HOLA441
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Not surprised about Lloyds or many other high street banks for that matter. I went into town last weekend to sort out a problem with my online account, first time I have been in a physical bank for over a year. Fed up with the service, or lack of, from my current bank I dropped into Barclays.

It's a very different world now. One person standing in the middle of the foyer directing customers me how to use the machines and access things on line, no tellers, not another visible employee.

I can't talk about Pizza Hut as I don't use them ... actually maybe that's the reason 🤔

HOLA443
On 09/09/2020 at 09:56, Trampa501 said:

Who drinks five coffees a day? I find even two is pushing it, and I know I'm unlikely to pass by a Pret when I need a coffee. That said, this may well appeal to commuters stuck in central London each day, where there plenty of Pret outlets. You can be sure the staff will  be primed to upsell chocs/cakes etc.

Typically 20 working days a month .. that's a quid a day for coffee which is good value even if you don't drink all five cups that you could theoretically claim.

If you are a heavy coffee drinker, five cups should be enough for you.  Great value either way.

HOLA444

The boss of Heathrow is understandably gloomy. This was in the Guardian:

"An independent report by Oxford Economics for Hounslow council found the decrease in Heathrow traffic threatened up to 43,000 jobs in the borough, and warned of a £200m hit to the economy causing “extreme hardship for local families and communities”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/sep/11/airport-boss-says-heathrow-area-risks-becoming-1980s-mining-town?CMP=share_btn_link

HOLA445
9 minutes ago, Voice of Doom said:

"An independent report by Oxford Economics for Hounslow council found the decrease in Heathrow traffic threatened up to 43,000 jobs in the borough, and warned of a £200m hit to the economy causing “extreme hardship for local families and communities”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/sep/11/airport-boss-says-heathrow-area-risks-becoming-1980s-mining-town?CMP=share_btn_link

I read the other day that Frankfurt is now Europe's busiest airport not Heathrow.

HOLA446
HOLA447
4 hours ago, VancouverGuy said:

I remember back in March at the beginning of lockdown, British Airways were saying that they'd be bankrupt by May if the lockdown continued without a bailout - we're now into September with no airline-specific support.

Not sure I believe anything anymore.

BA’s sneaky use of easy to claim vouchers to get around their refund obligations went  too far IMO. They should be investigated into their treatment of customers and fined. Blaming it on exceptional circumstances is no excuse. 

HOLA448
11 hours ago, Voice of Doom said:

This should help to push house prices down in West London.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
3 hours ago, Voice of Doom said:

Yes. Heathrow's troubles will affect Hayes, West Drayton, Feltham, Hounslow and more.

Heathrow ruined a swathe of lovely villages and towns all in the name of 'development'.  The resulting decay will be a warning.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
19 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

UK redundancies rise at fastest rate since 2009 amid Covid crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/15/uk-redundancies-rise-covid-young-workers

Christ what bleating. Maggie got unemployment up to 13% through choice, and everyone loved it. Of course the pain  was disproportionately  applied to the north so no one gave a feck. So now we have a 0.2% rise and it’s panic stations?

HOLA4413
10 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Christ what bleating. Maggie got unemployment up to 13% through choice, and everyone loved it. Of course the pain  was disproportionately  applied to the north so no one gave a feck. So now we have a 0.2% rise and it’s panic stations?

No one gave a Feck about my 3000 person employed Lucas factory in Zone 4 London either - but I guess it didn't make good gritty Northern drama

To a person we did not believe in supporting one industry and not the other - otherwise you have to support them all - we just took it on the chin we didn't bleat either

Your overall point is well made - I think less than 2 million will be extra unemployed - big number but nothing like the 80's

HOLA4414
5 minutes ago, Giraffe said:

Also, remember a significant number of voters are retired now, especially Tory voters, so unemployment doesn’t  quite the same electoral impact as it did back then.

So it’s just young people bleating, and they should buck up their ideas, it was hard when I was growing up too etc.

Until they can’t pay the rent on their BTL that is, then its - WHY WONT THE GOVERNMENT DOOOOO SOMETHING ????

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
On 10/09/2020 at 20:50, Sour Mash said:

Typically 20 working days a month .. that's a quid a day for coffee which is good value even if you don't drink all five cups that you could theoretically claim.

If you are a heavy coffee drinker, five cups should be enough for you.  Great value either way.

If you are going hardcore then you could probably drink 5 smoothies a day and get 50% of your required nutritional intake.

That's less than a quid a day to get half your calories.

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

If you are going hardcore then you could probably drink 5 smoothies a day and get 50% of your required nutritional intake.

That's less than a quid a day to get half your calories.

You would also spend half the day on the toilet plus developing type 2 diabetes may not be the best result

HOLA4419
2 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Premier Inn owner Whitbread to cut 6,000 jobs amid Covid crisis

Company, which also owns Beefeater, shut hotels and restaurants in lockdown

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/22/premier-inn-whitbread-cut-jobs-covid-beefeater-lockdown

Mostly low paid jobs I should think. The low paid are getting pummelled in this recession. 

HOLA4420
11 minutes ago, Bear Goggles said:

Mostly low paid jobs I should think. The low paid are getting pummelled in this recession. 

The lower paid also make up a large proportion of workers who were deemed 'essential' and had no choice but to go to work during the lockdown while a lot of higher paid sorts were working from home or on furlough.

Really, I can see a lot of disgruntled people as the economy starts to really implode.  There is simply no way that this can all be paid for except by massive inflation.  Will the Western Govts try another co-ordinated devaluation I wonder, like they did after the GFC?

HOLA4421

Greggs hints at job cuts as furlough scheme ends

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54336746

Perhaps this could save lives, given recent obesity levels ....

V&A to make 10% of staff redundant amid coronavirus pandemic

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/sep/29/va-to-make-10-of-staff-redundant-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4422

So true and that was the beginning of the 'blame the victim '  ideology when it was applied to the unemployed.  Then we got the ' Get on your bike' slogan to get you to move to where the jobs were, but of course there were no streets paved with gold nor jobs. What we got was 1000s of notherners sleeping in cardboard boxes down on the embankment, including me for a short stint where some of my more determined friends had been for a while. Winter saw them all back up north cause non of them got a job.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
7 minutes ago, longgone said:

on the news they had some 25yo complaining she had applied for 480 jobs and only had 2 interviews. 

480 jobs ? i was surprised there is so many to apply for. 😂

1/4 of the workforce unemployed would shake things up. 

It's so easy to apply for jobs nowadays - a few clicks online, rather than sending in CVs or application forms through the post. This is maybe why you see the newspaper horror headlines - "700 applicants for part time job in Greggs" - they apply because it is easy. People will click to apply for anything within 50 miles. There is the need to prove to be looking for work in order to be paid JSA, but it does not matter if your applications are appropriate. Applying to work in a supermarket 30 miles away can sound fine initially, but realistically it will not work.

The question I would ask - is she actually qualified to do anything?