House Price Crash Forum

Illegal evictions of lodgers or not? Extortion by new landlord.

OK those two questions and reactions were my second thought about this story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52413431

My first thoughts were
a. Could I bung the family a few quid so they could lose the loan on the land and build a house
[then I checked the fundraiser page which is currently 73k so I think that's covered provided the fundraiser is not a scam ... and provided the whole story wasn't made up a la jounos for so called BBC and the guardian today consider normal]
b. Why the hell does London need Bangladeshis driving fecking Ubers [OK I admit I drive in central London and therefore hate Ubers].
[Most likely everyone here thinks at least one of those so no interest in discussion really]

So ignoring those two points, does anyone here know:

Is it a crime under the new covid laws to evict a lodger?
How could a campaign to get the scumbag LL who evicted him in the first place done for it go about things?

Is demanding 4k upfront for a new presumably scummy rental room which it sound like it was, some sort of extortion made illegal by corona? [Pretty sure the answer to that one is yes and assuming it was a not very nice == uninhabitable unless you have Bangladeshi standards is the non-market level of price enough to get interest from plod and/or a conviction. I am assuming the defence will be that was the going rate. ]
How could one get action from plod, assuming some real details can be had from journos [which assumes they exist].

Edited by ebull
Make link cliucky
12 minutes ago, ebull said:

Is demanding 4k upfront for a new presumably scummy rental room which it sound like it was, some sort of extortion made illegal by corona? 

More and more landlords asking for 6 months up front.

My BiL in Oxford had to put up a similar amount to get a flat as he had previously been in a council flat with his gf but when they split up he didn't have the credit refrencing to get a flat. He ended up in a crap bedsit recently converted from an office. 

If the details of how the landlord threw the lodger out are true then a crime was commited (as identified in the BBC article).

In terms for 4k pre-paid rent ... not sure that is illegal since (in theory at least) the applicant can just move on to the next option ... ?

21 minutes ago, crumblingcon said:

It really cannot be said enough, and bare in mind that I think the word HATE is a nasty word, even worse than the word c***.

But I really do hate landlords?

PS  OK, generally I do

No you don’t, you hate bad people

45 minutes ago, ebull said:

My first thoughts were
a. Could I bung the family a few quid so they could lose the loan on the land and build a house
[then I checked the fundraiser page which is currently 73k so I think that's covered provided the fundraiser is not a scam ... and provided the whole story wasn't made up a la jounos for so called BBC and the guardian today consider normal]
b. Why the hell does London need Bangladeshis driving fecking Ubers [OK I admit I drive in central London and therefore hate Ubers].
[Most likely everyone here thinks at least one of those so no interest in discussion really]

How could a campaign to get the scumbag LL who evicted him in the first place done for it go about things?

Is demanding 4k upfront for a new presumably scummy rental room which it sound like it was, some sort of extortion made illegal by corona? [Pretty sure the answer to that one is yes and assuming it was a not very nice == uninhabitable unless you have Bangladeshi standards is the non-market level of price enough to get interest from plod and/or a conviction. I am assuming the defence will be that was the going rate. ]
How could one get action from plod, assuming some real details can be had from journos [which assumes they exist].

Where did you get 73k from?

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Where did you get 73k from?

ttps://www.gofundme.com/f/support-for-the-family-of-rajesh-jayaseelan

Now 85, rising at over 12k an hour. ....

Linked in that article and comments there mention a guardian article.

Will it get to the 1M ?

Edited by ebull
57 minutes ago, ebull said:

ttps://www.gofundme.com/f/support-for-the-family-of-rajesh-jayaseelan

Now 85, rising at over 12k an hour. ....

Linked in that article and comments there mention a guardian article.

Will it get to the 1M ?

93k now, might send his family £5

23 hours ago, ebull said:

My first thoughts were

My first thoughts were is he here legally?

I know India is a huge diverse country but just as an anecedote my general experience of Indian migrants here has tended to be quite good. Those I met played things by the book, they were all unskilled labourers (security guards) and left the country around 2012 when they were unable to meet the stricter requirements of the Home Office. They were quite scathing of those who overstayed visas working in local shops, who were mainly Pakistanis I might add. 

I'm still in touch with them and they keep encouraging me to go and stay with them in India. 

Edited by spacedin
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2020 at 13:13, regprentice said:

More and more landlords asking for 6 months up front.

My BiL in Oxford had to put up a similar amount to get a flat as he had previously been in a council flat with his gf but when they split up he didn't have the credit refrencing to get a flat. He ended up in a crap bedsit recently converted from an office. 

Whats a BiL?  I'm stupid.

On 4/29/2020 at 12:21 PM, spacedin said:

I know India is a huge diverse country but just as an anecedote my general experience of Indian migrants here has tended to be quite good. Those I met played things by the book, they were all unskilled labourers (security guards) and left the country around 2012 when they were unable to meet the stricter requirements of the Home Office. They were quite scathing of those who overstayed visas working in local shops, who were mainly Pakistanis I might add. 

I'm still in touch with them and they keep encouraging me to go and stay with them in India. 

Lockdown means the ones in the black economy will soon run out of money for themselves forget about sending it to their families. 

Our unemployment rate is soon going to be so. high we will not need any of them.

i would recommend you take them up on this offer you seem to be best buddies with them.

To be fair though, AIBU to say it takes a newbie HPC'er a while to grasp HTB, IO, HMO, SVR, OO, IR, QE, DDD, FTB, EA, BTL, HPI, MMR, HPC, LL, VI, SSTC, LTV, and ZIRP?

On 09/05/2020 at 07:37, Si1 said:

So the support will go to buying them a BTL property?

Comes here to work as an uber driver to send money home, surely staying in india would be better. 

On 28/04/2020 at 12:56, ebull said:

I've just evicted a lodger.  Only tenants get extra Covid protection, not lodgers

My Dad died during lockdown and the lodger had been there 15 years. So I moved in to be a resident landlord. I could then give the rental period (1 week) as notice.

Lodger was an ex-con drug dealer and I found evidence that he was £10K behind in the rent and had borrowed money from Dad to pay his car insurance. No sign of anything behind paid back. All the money probably went on weed going by the smell in the lodgers room.

I paid him his deposit and last months rent back to get him out. There was no sign that the rent had actually ever been paid but I needed him out of the house.

I read up as much as I could about lodger/tenant differences and shelter/CAB advice to be sure that is was legal to get him out in a week.  If he had refused to go, it would have been legal to change the locks and call the police to prevent re-entry, even during lockdown.