne (platinum!) but not used it for a long time. I also had an egg.com card back in the day. They were a fully online provider one of the first I think. I used that for online purchases and some business expenses because it was convenient. 

Posted (edited)

The AMEX "Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card" is a free credit card that gives the best cashback I could find, is accepted as a funding source by Paypal, and it's easy to set up a DD to pay the full amount each month so no chance of incurring interest.

Edited by Bruce Banner

I have one of one of the Platinum Charge Cards,  and my wife is also on the account (big mistake). But we do get 2 free Priority Pass lounge passes and travel insurance provided you pay with the card. 

They have whacked the fee up this year, but as we both travel a lot (we'll used to) it isn't bad value on that basis given the lounges mean you don't need to buy airport food. We also can have a guest each which works for the kids when on vacation. I figure if we use it 4 times a year in that way it pays for itself. 

3 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I have one of one of the Platinum Charge Cards,  and my wife is also on the account (big mistake). But we do get 2 free Priority Pass lounge passes and travel insurance provided you pay with the card. 

They have whacked the fee up this year, but as we both travel a lot (we'll used to) it isn't bad value on that basis given the lounges mean you don't need to buy airport food. We also can have a guest each which works for the kids when on vacation. I figure if we use it 4 times a year in that way it pays for itself. 

There are lounges and lounges though those complementary ones don`t tend to offer much apart from a few sofas and a private bar. 

Ba`s lounges in the 00`s had masseurs steam rooms champagne free food and drink the lot.  

7 hours ago, longgone said:

There are lounges and lounges though those complementary ones don`t tend to offer much apart from a few sofas and a private bar. 

Ba`s lounges in the 00`s had masseurs steam rooms champagne free food and drink the lot.  

They do usually have food, but it isn’t the proper sit down dining experience. I haven’t flown BA business for years (really went off BA), but Emirates or Cathay are great. 

I suspect as you suggest BA have cut back, a lot of the razzmatazz was when the took over T5. But they have now essentially become Iberia.

40 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

They do usually have food, but it isn’t the proper sit down dining experience. I haven’t flown BA business for years (really went off BA), but Emirates or Cathay are great. 

I suspect as you suggest BA have cut back, a lot of the razzmatazz was when the took over T5. But they have now essentially become Iberia.

I would imagine all that is gone now, I used to do a lot of work for Ba so had a free pass to all area's. The service in the special lounges was unreal unlimited everything.

Flying Ba now is now flying on a ageing plane in a uncomfortable worn seat. Their london city services are good though.

3 hours ago, longgone said:

I would imagine all that is gone now, I used to do a lot of work for Ba so had a free pass to all area's. The service in the special lounges was unreal unlimited everything.

Flying Ba now is now flying on a ageing plane in a uncomfortable worn seat. Their london city services are good though.

Yes, they have very much lost their national carrier status in my mind.

I used them a lot long haul in naughties, and it always felt like you were home when you got on the plane. Not anymore, now feels about as good a second class only train from Surbiton to London.

I largely blame the mass travel bums on seats mentality. Seats in economy have just got more crammed together, I think they'd do better raising prices a bit and cutting out the middle seats. If the lower orders can't then afford a holiday so be it, they probably borrow the money anyway which won't do them any good long term.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein
14 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Yes, they have very much lost their national carrier status in my mind.

I used them a lot long haul in naughties, and it always felt like you were home when you got on the plane. Not anymore, now feels about as good a second class only train from Surbiton to London.

I largely blame the mass travel bums on seats mentality. Seats in economy have just got more crammed together, I think they'd do better raising prices a bit and cutting out the middle seats. If the lower orders can't then afford a holiday so be it, they probably borrow the money anyway which won't do them any good long term.

They are actually worse than that when i went to barcelona last year you could book a BA flight but end on on a vueling or iberia plane, trouble is the BA flight would have cost you 2 or 3x as much the vueling flight was £26. once on the plane you have to argue with the trolley dollies to make space for your bag.  Their national carrier flag status died years ago. 

i should have flown on concorde though before it was retired could of got a deal out on concorde to NYC and return subsonic on business for less than a grand.  ended up doing 747 on premium economy for £169. 

I pretty much only use my credit card for online purchases (often via PayPal). There's a lot of stuff I can't buy in New Zealand that I have to order in from overseas, such as good-quality Japanese tea and spare parts for my FLPHG (Foot-Launched Powered Hang Glider).