House Price Crash Forum

UK 'to bring in 14-day quarantine' for air passengers

HOLA441
5 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Does he mean citizens or residents - London actually has more French citizens in residence apparently that any city or town in France bar Paris, Lyon, Toulouse and Marseille. Will they ask at St Pancras and Gare du Nord for proof of address - as well as a passport?

Dual nationals could presumably use an EU/EEA passport to enter France and a UK one to return home?

And of course I very much doubt this virus much cares which passport you have!

Ireland introduced its 14 day mandatory quarantine for all arrivals - within a day. Why does it take 3 weeks to do it here? But the Irish scheme is proving problematic - as apparently one third of arrivals in the first week at Dublin airport did not provide self isolation addresses on arrival so can't be tracked! Many of them will have come from hotspots like London and New York.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-dublin-arrivals-forms-5093504-May2020/

My point was that Macron said "jump" and BJ said "how high".

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
1 hour ago, GregBowman said:

No we won't.

In many of these categories the self sufficiency is lower because we export

It is also based on our increased over consumption and the obscene amount of food 30%+ of the population eats

image.png.cbef7ff93d6b9cde1747f4b5bc9d3898.png

Remember to store limes for those long sea voyages me old scurvy. How is a diet that would seem to consist of cereals and potatoes with a scattering of beef and pork self sufficient? Where is the fruit and veg? 

HOLA443
10 hours ago, Pebbles said:

Thanks I thought Mikhail was talking rubbish driven largely by an anti Brexit anti British position.

It would mean that cherries for example are hard to come by in the winter as Southern Hemisphere fruit from Chile, likewise year round green beans  from Kenya 

Bananas, oranges, lemons etc but I am sure no one is arguing that we won’t have to modify our eating habits if it came to it

Not sure it will many of these crops sustain poorer regions of poorer countries import/export will continue 

Some of the lack of self sufficiency is demand driven as well - witness last few weeks bread shelves empty but every shop from the small independent through the small coop to the big supermarkets plenty of fruit and veg because of people’s poor diet choices 

Meat eating also in decline

Finally some of these supply chains are long but robust , if a fruit picked 6 weeks ago arrives within a week or so of target makes no difference 

We also dispose at source or pulp for juice a lot of fruit , because the nitrogen stores can only hold so much - you are eating the best apples picked in August in Feb of the next year 

So no we won’t starve  

HOLA444
22 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

14 day quarantine never applies to lorry drivers transporting goods, in any country. This is for holidaymaker/business travelers.

Exactly it appears not many people on here have had any experience of the food industry 

HOLA445
47 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

Exactly it appears not many people on here have had any experience of the food industry 

The point being made was exactley that the quantine period will not apply to lorry drivers. Ie it is a hole in the quarantine 'shield'.

Why do you think the government has designed this loophole, if as you say, we would not go hungry? In that light, it seems even more inconsistent. In which case I suspect that it is a fudge, more about perception and looking like they are doing something rather than actually being serious about stopping infection from outside our borders.

HOLA446
13 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

The point being made was exactley that the quantine period will not apply to lorry drivers. Ie it is a hole in the quarantine 'shield'.

Why do you think the government has designed this loophole, if as you say, we would not go hungry? In that light, it seems even more inconsistent. In which case I suspect that it is a fudge, more about perception and looking like they are doing something rather than actually being serious about stopping infection from outside our borders.

Stop the hysteria!!!! we won't go hungry but stuff will not be on the shelves that you expect to see your Green beans from Kenya in Waitrose leading to a the negative feedback loop you and others buy into 

I think you are missing the point we are opening up not shutting down. This is a necessary risk whilst if it needs to be the food chain is re- engineered. 

Have you been to South Mimms and seen all those foreign lorry drivers partying it up ? No me neither in fact I would say that long distance HGV driving is one of the most mobile self isolating jobs you can get - those guys like their own company and they don't want to get sick either they aren't tourists looking to whoop it up in the West End

HOLA447
3 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

Stop the hysteria!!!! we won't go hungry but stuff will not be on the shelves that you expect to see your Green beans from Kenya in Waitrose leading to a the negative feedback loop you and others buy into 

I think you are missing the point we are opening up not shutting down. This is a necessary risk whilst if it needs to be the food chain is re- engineered. 

Have you been to South Mimms and seen all those foreign lorry drivers partying it up ? No me neither in fact I would say that long distance HGV driving is one of the most mobile self isolating jobs you can get - those guys like their own company and they don't want to get sick either they aren't tourists looking to whoop it up in the West End

I am just trying to get a handle on why the discrepency wrt lorry drivers, tiz all. Enforcing a new quantine on all others sounds more like shutting down, not opening up...sir.

Take your point re lorry drivers having an isolated job tho. Usually straight in and straight out... usually.

HOLA448
HOLA449
1 hour ago, GregBowman said:

+1

Also, airline pilots may be required to overnight at the airport hotel in effective quarantine. Exceptions are controlled, those taking part are doing a job and will respect it.

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, IMHAL said:

I am just trying to get a handle on why the discrepency wrt lorry drivers, tiz all. Enforcing a new quantine on all others sounds more like shutting down, not opening up...sir.

Take your point re lorry drivers having an isolated job tho. Usually straight in and straight out... usually.

Point taken - apologies if a bit blunt - I think it is supply line continuity 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
47 minutes ago, AAA said:

1. National Security.

2. Protection of public health.

3. Reduction of risk of economic collapse from another pandemic.

1. You think making an enemy of what will soon be, maybe already is, the most powerful country in the world is good for national security?

2. By the same flawed logic we should shut ourselves off from the rest of the world. Researchers are currently aware of and tracking over 500 possible pandemic viruses most are outside of China. The US was actively working with the Chinese at the Wuhan lab on identifying bat related ones. Data from this work helped with the development of remdesivir, so far the only drug shown to be effective against the virus. Of course Trump has now cancelled this work as part of his blame China policy.   

3. Pandemics don't care about borders. If we cannot control the spread we will be the ones facing quarantine when we want to travel abroad not the Chinese.

HOLA4414
3 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Apparently the mandatory quarantine starts on 15th and is due to end on 24th May? So if you defer your trip by 9 days - you might actually be able to spend 5 more days out and enjoying Spain?

You are at least allowed out in Spain to buy food etc if you wear a mask. Some countries don't even allow that.

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4415
5 hours ago, GregBowman said:

Greg there are very many that will not or very reluctant to buy food from thousands of miles away, they will prefer to buy British and that does not mean imported and packed in Britain but sourced in Britain or made and grown in Britain....not rubbish processed and bad animal welfare food shipped or flown from miles away....everything we need we could provide for ourselves, the next best place is across the channel where food generally is better than what we at the moment can provide, better than what we have at the moment.....always room for improvement, that is if we want to improve.;)   

HOLA4416
9 minutes ago, winkie said:

Greg there are very many that will not or very reluctant to buy food from thousands of miles away, they will prefer to buy British and that does not mean imported and packed in Britain but sourced in Britain or made and grown in Britain....not rubbish processed and bad animal welfare food shipped or flown from miles away....everything we need we could provide for ourselves, the next best place is across the channel where food generally is better than what we at the moment can provide, better than what we have at the moment.....always room for improvement, that is if we want to improve.;)   

Well said