House Price Crash Forum

UK 'must prioritise green economic recovery' says bosses from leading firms

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52580291

As the UK eases restrictions and tries to repair damage to the economy from the crisis, the chief executives of more than 60 British organisations called on the government to:

• Invest in infrastructure, technology and skills to create jobs that help sustainability
  • Exclude companies in "polluting industries" that do not have a proper climate plan
  • Restore ecosystems on land and in our oceans by incentivising walking and cycling
  • Support sustainable food, farming and fishing
  • Swiftly pass environmental laws and bring in targets in law to restore ecosystems
  • Bring global leaders together to plan for a sustainable economic recovery

The signatories to an open letter to Boris Johnson included Iceland Foods, Barratt Developments, The Body Shop, Ben and Jerry's, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), the National Trust and Greenpeace UK.

So lets see Barratt buillding Earthships ?

THE TYRE THE TIN AND THE OUTLAW - DOCUMENTARY - 2018 https://vimeo.com/293839538

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship
32 minutes ago, VancouverGuy said:

Getting people back into jobs where they can feed and house their families is the #1 priority. All the rest mumbo-jumbo claptrap can come later.

That reminds me, haven't seen Greta for a while.

I think your probably off beam on this - even the most hardened petrol heads are looking up at the moon or blue sky and thinking there has to be a better way now 

Pollution and the way we abuse nature isn’t mumbo jumbo claptrap

In fact if you don’t give a Flying f**** about my grandchildren’s future why should I give one about whether your on the streets or not and your children’s tax debt ? 

A comment worthy of the Brexit thread a complete either/or statement - a binary view 

It is possible to want to get back to work quickly whilst still believing we have a guardianship responsibility to our planet and future generations and let’s plan that into our complex return to work plans - you should try it sometime  you might surprise yourself 

Leaving out our magnificent NHS workers aside, millions of people have become a little too comfortable with their ‘ I don’t give a f*** who pays for this but it’s a great gig’ attitude that it won’t be a few bosses writing a letter stopping people feeding their families  it will be many of the ‘too scared’ to work 60% who will be signing their own P45

Edited by GregBowman
1 hour ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52580291

So lets see Barratt buillding Earthships ?

THE TYRE THE TIN AND THE OUTLAW - DOCUMENTARY - 2018 https://vimeo.com/293839538

Less the presence of Barratts in that list, which is a whole resposne in itself.

But BBC ideas of leading firms - ' Iceland Foods, Barratt Developments, The Body Shop, Ben and Jerry's, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), the National Trust and Greenpeace UK'

3 are charities.

Ones an icecream maker for fatties.

Body shop is tarted up soap bar (I buy cheap vegetable soap from tescos)

And Iceland?

Jeez.

Are there any sane adults left in the BBC???

I think nature's rather shot itself in the foot over this. 

By showing that a week or two of keeping people at home clears pollution, brings the dolphins back to Venice etc it's created the impression you can simply 'switch' environmental damage off and on. 

There will be millions in the streets asking for 'climate holidays' pay me 80% of my salary to stay home for 8 weeks at a time for the sake of the environment. 

The only thing that's been proven out of this is that restricting people to their homes and stopping businesses operating reduces pollution. In effect humanity is functioning as if there were fewer people alive - some might see that as a compelling argument for culling humans, for a one child per family rule, or perhaps sanctions for countries with a birth rate over 1 (instead of R>1 we could call that C>1?)