House Price Crash Forum
crazypabs

6weeks until Brexit no deal

9 hours ago, Dorkins said:

The age 50+ population haven't really been forgotten about though, have they? They are mostly homeowners and most of those who aren't have secure tenancy on council housing. They've got their triple locked state pensions and NHS spending has been soaring as a share of government spending for decades. A high proportion of them vote which is why politicians pay so much attention to them and the newspapers they read.

If you want to see a forgotten demographic, how about the under 40s? Politicians do virtually nothing for them.

I am always amazed by this generalisation that the elderly are minted. Last year over 50% of people who died (clearly mostly elderly) did not even require probate. Ie their worldly goods did not exceed c £5k in value. They seem to have missed all the free money the elderly are getting.

Edited by debtlessmanc

1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

our return to the EU all the more swift.

Regardless of the economic outcome of Brexit, It's optimism in the extreme to believe we will return to the EU tail between our legs. The only pro-EU political group that has had any success in the last 4 years is the SNP. Labour, LibDem, and ChangeUK have all been punished for their pro-EU stance. Which party do you think will successfully capture the public and take us back in the EU?

3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Labour lost because they had Corbyn as leader, just as the LibDems did because of Swinson who was so deluded that she claimed she would win an overall majority :rolleyes:.

The result of the 2019 UK election mirrored what happened in the USA. Hillary Clinton lost because she was so deeply unpopular thet even Donald Trump managed to beat her.

Corbyn, there may have been an element of truth here but i still think Brexit was more of a deciding factor. 

IIRC LibDems were broadly supportive of Swinson. Her 'cancel Brexit' approach seemed popular inside the LibDems and she may well have kept her seat if it wasn't in Scotland. 

24 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Looks like Putin has fired up the troll farms again.

Oh please. Why don't you throw some other remainer cliches around? Maybe I didn't know what i was voting for? Maybe i was lied to? Or maybe i've changed my mind since the vote? 

1 hour ago, debtlessmanc said:

I am always amazed by this generalisation that the elderly are minted. Last year over 50% of people who died (clearly mostly elderly) did not even require probate. Ie their worldly goods did not exceed c £5k in value. They seem to have missed all the free money the elderly are getting.

image.png.3016a0a842b4fb7915cb36a42a29fa04.png 

image.thumb.png.9192e776745b8eb0804a4576ddb2ad66.png

https://www.fca.org.uk/publication/research/research-note-accumulation-of-wealth-in-britain.pdf

1 hour ago, sammersmith said:

Corbyn, there may have been an element of truth here but i still think Brexit was more of a deciding factor. 

IIRC LibDems were broadly supportive of Swinson. Her 'cancel Brexit' approach seemed popular inside the LibDems and she may well have kept her seat if it wasn't in Scotland. 

Why%20did%20people%20not%20vote%20labour.jpg

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/12/23/their-own-words-why-voters-abandoned-labour

5 minutes ago, slawek said:

What is this blind faith in polls that remainers seem to have? 

This one is particularly dubious. From their own into: 

To try and better understand what went so wrong we have spoken to nearly 500 voters since the result who voted Labour in 2017 but defected this time.

Nearly 500? Wow really rich data there. How did they identify these nearly 500 Labour voters? It doesn't say. Maybe they were asking people around Angel tube station and in the Cafe Nero on Upper Street during their lunch break. This kind of press release motivated sampling would fail an undergraduate Psychology degree, and probably wouldn't even stand up the scrutiny of a communications BA. 

2 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Statistically the elderly are much more likely to be better off than the young.

1 hour ago, sammersmith said:

Oh please. Why don't you throw some other remainer cliches around? Maybe I didn't know what i was voting for? Maybe i was lied to? Or maybe i've changed my mind since the vote? 

1, Are you sure the poster you quoted is a Remainer?

2, Why do you think he was talking about you?

Edited by Bruce Banner

4 minutes ago, sammersmith said:

What is this blind faith in polls that remainers seem to have? 

This one is particularly dubious. From their own into: 

Nearly 500? Wow really rich data there. How did they identify these nearly 500 Labour voters? It doesn't say. Maybe they were asking people around Angel tube station and in the Cafe Nero on Upper Street during their lunch break. This kind of press release motivated sampling would fail an undergraduate Psychology degree, and probably wouldn't even stand up the scrutiny of a communications BA. 

What is wrong with Leavers to deny polls (if they don't fit their narrative)?

This is a professional poll conducted by a company doing this commercially. They know what they are doing. Your ignorance about polling is not a reason to ignore them. They are facts whether you like it or not, that is a nature of facts. 

1 minute ago, slawek said:

What is wrong with Leavers to deny polls (if they don't fit their narrative)?

I also deny polls from pro-Brexit organisations. I have never, and would never, quote any poll from Leave.eu or any other pro-Brexit group. 

6 minutes ago, slawek said:

Your ignorance about polling is not a reason to ignore them. 

I'm not ignorant of polls i just have no faith in them to measure with any degree of accuracy. 

7 minutes ago, slawek said:

They are facts whether you like it or not, that is a nature of facts. 

It's a fact that a majority of 1.2 million voted to leave the EU. That is a fact. A poll is the opinion of a few people, classified into what ever group the scientist thinks is important (age, demographic, income, location). Remainers like to go on about the non-voters and under-16s like it's a travesty of justice that they didn't have a say, however they are totally fine with generalising the views of the entire country from a few 100 people polled by YouGov. 

5 minutes ago, sammersmith said:

I also deny polls from pro-Brexit organisations. I have never, and would never, quote any poll from Leave.eu or any other pro-Brexit group. 

I'm not ignorant of polls i just have no faith in them to measure with any degree of accuracy. 

It's a fact that a majority of 1.2 million voted to leave the EU. That is a fact. A poll is the opinion of a few people, classified into what ever group the scientist thinks is important (age, demographic, income, location). Remainers like to go on about the non-voters and under-16s like it's a travesty of justice that they didn't have a say, however they are totally fine with generalising the views of the entire country from a few 100 people polled by YouGov. 

Your ignorance is not a justification to reject facts revealed by polls.  100 people poll is enough to detect 65%/35% split of the public opinion. 

Just now, slawek said:

100 people poll is enough to detect 65%/35% split of the public opinion. 

Oh my. It's not really a percent though if you poll 100 people now is it? 

Maybe we should've conducted the EU referendum on Family Fortunes and got the Brexit bonus of lighthearted entertainment for free.  

38 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Statistically the elderly are much more likely to be better off than the young.

The statistic i gave you shows that this clearly a generalisation. Most old people have buggerall. So really what you mean is that a few old people minted and fewer than that young people are. 

12 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

1, Are you sure the poster you quoted is a Remainer?

The 'Putin' trolls was a bit of a give away. This is part of the standard remainer vocabulary, along with some of the other statements i mentioned in that post. 

13 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

2, Why do you think he was talking about you?

I don't

18 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

The statistic i gave you shows that this clearly a generalisation. Most old people have buggerall. So really what you mean is that a few old people minted and fewer than that young people are. 

You're not a real professor, are you.

On 18/05/2020 at 15:30, sammersmith said:

London voted remain, very true. However it was only 60/40 which, given the massive population of London compared to any other region in the UK, means there's still a lot of left behind people there.

This "left behind" nonsense again.

20 minutes ago, sammersmith said:

The 'Putin' trolls was a bit of a give away. This is part of the standard remainer vocabulary, along with some of the other statements i mentioned in that post. 

I don't

Lol..... https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/210294-brexit-what-happens-next-thread-multiple-merged-threads/&do=findComment&comment=1103503579

9 minutes ago, sammersmith said:

So the poster is, as are you it seems, a remainer convert. Converts are the most passionate are they not?

This poster's situation is remarkably similar to mine....

https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/210294-brexit-what-happens-next-thread-multiple-merged-threads/&do=findComment&comment=1103579643

39 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

You're not a real professor, are you.

I am only arguing against generalised ageism, nothing else. Clearly i am on here because i think house prices are disgrace and that our society is punishing young people. But blanket blaming of old people is a bit unfair. Many old people are poor. Having said my late fathers best mate was seriously wealthy, in his 80’s everytime he got a parking ticket for parking his merc on the pavement outside his bowls club he wrote to the Coucil offering to pay it at one pound a week out of his state pension. Everytime he did this they waived it....

14 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

So you both voted leave as a protest and now your protest is complete you'd like to run the real once-in-a-generation referendum please?