House Price Crash Forum

Honda Civic owner appeal for advice

I changed the oil in my 2013 Civic. I loosened the oil sensor instead of the sump bung (stop sniggering at the back). After I drained & changed the oil & filters & replaced evrything including the oil sensor & the car won't start... I've returned the computer on the dash to default but the car still won't start... Battery has full charge but is 'clicking' when I turn the ignition... Does the ecu need reset ?... Anyone any ideas or suggestions of where to ask online as all garages ar closed due to Covid lockdown....

Mods please leave in main Forum for 24-36 hours before moving to "Off Topic Forum"...Much appreciated.

If the oil sensor is new, does it need to be linked to the cars ECU in some way?   Modern cars are so damn clever the ECU might disable the engine if it thinks there is no oil because it cant 'see' the oil sensor..

24 minutes ago, dougless said:

If the oil sensor is new, does it need to be linked to the cars ECU in some way?   Modern cars are so damn clever the ECU might disable the engine if it thinks there is no oil because it cant 'see' the oil sensor..

Thanks for the reply....I just replaced the existing oil sensor but I get your point which more or less confirms my suspicions that the ecu needs rebooted... I used to love cars but now they're more frustrating than uploading a video game to a Commadore 64....

28 minutes ago, Longtermrenter said:

You want to see around 12.7 - 13 something Volts. Anything below 12.5 starts to look dodgy and under 12 forget it.

I suspect your right - if a planned error message and warning don’t think you would get the clicking 

Trawling the Honda forums no mention which I thought there would be if is this was a typical fault on changing the sensor 

A 2013 Honda also a little early for that type of digital integration. Imho 

Edited by GregBowman
5 hours ago, Longtermrenter said:

You want to see around 12.7 - 13 something Volts. Anything below 12.5 starts to look dodgy and under 12 forget it.

I think this is the most likely explanation.  Sometimes its the simplest thing that can cause you a problem.

Edited by dougless
11 hours ago, headmelter said:

Thanks for the reply....I just replaced the existing oil sensor but I get your point which more or less confirms my suspicions that the ecu needs rebooted... I used to love cars but now they're more frustrating than uploading a video game to a Commadore 64....

highly unlikely unless you switched the ignition on in between it being disconnected and fitting the new one ? so the ecu thought their was a fault?

you could check the wiring again an disconnect the battery for an hour then reconnect it. 

do you have a obd2 reader ?

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The car radio was on when I initially disconnected the oil sensor but I obviously never tried the ignition until I'd changed the oil & filters.

Checking the wiring again would be problematic as the car is down off the ramps & it's too low to the ground to get underneath it...

Just checked the battery & it's only reading 11.4 volts... so this could be my problem...

I'll disconnect the battery for an hour before buying a new one just in case as the battery never gave any problems before...

• 3 weeks later...

quick update: It was  the battery which apparently is a 'new type' which requires a specific type of charger to recharge it. A mate who works in an autoparts shop drained & recharged it.... hey presto we had life...