House Price Crash Forum

Buying a site and building (for dummies)

We bought in NI in 2012. Looking at building a family house on a site in the not too distant future. As a “dummy” does anyone have any good links to where best to educate on the process of buying a site / building your own house etc ? 

Good luck, we bought a site and built, house finished about 4 year now.  Are you going to do self build or bring in a builder?  Self build could be cheaper but a good builder will do a better job in my opinion.  Also the builder is responsible for mistakes, some steel work was delivered and it was not right, not our problem and builder had it sorted.  Building will be cheaper now as demand will be down so good time to do it.  

Posted (edited)

No I am rubbish at diy. I mean we build our own house (but someone else really does it! Lol) just interested in any advice , resources (websites / books / magazines ) etc 

something in a slightly more rural location and I’d like do implement a lot of eco measures 

Edited by getdoon_weebobby

There is not really any one place, you could start with looking at the NI requirements for planning approval as you will need to know when the site was passed and if the planning is still active and if it’s outline or final reserve matters.  You need to decide if u want to design a house in which case outline planning would be better.  A site with reserve matters planning and foundations in place has several advantages but limits your ability to change things.  

1 hour ago, getdoon_weebobby said:

We bought in NI in 2012. Looking at building a family house on a site in the not too distant future. As a “dummy” does anyone have any good links to where best to educate on the process of buying a site / building your own house etc ? 

Contact a decent architect for some free advice. 2020 architects are good for eco builds. Members of my family used them for a holiday home build.

I'm considering doing something like this myself, albeit in the same area I'm in. 

Timing could be key here. I had to do extensive renovations and an extension to the place I'm in. Trade labour was probably less than half it is now. The current crisis could see the same happen again. 

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

Seen a few sites online and made a few enquiries, will be a while before I view them , one site (actually my favourite) has put the asking price up 20k just because i enquired. lol

this will be a long game , renting in 06/07 it felt like eternity holding off till 2012 but worth it ! 

On 14/05/2020 at 22:54, getdoon_weebobby said:

Seen a few sites online and made a few enquiries, will be a while before I view them , one site (actually my favourite) has put the asking price up 20k just because i enquired. lol

this will be a long game , renting in 06/07 it felt like eternity holding off till 2012 but worth it ! 

One agent told me that enqueries about houses and plots in the country side has 'gone through the roof'. Not sure if that means he got 10 calls or 100.

Not what I want to hear, in my VI world, but interesting.

If that materilises it starts to show how people are re-viewing what they want in a home.

38 minutes ago, BelfastVI said:

... people are re-viewing what they want in a home.

I was beginning to think you were stuck in a foreign country. Have you just been repatriated? Welcome back. :)

On 10/05/2020 at 10:18, satsuma said:

Self build could be cheaper but a good builder will do a better job in my opinion.  Also the builder is responsible for mistakes, some steel work was delivered and it was not right, not our problem and builder had it sorted.  Building will be cheaper now as demand will be down so good time to do it.  

Grand Designs has had some interesting eco builds if you are looking for inspiration, but few of them seem to stay within budget or time. 

Usual expensive mistakes seems changing plans midway, running out of money and poor project managment of a new build, often using new building methods and materials but with no building experience it rarely ends well. 

On 18/05/2020 at 12:45, Belfast Boy said:

I was beginning to think you were stuck in a foreign country. Have you just been repatriated? Welcome back. :)

I have been posting here regurally over the past 5 or 6 years. welcome back to everyone else. good to hear from you all again.

• 4 weeks later...

All good thanks. 2 kids and a wife since last on lol.

Fond memories of this place from back in the day. It kept me sane when all the media was talking up the housing market! I’m a bit out of touch with the housing market these days to be honest.  

From what I have heard from others buying sites and then building and my own investigations into buying sites, it's much cheaper to just buy a completed house. Much less stress and hassle and you know what you're getting. The rule of thumb near Belfast is that a sites sells for pretty much the same price as the same size site with a modern house on it in good condition. So a site in a good location that you would expect to see a house worth £500k on, would cost £500k for the site alone, then you've got your build costs of £250k which ends up at £350k and you've nearly paid double! Just sit and wait in two years you'll pick up a house at about 50% current prices. Many of the houses that are hit the most in a crisis are those follies that people dream about but can't afford to realise fully. I remember looking at a house that someone had built on land they had bought near Downpatrick it was going for about £220k and had cost more than double that, it was way over the top and included a moat!

1 hour ago, astrid said:

The rule of thumb near Belfast is that a sites sells for pretty much the same price as the same size site with a modern house on it in good condition. So a site in a good location that you would expect to see a house worth £500k on, would cost £500k for the site alone, then you've got your build costs of £250k which ends up at £350k and you've nearly paid double!

I can’t say I agree with this rule of thumb, do you have any examples?

11 hours ago, nigooner said:

Definitely not a rule of thumb but there have been examples of this posted on the site before. There were a few examples on the stranmillis road. Not exactly knock down and rebuild but certainly take back to brick. 

On 18/06/2020 at 21:25, Ricky_FTB said:

All good thanks. 2 kids and a wife since last on lol.

Fond memories of this place from back in the day. It kept me sane when all the media was talking up the housing market! I’m a bit out of touch with the housing market these days to be honest.  

Did you manage to buy a house (even outside UK) for yourself in all these years away from this site ?

14 hours ago, nigooner said:

Two that come to mind where sold with full planning permission for replacement dwellings. 

49 Dunmurry Lane - asking price £325K+ - was bought and original house renovated. Current market value £325-£350k.

162 Ballyskeagh Road, Dunmurry - asking price £350k +,  now on the market for £695k but yet to be constructed. This worth no more than £425k in current market and £325k in 2 years. I can only assume the laughable asking price is due to the cost of purchasing the original site plus projected build costs.

On 26/06/2020 at 12:55, astrid said:

Two that come to mind where sold with full planning permission for replacement dwellings. 

49 Dunmurry Lane - asking price £325K+ - was bought and original house renovated. Current market value £325-£350k.

162 Ballyskeagh Road, Dunmurry - asking price £350k +,  now on the market for £695k but yet to be constructed. This worth no more than £425k in current market and £325k in 2 years. I can only assume the laughable asking price is due to the cost of purchasing the original site plus projected build costs.

Another example

Chlorine Gardens 375k

https://www.propertypal.com/6-chlorine-gardens-belfast/638450

Essentially you are buying a site with some foundations and a few walls. This will be back to brick. No pictures of inside says it all. 

21 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

Another example

Chlorine Gardens 375k

https://www.propertypal.com/6-chlorine-gardens-belfast/638450

Essentially you are buying a site with some foundations and a few walls. This will be back to brick. No pictures of inside says it all. 

How do all these doer uppers make any profit I wonder. Are the developers buying them off market directly from the estate agents?

Take this one for example. That will have been back to brick. Where is the profit?

https://www.propertypal.com/36-brookland-street-off-lisburn-road-belfast/636917

21 minutes ago, OrmeauRoadBuyer said:

How do all these doer uppers make any profit I wonder. Are the developers buying them off market directly from the estate agents?

Take this one for example. That will have been back to brick. Where is the profit?

https://www.propertypal.com/36-brookland-street-off-lisburn-road-belfast/636917

I have no idea but can guess. Could be a builder who's refurbished or an old landlord. No record of it being sold before so could be a longtime ago. 

Builder using it to send employees to when they're quiet. Remember a builder will be employing at well reduced costs compared to you hiring a tradesman. Still looking at that one, not a huge amount to be made when you look at the sold prices of the ones nextdoor. 

Here's another example 430k

https://www.propertypal.com/316-stranmillis-road-belfast/618101

That's an insane price for a semi. Even one filled with grey paint and well done up. 

I passed the place in the car every day. The builder spent about a year or more doing it up. Bought the ruins of a place for about 190k. Their car was parked on the main road every day. It hasn't sold and he/she has moved in about 6 months ago. 

Here's another

https://www.propertynews.com/property-for-sale/1a-richmond-park-belfast-bt9-5ef/property/MUE820255/

Was on the market for about 7 years or more. Started at 750k or thereabouts. A prime example of an over developed site and size over style. I'm not sure what it went for but probably well under 550k. 

It's getting redeveloped now. Basically back to brick. I can't for the life of me work out why you wouldn't go around the corner and buy in Broomhill, Bladon or Deramore and get a decent site off the main road. Only thing I can think of is the primary catchment maybe. 

There is no profit on a project house unless you get it at huge markdown. If you budget for upgrades, be very generous as builders always run into issues, plus you need to be compensated for the hassle of undertaking the project. So back of a fag packet calculation, house that would have a £500k market price if it were in good renovated order but it needs an estimated £80-90k of renovation, should only be considered if the cost is around £350k. Unfortunately there are numb nuts out there that will pay £450k for such a project thus losing £100k in the process and ruining their lives during the huge hassle of the renovation project. EAs are glad (as they have no souls) to allow a buyer to pay as much as they like for a property as they only represent the seller.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a site I quite like which is an infill site. Comes with a few acres of Agri land. In the small chance this ever came to something I’d prob sit on it for a good while. Has OPP for a detached two storey residence. EA gave me phone number for the architect who did the PP for any Qs As I said when I started this thread I am a dummy to new build. What questions should I be asking !?