House Price Crash Forum

I'll admit, I'm very curious about other people's money. I've no idea how so many people have tiny or non-existent mortgages, send the kids to private school, buy new cars etc when we're told repeatedly how millions are on the poverty line, jobs disappearing, average salary £25k. 

Found this when I was poking around and it's fairly interesting reading. https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/3898435-What-is-your-household-income-lifestyle

I wonder how much these figures will change as the months proceed. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

I'll admit, I'm very curious about other people's money. I've no idea how so many people have tiny or non-existent mortgages, send the kids to private school, buy new cars etc when we're told repeatedly how millions are on the poverty line, jobs disappearing, average salary £25k. 

Found this when I was poking around and it's fairly interesting reading. https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/3898435-What-is-your-household-income-lifestyle

One has 4 kids and a £2.5k household income - wow!!!

I wonder how many of them are posting gross earnings rather than net or excluding child-care costs which are directly related to work.

Many will be legit, but their are a lot of non-jobs out there. Layers of middle management and hangers on especially in public sector/charities. 

Just now, Warwick-Watcher said:

One has 4 kids and a £2.5k household income - wow!!!

Tax credits baby! Not quite but a couple with 4 kids (born before 2017) would get £1785.18 plus rent in benefits.  

49 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Just a quick scan, shows it's a very select bunch.

Typical household income for a couple of 40odd year old tend to be under 50k.

The virus has destroyed all those daft 16h TC jobs.

I have read a few topics similar to that on Mumsnet.

I think that quite a few of the people are at the very minimum showing their income in the best light possible for showing off purposes.

Having said that, as someone that works in I.T. there are some pretty well paying jobs out there, with the caveat that they want genuine hard to gain technical skills these days.  The BS'ers seem to be getting slowly squeezed out of i.t. 

I can see a lot of layoffs coming, hopefully I am not one of them!!

Edited by reddog

That thread is the very definition of humblebrag.... However the one that stood out for me was take home £7k a month, mortgage £2.4k a month and savings in the bank £10k.

Seem to think they have £300k equity... But paying a nuts amount like £2.4k a month that could be the kind of equity that disappears overnight in a crash (fall from £800k to £500k Or similar) leaving them with 5-6 weeks wages in the bank. 

Edited by regprentice

There is an enourmous class divide in the UK, the haves and the have nots so it doesn't surprise me at all. But if you mean how poor people are able to buy so much shit, then yes the answer is to some degree benefits but also the cost of social housing and access to unsecured credit.

Edited by spacedin
28 minutes ago, phantominvestor said:

You should never give away how much you earn to the public.

Imagine living in Norway, where every salary is public, along with how much tax each person pays. 

The land where landlords cannot hide. 

Edited by spacedin

I only see mumsnet as a place where people stealth brag. Instead of saying something like "the seller offered us 10% lower than we were asking, cheeky bugger", they'd say "the seller offered us £900k, whereas we were asking £1mil, cheeky bugger". Casually mentioning 'their cleaner' is another way of saying "look how well I'm doing in life". It makes them feel better about themselves to put it out there. I am always amazed at how insecure people are about their status and image. I despise mumsnet, and bragging generally. 

2 hours ago, Ghostly said:

Yeah, that one stood out to me. No problem so long as the status quo continues for 25 years....

Ive read the whole thing now. Its nuts. 75% claim to be in the top 1% of income. 

Furlough scheme kicking in for some

Income pre lockdown: £2,900 a month (DH full time, me part time)... Income post lockdown: £1,900 a month (me on furlough and DH was reduced to 4 days a week so 20% pay cut)

Income is down 50% due to me being furloughed (with no top up) and DP taking a 20% paycut

Some more people whose lifestyles could come crashing down in a month, or are just completely and utterly mental. 

Normal lifestyle, nothing fancy, I take home £11k a month and have no savings. £2k a month mortgage on a standard terrace.

Approx £7000 net a month, Bills - including mortgage- approx £3,200, Food, eating out/takeaways - £1600 per month approx

With just dear husband working our income is £5k a month, when I work as well its £10k a month, our mortgage is £450 a month... In months where I don't work its a real struggle. 

And the occasional cry for help. 

Income over £200k... I would happily give it all up and move somewhere and have a simpler life. Sometimes the stress makes it hard to breathe

I agree the thread is mental, how many are lying I wonder.

And oh gawd those damn abbreviations.

Not particularly fashionable on there to have a modest income and a frugal mindset. 

Edited by spacedin

They are all full of Bs over there.

There will be a few on big money but going online to brag about it is ridiculous, my best mate growing up turned into one of them so I got rid it all gets very tiring llistening to how great and rich they are, this guys first house was 850k in 2001! he bought more similar houses over the next few years too apparently it was something to do with the money they made every year so much money they dont know what to do with it.

What a great thread, they love their takeaways and 200k mortgages. Lets see how they are in a few months time when the rebalancing of the economy begins. I bet  some of them are cruise line captains or jumbo jet pilots. One guy who posts I think was called Dave the cat , he had them sussed.

14 hours ago, reddog said:

I have read a few topics similar to that on Mumsnet.

I think that quite a few of the people are at the very minimum showing their income in the best light possible for showing off purposes.

Having said that, as someone that works in I.T. there are some pretty well paying jobs out there, with the caveat that they want genuine hard to gain technical skills these days.  The BS'ers seem to be getting slowly squeezed out of i.t. 

I can see a lot of layoffs coming, hopefully o am not one of them!!

Our whole PMO function is in the process of being dismantled. Manual testers, trillions of BA's.. companies are slowly realising these people actually hinder rather than help

These topics always crop up. There is a lot of people in the UK. If you live in an affluent area, chances are the people around you will earn good money. Go to a rougher area and you'll see the reality that most face..

14 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

There are some that are still in secure jobs with regular salary and inflation increments.....job for life, until it isn't, but often boring and unfulfilling, these people have committed themselves with several debt and family commitments so would not take a risk of leaving to venture out into the now very insecure world of possible higher income without the job security or extra job benefits, like contract, agency, consultancy, sole trader or ltd......so one person will over time see their income increase slowly, another person might earn £50k+ one year and a much smaller income the next.....The mortgages are taken out when the better jobs are in place....the mortgage will remain but the job may not.....any savings are therefore spent to cover until the next job.

Re; private schools, very often if parents income not sufficient, no rents/dividends able to collect from others to pay for it, no trust fund, then grandparents if able will often cover that cost.

Small mortgages are something many now prefer, rather than to take on extra debt against their home over longer to buy something bigger or remortgage to buy another property......they prefer their freedom and time, the freedom of more choices in both work and play that it brings when finally debt free or having low loans and finance to income, whatever that income happens to be.....earn £100 spend £99, happy give yourself a break....earn £1000 spend £1100 work harder, earn more.;)

14 minutes ago, cbathpc said:

These topics always crop up. There is a lot of people in the UK. If you live in an affluent area, chances are the people around you will earn good money. Go to a rougher area and you'll see the reality that most face..

That site is full of sh1te.  At least on here there is proper debate even if we disagree on many things including how the HPC may play out ,

They're playing a d1ck contest over there.

Edited by Warlord
5 minutes ago, Warlord said:

That site is full of sh1te.  At least on here there is proper debate even if we disagree on many things including how the HPC may play out ,

They're playing a d1ck contest over there.

Yep that’s true some robust debate on here now a crash is on its got better again 

57 minutes ago, hughjass said:

What a great thread, they love their takeaways and 200k mortgages. Lets see how they are in a few months time when the rebalancing of the economy begins. I bet  some of them are cruise line captains or jumbo jet pilots. One guy who posts I think was called Dave the cat , he had them sussed.

Weirdly the two professions you name are very unlikely to be them 

Both require level heads and planning - the majority aren’t the show off types 

1 hour ago, hughjass said:

It was the takeaways and eating out that got me. People eating out 3-4 times a week must be spending c.£800 (Based on a couple) a month net on eating out - mental