House Price Crash Forum

Tenants told to use lunch and holiday savings to pay full rent

Locke

HOLA441
HOLA442
12 minutes ago, Locke said:

what have they lost getting evicted 6 months down the line, if that is even possible?

The stress of eviction and being homeless.

Bad references which will make it impossible to find another place who is going to rent a flat to a guy who does not pay.

Self respect.

HOLA443
5 minutes ago, Locke said:

https://archive.is/lhQI7

What I don't understand is why the tenants are bothering to pay rent at all. If there are no jobs and they expect there to be no jobs in 3 months, what have they lost getting evicted 6 months down the line, if that is even possible?

Not all, but that is the attitude of todays landlord and to be fair we are partially to blame. In the old days when so many lived in council homes local housing was held emotionally blackmailed and ripped off constantly by tenants, tenants were only removed after an exhaustive process that been gone through to reason/settle with them.

Then we went through RTB and later people found themselves living under the roof of the modern day private landlord who in many cases were not so forgiving, even criminal at times. This article does not go far enough, there are landlords with an attitude of "I don't care we you get the money, just make sure you get it", crime, stealing off friends and family, sexual services, anything as long as they get their money. I have worked with crisis and shelter and I know this goes on

HOLA444
53 minutes ago, richmondtw said:

The stress of eviction and being homeless.

Bad references which will make it impossible to find another place who is going to rent a flat to a guy who does not pay.

Self respect.

If they don't have a job and don't foresee getting one (perfectly reasonable), then they are simply pushing back their day of reckoning - except they will be in a worse position then with less savings or more debt.

References are meaningless now. Most renters will not be able to continue to pay their rent and so "I didn't pay rent" won't really be a black mark. Same as after 2008, having defaulted on a mortgage wasn't such a bad thing as before.

Happy 21st birthday Pulp Fiction: Here are 21 reasons why we love ...

HOLA445
HOLA446

A lot of tenants at a struggle will come up with rent for a month or two, but they might be kicking themselves in a few months when the fridge and food cupboards are empty and it dawns on them that they could of used the rent money. Lets be clear about this, public opinion on the whole will not give a toss about the plight of the landlords