House Price Crash Forum

Sentiment turning on mumsnet

God this forum is getting bloody boring and repetitive.

We get it. You are utterly obsessed with American politics. Is there ANYTHING useful you have to say about UK house prices? Or is every thread simply an opportunity to shoehorn Trump conspiracies into the discourse? 

I’d rather fry an egg on a camel than continue reading these endless nutbag pingpongs. Please for the love of pasta go back to kiwi farms. 

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, PeanutButter said:

We get it. You are utterly obsessed with American politics. Is there ANYTHING useful you have to say about UK house prices? Or is every thread simply an opportunity to shoehorn Trump conspiracies into the discourse? 

I’d rather fry an egg on a camel than continue reading these endless nutbag pingpongs. Please for the love of pasta go back to kiwi farms. 

why are you mentioning trump on here? please stick to trump threads. thank you

14 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

It only works if you allow yourself to assume a disruptive poster actually believe what they write when in fact comments are just is to disrupt. So trying to convince them of something else is wasted because they really know already or don’t care and the agenda isn’t really what you thought. Ignoring is easier said than done. For example....in fact no. Nuff oxygen wasted. 

In terms of ‘is this the end’....I felt more optimistic today. Was it the Fish and Chips delivery, friend positive hospital result after some worrying tests, a decent 6 mile run or something else😉

A few good days. Maybe that’s all it will take. That and the image of you trying to fry an egg on a camel.😉👍🏻  

• 2 weeks later...

Why won't my two really keen buyers come back with counter-offers when i knocked back their 'considerably' under asking price offers?

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/4153821-How-long-to-come-back-after-negotiating-offer

I think she knows the answer but can't quite connect the dots

Both buyers have admitted to either being furloughed or off work at the moment so it’s not as if they are busy with work??

Lots of time, yes. Good mortgage availability, perhaps less so. 

This tickled me

If they have decided not to buy because elf furlough why are they viewing and offering in the first place though - I don’t understand? 

Something to do, isn't it? A day trip out with the kids now that everything else is closed. 

Let's be honest, sentiment hasn't really turned on there or MSE. Maybe a few juicy stories, and maybe even a few people that detract from the prevailing view but you would get them even in the best housing markets.

My favourite type of threads is the 'why isn't my house selling' - usually gets everyone piling in to give it a good old slagging, but there have been very few of these. 

In a real declining market there should be plenty of these as people cannot achieve a higher price than places that sold a year ago.

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Now you don't need to worry... You can borrow 95% of £600,000 to hand to someone for the pile of bricks they paid 50k for 

1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

It's pretty impossible to if you're not in the right situation. If you're lucky, or diligent, there might be an investment out there that could help you. Your savings go up by 1, house prices by 10, and you can only really try and get into that investment that gives you 100, 1,000, or even 10,000 (or even more). That's the only real way to 'win'.

On 02/02/2021 at 11:38, sammersmith said:

Why won't my two really keen buyers come back with counter-offers when i knocked back their 'considerably' under asking price offers?

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/property/4153821-How-long-to-come-back-after-negotiating-offer

I think she knows the answer but can't quite connect the dots

Both buyers have admitted to either being furloughed or off work at the moment so it’s not as if they are busy with work??

Lots of time, yes. Good mortgage availability, perhaps less so. 

This tickled me

If they have decided not to buy because elf furlough why are they viewing and offering in the first place though - I don’t understand? 

Something to do, isn't it? A day trip out with the kids now that everything else is closed. 

Is she the world's stupidest person?

Could it be the price?

1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

Interesting to see the mums getting HPI woke

Inevitable when you think of the demographics. It's roughly anyone under 40 who has been screwed in housing terms, and the age of first birth in the UK is now around 30. So as time passes, the majority of new parents who are in Generation Rent increases. And while not everyone in the cohort recognises the situation for what it is, the more people who suffer, the more you'd expect to notice. 

3 hours ago, Bugger BTL said:

Inevitable when you think of the demographics. It's roughly anyone under 40 who has been screwed in housing terms, and the age of first birth in the UK is now around 30. So as time passes, the majority of new parents who are in Generation Rent increases. And while not everyone in the cohort recognises the situation for what it is, the more people who suffer, the more you'd expect to notice. 

Yes, that could explain it. And as their parents live well into 80s/90s, less access to inheritance. 

On 20/07/2020 at 15:49, desiringonlychild said:

@Si1 Rent for my 2 bed flat in the same development is £1500, Mortgage is £1020. Service charges are £145 per month. I moved into it as it was, and the only thing i have done to date is fix the boiler for £70. Also need to repair a socket once this lockdown is over. 

I wouldn't say that its a great investment or yield. But for now, it is cheaper. That could change if interest rates rise, which was why i went for 5 year fixed term. But I think I would break even. My flat is modest but I wouldn't have rented anything (for the long term anyway) any smaller. And I would have to pay council tax either way. 

I think home ownership can cost a lot as you tend to buy bigger than you rent. As it is easy to be influenced by interiors magazine that convince you that you need his and her studies, guest room, , playroom.. and you can add 'value' by installing hideous conservatories and doing dodgy loft conversions. That would cost a lot of money, as would the heating and bills for a larger space.I didn't do that though. 

By the way what are your services charges now? And how are your apartment values holding up?

Edited by Si1
On 03/03/2021 at 22:52, satsuma said:

It’s the same story all over, people running to standstill or even going backwards 

People don't get it....once you saved via real work a deposit to put down, now you borrow the deposit and they pay you to take on the debt.;)

1 hour ago, winkie said:

People don't get it....once you saved via real work a deposit to put down, now you borrow the deposit and they pay you to take on the debt.;)

Crazy, crazy, voodoo freakonomics  

@Si1 Value is largely unchanged at £425k, service charges are the same, Unaffected by EWS1 as its a low rise period mansion block. I know as there were recent sales. I do hope prices would dip a little in my area so it would be easier to upgrade. I am now overpaying mortgage fairly aggressively as our savings of £25k only gives me £60 in interest. Which is ridiculous.

Before i bought, our savings of £70k or so would have languished in a similar state. at least now we have our own place to live during the covid pandemic (I have my own home office) and don't have to deal with landlords (my Sister in law got covid because her landlord decided to send some workmen who had the virus to repair stuff), I can decide who comes into my home. 

I think thats the real reason people buy homes, not to make money but because the alternatives of renting or living with family are not ideal in the long term. Which is why  house prices went up in the biggest recession of living memory cos home isn't just a place you sleep, its a place where you work and live; and you definitely don't want your landlord sending out workmen on the same day you have a zoom call with a big client. 

15 minutes ago, desiringonlychild said:

Before i bought, our savings of £70k or so would have languished in a similar state.

Not my fault you don't know how to invest.

at least now we have our own place to live during the covid pandemic (I have my own home office) and don't have to deal with landlords (my Sister in law got covid because her landlord decided to send some workmen who had the virus to repair stuff)

So does stuff not need repairing in owner occupied houses? Magic! 

, I can decide who comes into my home. 

I think thats the real reason people buy homes, not to make money but because the alternatives of renting or living with family are not ideal in the long term. Which is why  house prices went up in the biggest recession of living memory cos home isn't just a place you sleep, its a place where you work and live;

No it's because people had spare cash from govt stimulus.

and you definitely don't want your landlord sending out workmen on the same day you have a zoom call with a big client. 

Yeah you can refuse if it's non essential. Unless it's an emergency in which case it makes no odds whether it's rented or OO. Must be a tiny flat you're talking about too.

Edited by Si1
18 minutes ago, desiringonlychild said:

@Si1 Value is largely unchanged at £425k, service charges are the same, Unaffected by EWS1 as its a low rise period mansion block. I know as there were recent sales. I do hope prices would dip a little in my area so it would be easier to upgrade. I 

"Yeah right"