House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

Warning Over 15% Council Tax Rise

perhaps the coucils should think of decreased spending instead

What's the point of being a councillor if you can't steal money from the taxpayers to give to your mates?

They do, perhaps the government would like to mention to the voters that an increasing number of statutory demands are being placed on councils without the additional funding to carry out this additional workload.

Guest Bart of Darkness

I'm sure dog could suggest a few areas for cuts.

However I fear for the future of Scotland if there are severe cuts in the number of "diversity co-ordinators" and "Human Resource Managers".

However I fear for the future of Scotland if there are severe cuts in the number of "diversity co-ordinators" and "Human Resource Managers".

Already starting to happen. I'm hearing of redundancies of this sort of role in local government now.

We could all pay significantly less council tax if councils made more of an effort to recover money from non-payers rather than simply jacking up the price for the honest, law-abiding paople who do pay to cover the shortfall. If we can make economies to cope with the cost of living when our wages are going up so much slower than the cost of living the councils should be forced to do the same. The only reason they aren't is because they have the law on their side.

Social services - State intervention is worse than nothing because it fosters dependency

Environmental departments - This duplicates the work of the EA

Local government Safety departments - This duplicates the work of the HSE

Environmental health departments - This duplicates the work of the food standards agency

Education - This is the job of schools, not local councillors

Councillors expenses - How can expenses of £30K be justified?

Jobs with words like Inclusivity/ratial awareness/equality - Waste of time and money

Policing - That would be nice.

General staffing levels - Reduce staffing by raising productivity to standards of private companies.

Salaries - Limit the maximum salary to £50K.

Some might argue that state and local agencies are not duplicating each others work. Where that might apply, it only reflects the failure of one or both agencies.

Already starting to happen. I'm hearing of redundancies of this sort of role in local government now.

They're never the right sort though are they, they will sack five useful workers in order to keep on each useless high paying non-job.

How many managers are going?

General staffing levels - Reduce staffing by raising productivity to standards of private companies.

Or just cut to the chase, outsource it to a private contractor and get your contracts right. The levels of laziness, inefficiencies, and corruption ingrained into local government is beyond redemption in most cases.