House Price Crash Forum

Sentiment turning on mumsnet

3 hours ago, dryrot said:

So the Tories had to crash house prices? They did that in the mid 90s and Tony Blair smashed the 1997 election.

Not saying you are wrong, mind, but who has the guts to inflict the pain?

I've said in a previous post the Tories handled the 90s crash abysmally and were outplayed by a well organised and energised NuLabour.  

Cameron had massive goodwill against Brown and could've easily laid a crash at his feet and the pain of recovery with Clegg.  Miliband was no opposition and the label of 'boom n bust Labour' would've stuck around him like a bad smell.

What we have now is inevitable pain, but pushed to a point where it can't be controlled or planned for - the most exposed and the most vulnerable will suffer the most.  The latter will support any party that can give them a handout, the former will support any party that can give someone else to blame other than them - perfect fodder for extreme parties.

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, PeanutButter said:

Can’t we just agree that no UK government in the past two decades has wanted to slow or stop house price growth? 

Labour was moronic for starting HPI.  I'm calling out the 'Frugal' Tories hypocrisy - happy to let the free market for Healthcare, but suddenly interventionist with Houses.

7 hours ago, msi said:

I've said in a previous post the Tories handled the 90s crash abysmally and were outplayed by a well organised and energised NuLabour.  

Cameron had massive goodwill against Brown and could've easily laid a crash at his feet and the pain of recovery with Clegg.  Miliband was no opposition and the label of 'boom n bust Labour' would've stuck around him like a bad smell.

What we have now is inevitable pain, but pushed to a point where it can't be controlled or planned for - the most exposed and the most vulnerable will suffer the most.  The latter will support any party that can give them a handout, the former will support any party that can give someone else to blame other than them - perfect fodder for extreme parties.

Don't forget that from the 90s onward there was an appetite for , consensus' politicians like Blair or Cameron, as a reaction against the single minded leadership especially of Thatcher. Those fuzzy minded call-me-Tony opportunists simply didn't have the balls to lead. And the electorate at the time wouldn't have respected them for it. I think allowing houses to correct in the 2010s would have been electoral suicide for the Tories, unfortunately, so it's equally the fault of the electorate.

1 minute ago, PeanutButter said:

Ok but this is a thread about mumsnet sentiment

The whole debate over NuLabour, the Etonians aka Tories, who is the worse between them and the whole damage to the UK effectively caused by an illiterate, selfish and X Factor watching public is much much more light hearted and simple than the minds and thinking on the satanic and evil mumsnet site. 😆😆

13 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Ok but this is a thread about mumsnet sentiment

Ah, but Mumsnet is a microcosm of the electorate! But I'll stop it anyway.

9 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Can’t we just agree that no UK government in the past two decades has wanted to slow or stop house price growth? 

+1

I think Grant Shapps and one UKIP councillor said something sensible about HPI but that is it in the last 10 years

2 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

+1

I think Grant Shapps and one UKIP councillor said something sensible about HPI but that is it in the last 10 years

Starmer said something in his response to the recent budget, which is what prompted me to email my (Labour) MP to support this, and got no reply.

Just now, Si1 said:

Starmer said something in his response to the recent budget, which is what prompted me to email my (Labour) MP to support this, and got no reply.

To be honest I think the problem is not the politicians it is the people.  Sometimes politicians do things that most of the population don't support (the poll tax, current level of immigration) but I think HPI is bizarrely not one of them.

I think most people (not me) like it.

9 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

To be honest I think the problem is not the politicians it is the people.  Sometimes politicians do things that most of the population don't support (the poll tax, current level of immigration) but I think HPI is bizarrely not one of them.

Yes, something like that. For the middle classes anyway.

On 08/04/2021 at 10:38, iamnumerate said:

I don't think most people do, but rather a sufficiently critical mass of those who vote.

On 08/04/2021 at 10:38, iamnumerate said:

Indeed but I think it is a case of the worse it has got, it has made the sentiment towards keeping house prices high, even more so.  If a first time buyer is taking out a £200K+++ mortgage and much more in the SE then they have taken a massive risk  with them still owning the debt if prices fall.  Japan is an example of what can go wrong with people who bought tiny overpriced flats 2 hours commuting from where they worked back in 1989 and 30years later are still today worth half of what they paid back then. In fact it made them prisoners for life with no ability to move out until the loan was repaid and then perhaps too old to move to anything better.  That is the one genuine reason people have this HPI ambition but the rest of it is mainstream mania whipped up by a dozen industries and media outlets. Outright owners dont need HPI and if they want to move up the ladder then it hinders them (I cant even get intelligent people to see this)

11 hours ago, steve99 said:

Outright owners dont need HPI and if they want to move up the ladder then it hinders them (I cant even get intelligent people to see this)

Now this is true and very weird.  I bought in 2001 and sold in 2006 for almost  over £60K profit and my colleagues (many of whom were foreigners capable of speaking perfect English and had accounting qualifications) at the time were congratulating me and telling me how HPI had given me money.

I pointed out to them that assuming my new house had gone up by the same percentage I had lost £32K.

They really didn't want to accept this, now personally I think learning a foreign language to a basic level should be easier than understanding such a simple calcuation - but it seemed more philosophical than mental.

HPI is great if you have more houses than children - and don't want to buy more house to rent out.

As for Mumsnet and the rest, I sense we are at the "Fear of Missing Out" Stage. Some called the top and logic would suggest all avenues for further increases are saturated. But never underestimate the government appetite for the bubble AND imbecilic folk doing all they can to be indebted for life.