House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Potter

What Price A Crash?

I am becoming increasingly anxious as to the price we shall all have to pay when the payback comes.

Cheaper house prices were trigged in the early nineties by a catastrophic recession. Whilst I didnt have property then, I was seriously affected by the down turn in construction industry activity (I was a trainee Engineer at the time). The industry literally shed over 400, 000 jobs in 4-5 years. This also affected other associated industries as well.

What I am saying is, I can see the signs all over again. If the crash is as big as some on here predict it will be painful. This time I have a stash of cash and a smallish mortgage but if the impact is too severe I see no alternative to leaving the country.

How do other people see it playing out?

We need to be careful what we wish for.

I agree.

The London housing market was quite weak in 2003 (along with the stockmarket) and flats in City-dependent areas were definitely cheaper then than they are now.

It would have been a great time to buy or trade up ..... but if you hadn't been made redundant you feared you would be, so stayed put. That's why the market was weak.

I am becoming increasingly anxious as to the price we shall all have to pay when the payback comes.

Cheaper house prices were trigged in the early nineties by a catastrophic recession. Whilst I didnt have property then, I was seriously affected by the down turn in construction industry activity (I was a trainee Engineer at the time). The industry literally shed over 400, 000 jobs in 4-5 years. This also affected other associated industries as well.

What I am saying is, I can see the signs all over again. If the crash is as big as some on here predict it will be painful. This time I have a stash of cash and a smallish mortgage but if the impact is too severe I see no alternative to leaving the country.

How do other people see it playing out?

We need to be careful what we wish for.

What are your views on the state of the industry at the moment, BP?

I'm also a young guy in the industry (Q.S for a main contractor) and there is so much work out there at the moment for us.

Do you think we'll see a downturn in the industry this side of 2012?

I went to see a mortgage advisor yesterday and was told i could easily get 115k easily. I told him I was waiting for prices to fall and he was adament prices won't go down.

Personally, I think I will wait another year or so and see what happens, ideally I'd like to do a self-build.

What are your views on the state of the industry at the moment, BP?

I'm also a young guy in the industry (Q.S for a main contractor) and there is so much work out there at the moment for us.

Do you think we'll see a downturn in the industry this side of 2012?

I went to see a mortgage advisor yesterday and was told i could easily get 115k easily. I told him I was waiting for prices to fall and he was adament prices won't go down.

Personally, I think I will wait another year or so and see what happens, ideally I'd like to do a self-build.

Definately do a self build, you can build a decent 4 bed detached house for about £50K, don't tell the bulls though else your industry may begin to see a downturn ;)