House Price Crash Forum

Buying a site and building (for dummies)

I have built a couple of houses over the years and am possibly just about to start again, my advice would be to get a reputable architect and get them to project manage, you will without a doubt spend more but the house will be finished properly, you will have a lot less stress, they have all the contacts in place, you will enjoy your new home, if done right it will also be worth more than if you done it all yourself 

3 hours ago, stingray192 said:

I have built a couple of houses over the years and am possibly just about to start again, my advice would be to get a reputable architect and get them to project manage, you will without a doubt spend more but the house will be finished properly, you will have a lot less stress, they have all the contacts in place, you will enjoy your new home, if done right it will also be worth more than if you done it all yourself 

I’d recommend appointing a QS to manage it and value engineer it rather than an architect. Architects have a penchant to over engineer things and usually aren’t driven by cost efficiency, so a good QS will keep them in line. I suspect, if left to their own devices, the architects also have a tendency to appoint their preferred contractors and design team who aren’t the best value for money for the owner! 

1 hour ago, nigooner said:

I’d recommend appointing a QS to manage it and value engineer it rather than an architect. Architects have a penchant to over engineer things and usually aren’t driven by cost efficiency, so a good QS will keep them in line. I suspect, if left to their own devices, the architects also have a tendency to appoint their preferred contractors and design team who aren’t the best value for money for the owner! 

Also a great suggestion, the architect works for me, it’s been a great success, the one thing I wouldn’t do is project manage yourself

We built a house and watched a family member build another one about the same time.  I had plans already but paid an architect to supervise, he was a waster and did nothing, complete waste of money.  The deal was he was supposed to visit the site regularly and check on the builder, he called out a few times, after being asked to by me, but never at key times and he never checked anything.  However, the other house was designed by an architect and it does have nice design features but they paid a small fortune for the plans.  Again the architect was no use in terms of supervising and the house is actually not well built.  In my case the builder was asked for a written quote and he more or less followed it in terms of cost.  However he did pull a few moves and cut a few corners, I got to most of these in time but not because of the architect but because I checked the site most days.  If I was doing it again I wouldn’t bother paying an architect, a good set of plans is fine but I would get the garden design done as well as the house.  Apart from that a QS is essential but the builder should have used one for the quote but it could be worth having your own QS to check that what’s going is not cheap crap.  If I was doing it again I’d probably only use a main contractor to get it to the point where the roof is on and after that bring in the trades.  

On 10/05/2020 at 10:27, getdoon_weebobby said:

No I am rubbish at diy. I mean we build our own house (but someone else really does it! Lol) just interested in any advice , resources (websites / books / magazines ) etc 

something in a slightly more rural location and I’d like do implement a lot of eco measures 

Subscribe to Readly. You can view loads of magazines. There are plenty on self build.