Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Recommended Posts

You should definitely use a credit card to buy stuff online because if you get scammed or have problems with the goods it is much easier to get a refund due to consumer law than if you pay by debit card.

I use PayPal wherever i can online because of this. I don't have a CC any more. I think i'm still with CapitalOne (platinum!) but not used it for a long time. I also had an egg.com card back in the day. They were a fully online provider one of the first I think. I used that for online purchases and some business expenses because it was convenient. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The AMEX "Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card" is a free credit card that gives the best cashback I could find, is accepted as a funding source by Paypal, and it's easy to set up a DD to pay the full amount each month so no chance of incurring interest.

 

Edited by Bruce Banner
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one of one of the Platinum Charge Cards,  and my wife is also on the account (big mistake). But we do get 2 free Priority Pass lounge passes and travel insurance provided you pay with the card. 

They have whacked the fee up this year, but as we both travel a lot (we'll used to) it isn't bad value on that basis given the lounges mean you don't need to buy airport food. We also can have a guest each which works for the kids when on vacation. I figure if we use it 4 times a year in that way it pays for itself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I have one of one of the Platinum Charge Cards,  and my wife is also on the account (big mistake). But we do get 2 free Priority Pass lounge passes and travel insurance provided you pay with the card. 

They have whacked the fee up this year, but as we both travel a lot (we'll used to) it isn't bad value on that basis given the lounges mean you don't need to buy airport food. We also can have a guest each which works for the kids when on vacation. I figure if we use it 4 times a year in that way it pays for itself. 

There are lounges and lounges though those complementary ones don`t tend to offer much apart from a few sofas and a private bar. 

Ba`s lounges in the 00`s had masseurs steam rooms champagne free food and drink the lot.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, longgone said:

There are lounges and lounges though those complementary ones don`t tend to offer much apart from a few sofas and a private bar. 

Ba`s lounges in the 00`s had masseurs steam rooms champagne free food and drink the lot.  

They do usually have food, but it isn’t the proper sit down dining experience. I haven’t flown BA business for years (really went off BA), but Emirates or Cathay are great. 

I suspect as you suggest BA have cut back, a lot of the razzmatazz was when the took over T5. But they have now essentially become Iberia.
 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

They do usually have food, but it isn’t the proper sit down dining experience. I haven’t flown BA business for years (really went off BA), but Emirates or Cathay are great. 

I suspect as you suggest BA have cut back, a lot of the razzmatazz was when the took over T5. But they have now essentially become Iberia.
 

 

 

 

 

I would imagine all that is gone now, I used to do a lot of work for Ba so had a free pass to all area's. The service in the special lounges was unreal unlimited everything.

Flying Ba now is now flying on a ageing plane in a uncomfortable worn seat. Their london city services are good though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, longgone said:

I would imagine all that is gone now, I used to do a lot of work for Ba so had a free pass to all area's. The service in the special lounges was unreal unlimited everything.

Flying Ba now is now flying on a ageing plane in a uncomfortable worn seat. Their london city services are good though.

Yes, they have very much lost their national carrier status in my mind.

I used them a lot long haul in naughties, and it always felt like you were home when you got on the plane. Not anymore, now feels about as good a second class only train from Surbiton to London.

I largely blame the mass travel bums on seats mentality. Seats in economy have just got more crammed together, I think they'd do better raising prices a bit and cutting out the middle seats. If the lower orders can't then afford a holiday so be it, they probably borrow the money anyway which won't do them any good long term.

 

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Yes, they have very much lost their national carrier status in my mind.

I used them a lot long haul in naughties, and it always felt like you were home when you got on the plane. Not anymore, now feels about as good a second class only train from Surbiton to London.

I largely blame the mass travel bums on seats mentality. Seats in economy have just got more crammed together, I think they'd do better raising prices a bit and cutting out the middle seats. If the lower orders can't then afford a holiday so be it, they probably borrow the money anyway which won't do them any good long term.

 

They are actually worse than that when i went to barcelona last year you could book a BA flight but end on on a vueling or iberia plane, trouble is the BA flight would have cost you 2 or 3x as much the vueling flight was £26. once on the plane you have to argue with the trolley dollies to make space for your bag.  Their national carrier flag status died years ago. 

i should have flown on concorde though before it was retired could of got a deal out on concorde to NYC and return subsonic on business for less than a grand.  ended up doing 747 on premium economy for £169. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I pretty much only use my credit card for online purchases (often via PayPal). There's a lot of stuff I can't buy in New Zealand that I have to order in from overseas, such as good-quality Japanese tea and spare parts for my FLPHG (Foot-Launched Powered Hang Glider). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 415 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.