House Price Crash Forum

UK 'to bring in 14-day quarantine' for air passengers

UK airlines say they have been told the government will bring in a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK from any country apart from the Republic of Ireland in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The new restriction is expected to take effect at the end of this month.

Industry body Airlines UK said the policy needed "a credible exit plan" and should be reviewed weekly.

People arriving in the UK would have to self-isolate at a private residence.

Government and aviation sources told BBC News that the quarantine would mean people might be expected to provide an address when they arrive at the border.

It is not clear how long the new travel restriction would be in place and whether non-UK residents would be allowed to stay in rented private accommodation.

"We need to see the details of what they are proposing", said Airlines UK, which represents British Airways, EasyJet and other UK-based airlines, in a statement.

It is not clear whether there are plans to quarantine people arriving to the UK via other modes of transport. Eurostar and P&O ferries declined to comment, while other firms have not yet responded to the BBC's queries.

Aviation minister Kelly Tolhurst is expected to clarify the policy to airline and airport representatives in a conference call scheduled for Sunday morning.

A spokeswoman for Belfast International Airport said it had written to the government to clarify what the plans were - adding that the airport had not been consulted on the move.

Shadow foreign secretary Lisa Nandy said Labour had been asking the government for weeks to clarify "mixed messages" about what people should do on arrival to the UK.

"People have been brought back in relatively large numbers and many of them are telling us that they have no information or advice given out about what they should be doing when they get home," she said.

UK airports suggested that a quarantine "would not only have a devastating impact on the UK aviation industry, but also on the wider economy".

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-52594023

This could seriously damage the economy... No tourism basically.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Warlord said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-52594023

This could seriously damage the economy... No tourism basically.

You are correct, however, I wonder if its just being put in place to get the planes flying again? 

Let's be honest. How would they police it? What are the fines for not doing it? I think people will just take the flights and say ****** to it.. If they really need to fly. 

I know tourists haven't been put off yet from travelling, my firm is receiving bookings for the rest of the year 200% up year on year. 

But if the UK government wanted to be really stupid, they could end UK tourism pretty easily 

I’m hoping it’s just one of several temporary measures and will be removed once the daily cases are not showing a spike.  It’s a bit of a disaster for lots of industries but at least it’s a step forward.  

7 minutes ago, Horridbloke said:

Will this measure really help? The virus is already well established here. I can't help wondering if they're playing to the daily mail brigade here.

I don’t think it’s that sort of scenario, they have to open up and I suppose this is what they came up with 

What happened to the idea of keeping the middle seat free? I think most airlines were against it and would rather not bother because it doesn't make financial sense for them.

1 minute ago, Warlord said:

What happened to the idea of keeping the middle seat free? I think most airlines were against it and would rather not bother because it doesn't make financial sense for them.

You are actually closer to the person sitting in front of you and most people breathe forwards so there is only a marginal benefit anyway. The air vents and systems also circulate air.

And of course the huddles when seats are being taken and even more so when the plane lands and people stand up and wait to exit makes social distancing on a plane pointless.

If you want to avoid all risk stay home for good but it’s hard to avoid it while on a busy plane.

56 minutes ago, Grayphil said:

You are correct, however, I wonder if its just being put in place to get the planes flying again? 

Let's be honest. How would they police it? What are the fines for not doing it? I think people will just take the flights and say ****** to it.. If they really need to fly. 

I know tourists haven't been put off yet from travelling, my firm is receiving bookings for the rest of the year 200% up year on year. 

But if the UK government wanted to be really stupid, they could end UK tourism pretty easily 

We aren't good at that stuff. In the land of the free ironically they are much better. He drove from New York with his wife two weeks ago to Florida was stopped at the border and asked to sign a declaration he would quarantine for 14 days. Told in no uncertain terms that if his plate picked up on camera the local cops would be round - don't doubt it

Edited by GregBowman
41 minutes ago, Horridbloke said:

Will this measure really help? The virus is already well established here. I can't help wondering if they're playing to the daily mail brigade here.

I like the OZ/NZ idea allow free travel between countries that have similar levels of infection as you say - community transmission is what we need to stop - its already here 

8 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

I like the OZ/NZ idea allow free travel between countries that have similar levels of infection as you say - community transmission is what we need to stop - its already here 

Sounded like UK and Ireland would be free for travel, which makes sense as the border in Ireland means anything else is a mess.  

3 minutes ago, satsuma said:

Sounded like UK and Ireland would be free for travel, which makes sense as the border in Ireland means anything else is a mess.  

Its a start. Internationally and I haven't seen it mentioned yet this is ok for oldies aka the hated boomers - I can tack a couple of weeks onto a stay to see my Son and family - much harder for employed people, younger generations or people who don't run their own business.  

Right, my view is based on my own situation, self employed and able to sit it out.  I can’t see contracts outside the UK and Ireland working until this lifts unless they are in a hypothetical green zone.  As I say I’m hoping this is just temporary.  

22 minutes ago, satsuma said:

Except Ireland currently requires anyone coming from England, Scotland and Wales (anywhere bar NI) to self quarantine in one place for two weeks. That means staying indoors completely and avoiding contact with other people - you can't even go out to buy food so must have it delivered. Unless you have a holiday home and family who will allow you to live in a self contained annex that is hardly practical.

So we probably ought to try and agree a common approach with the Irish government? Because I think Ireland - a relatively sparsely populated place - might be a bit nervous about allowing in millions of Brits from big cities coming for their 'abroad' holiday this summer. They can't of course stop Irish citizens coming in - but I can see they would be wary generally given the UK has fifteen times their population.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/returning_to_Ireland_and_covid.html

Edited by MARTINX9
2 minutes ago, MARTINX9 said:

Except Ireland currently requires anyone coming from England, Scotland and Wales (anywhere bar NI) to self quarantine in one place for two weeks. That means staying indoors completely and avoiding contact with other people - you can't even go out to buy food so must have it delivered.

So we probably ought to try and agree a common approach with the Irish government? Because I think Ireland - a relatively sparsely populated place - might be a bit nervous about allowing in millions of Brits from big cities coming for their 'abroad' holiday this summer. They can't of course stop Irish citizens coming in - but I can see they would be wary generally given the UK has fifteen times their population.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/returning_to_ireland/returning_to_Ireland_and_covid.html

The Irish were pretty unhappy with Boris and the UK approach but they will probably lift the restrictions when the numbers come down.  Makes you wonder what’s happening with testing as this could help to open up travel.  

1 hour ago, Grayphil said:

I could see the Ocean Liner route between London and NY being re-opened. Just lock up the ship in New York, then take 2 weeks to sail home. 

3 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

Airlines and travel industry dead until this is lifted, then. 

I also wonder about travel insurance? 

Imagine if you were British/European and you went over to the US and fell ill with COVID19. Would they be willing to pickup the tab? 

45 minutes ago, GregBowman said:

Its a start. Internationally and I haven't seen it mentioned yet this is ok for oldies aka the hated boomers - I can tack a couple of weeks onto a stay to see my Son and family - much harder for employed people, younger generations or people who don't run their own business.  

But your insurance premium is now £20k.

1 hour ago, MARTINX9 said:

You are actually closer to the person sitting in front of you and most people breathe forwards so there is only a marginal benefit anyway. The air vents and systems also circulate air.

This was obvious on a bus that drove past me yesterday. No one sitting next to each other.... But loads of people sitting one in front of the other. 

1 hour ago, Warlord said:

Doesn't have to be the middle seat. Family or people who cohabit can sit next to each other without restriction. 

With a bit of imagination, a bit like tetris, you could group people in a logical way. If you sat 4 people in 2 rows of two together you could leave the 2 rows in front of them empty

Intrigued though why they would start doing that soon when they haven't even tried to enforce social distancing during the lockdown. Picture below was shared on Facebook 3 days ago. 

Screenshot_20200510_120800.jpg

2 hours ago, Horridbloke said:

For this to be effective at this stage,  or at least to justify the economic downside, they will have to have a really good test/ track/ trace system in place.

Given their record on this so far, I can't see that they will.

Of course, if you have the capability to do antigen and antibody tests, the need for quarantine is reduced.  You shouldn't have to quarantine anyone with antibodies and no antigen (they have had it and cleared it), anyone with the antigen you either send back or put into isolation until they are clear of infection.

You could impose a condition of entry of regular antigen tests for the rest (assuming you can track them once you let them in - not holding my breath on that).

58 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

Airlines and travel industry dead until this is lifted, then. 

Well sound like they may be able to get planes into the air. There are lots of people that do need to fly. 

What about the aircraft crew, do they have to quarantine every time they fly into the UK? If so then the number of flights possible would collapse, imagine you are a pilot, you life would consist of 1 days work followed by 14 days locked up on repeat!

2 minutes ago, LetsBuild said:

What about the aircraft crew, do they have to quarantine every time they fly into the UK? If so then the number of flights possible would collapse, imagine you are a pilot, you life would consist of 1 days work followed by 14 days locked up on repeat!

Shush with your logical thinking at the back there!