House Price Crash Forum

So, is getting a train out of London to look at a House / Flat Acceptable to do now ?

I know you are only supposed to be traveling on public transport for essential reasons, but for somebody like me who is living in a rented MHO flatshare (and it's been awful under lockdown) that was looking for a while at getting a decent place to live... Wouldn't that be essenitial travel ?

Finding a decent home to live in is pretty essential I would say, but i feel that the authorities would not agree... Maybe if you have proof that you are going to some viewings (emails from estate agents, etc), maybe that might help.

All I know is I really don't recommend living in  small bedroom with 6 people sharing a shower (as the other one broke) and a kitchen and that's it, been very tough couple of months.

Buying  and renting houses is actually 100% essential - if the Cabinet are to maintain the value of their housing portfolios. Particularly £5m several homes Jenrick who is housing minister.

So yes - feel free - but wear a mask and gloves. If for nothing else that you need to move to better accommodation in a cheaper area for your mental health and sanity given your current housing circumstances. I expect there are some rental bargains to be had.

Edited by MARTINX9
11 hours ago, LesDawson said:

I know you are only supposed to be traveling on public transport for essential reasons, but for somebody like me who is living in a rented MHO flatshare (and it's been awful under lockdown) that was looking for a while at getting a decent place to live... Wouldn't that be essenitial travel ?

Finding a decent home to live in is pretty essential I would say, but i feel that the authorities would not agree... Maybe if you have proof that you are going to some viewings (emails from estate agents, etc), maybe that might help.

All I know is I really don't recommend living in  small bedroom with 6 people sharing a shower (as the other one broke) and a kitchen and that's it, been very tough couple of months.

And being a fat northern bloke, hmmmm I can see why.

17 hours ago, LesDawson said:

...only supposed to be traveling on public transport for essential reasons...

I have always tried my level best to avoid public transport... it is horrible... but, despite that, I found myself wondering if journeys I might make are 'essential travel'.  It's a big philosophical question - isn't it?  Do any of us, really, possess free will - or are we compelled by our environment into every supposed choice we make?

After summoning the ghost of Descartes, I concluded that all of my journeys (during my entire life) had been essential for two independent reasons.  1: they were essential because I had chosen to make them. 2: they were essential because if I had not made them, then we'd be in a different reality where I'd not have influenced the same locations in the past - and no-one can predict the consequences of that.  If I had not considered the journeys essential before making them, I would have done something different - such as staying in bed or opening a bottle of wine.  Sure, it might be arrogant to imbue my (assumed) sentience and free-will as having divine authority... but... as I'm ready to debate this matter with anyone who has an opinion of their own... I suppose... I have as much of a case for my view as anyone else does for theirs.  Always remember the up-side, after having made any journey: it is tautological that it was essential... so.. there is no risk of any credible ex-post challeneges from any figures of authority.

Of course, if you're wondering if you want to go for a journey on public transport, to view alternate rented accommodaition - during these "unusual" circumstances... then that's a much harder problem for you to solve. If you haven't decided to go - then, perhaps, it isn't essential - so maybe you shouldn't?  Think of the risks: it might be a waste of your time; the lettings agent and/or landlord might be obnoxious, unhinged - or both; you might get an unreaslistically tranquil impression of your potential new palace; you might die in an unforseen meteor impact. Have you asked if the Landlord will create you a perfect 1:1 scale model of the residence somewhere more convenient for you to assess its suitability? Have you considered all the travel alternatives? For example: could you make the journey by unicorn, unicycle or pogo-stick? 

On 14/05/2020 at 11:31, MARTINX9 said:

Buying  and renting houses is actually 100% essential - if the Cabinet are to maintain the value of their housing portfolios. Particularly £5m several homes Jenrick who is housing minister.

So yes - feel free - but wear a mask and gloves. If for nothing else that you need to move to better accommodation in a cheaper area for your mental health and sanity given your current housing circumstances. I expect there are some rental bargains to be had.

on the contrary, just turn up to the viewing, sniff a bit and say "this is really important to me, but sorry,I've got a bit of a cold coming on"

On 14/05/2020 at 00:29, LesDawson said:

If you  need to move house, and that requires going by train to view properties, and you decide it's essential, and you're happy with the level of risk, then do it. 

I certainly would.