House Price Crash Forum

The Coronavirus Pandemic and Future Food Security

HOLA441
"The key point is this: at a time when there is an unparalleled threat to the future health and wellbeing of citizens throughout the world, we must turn this potential catastrophe into an opportunity manifesting as a renaissance in the production, distribution and consumption of healthy, seasonal and local food.

The Government as yet has shown no sign that they will build a better food system so citizens must lead the way in driving change.

This is a time to build resilience and health into our food systems, from the ground up."

Bit of a worry ...

source article

Where will the food come from?

The coronavirus and the future of food

A disastrous situation': mountains of food wasted as coronavirus scrambles supply chain

HOLA442

We are much more populous than the official 67 million people.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/city-eye-facts-on-a-plate-our-population-is-at-least-77-million-5328454.html

At present it does not look like people are passing away in the hospital car parks and corridors like in Spain/Italy/New York had at times so is the answer that out ICUs are not as good as theirs and patients are passing away in the same number even though they had exceeded ICU space?

I dont think this I think we just have such a larger population and more dense than declared.  I also think we have had the virus from December/January given that our links to China are so strong and we have been infected on a huge scale.  If antibody testing does not show this it will be very concerning.

So back to the food question until we know how many people are actually here how can we plan to feed them.  Whats good for house prices, rents and debt (underreported population/overcrowding) is toxic for pandemic and food supply.

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA443
45 minutes ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Bit of a worry ...

source article

Where will the food come from?

The coronavirus and the future of food

A disastrous situation': mountains of food wasted as coronavirus scrambles supply chain

When I start seeing posts on Mumsnet asking the best way to cook a deceased relative or neighbour,  I'll know we have problems.

HOLA444
8 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/city-eye-facts-on-a-plate-our-population-is-at-least-77-million-5328454.html

At present it does not look like people are passing away in the hospital car parks and corridors like in Spain/Italy/New York had at times so is the answer that out ICUs are not as good as theirs and patients are passing away in the same number even though they had exceeded ICU space?

I dont think this I think we just have such a larger population and more dense than declared.  I also think we have had the virus from December/January given that our links to China are so strong and we have been infected on a huge scale.  If antibody testing does not show this it will be very concerning.

So back to the food question until we know how many people are actually here how can we plan to feed them.  Whats good for house prices, rents and debt (underreported population/overcrowding) is toxic for pandemic and food supply.

that could be remedied in part by a proper full lockdown like some countries have done....ie non residents barred from entry+non residents present in the country have 72 hours/1 week to get the hell out of dodge,otherwise forcible repatriation takes place.

it's not an ideal route to go down,but is an option if things get really stretched.

This debacle has highligthed a lot of dangers people have been warning about globalism/open borders for years.Everything from supply chains to manufacturing to food security and critical infrastructure needs a good long hard look under the microscope

HOLA445
1 minute ago, oracle said:

that could be remedied in part by a proper full lockdown like some countries have done....ie non residents barred from entry+non residents present in the country have 72 hours/1 week to get the hell out of dodge,otherwise forcible repatriation takes place.

it's not an ideal route to go down,but is an option if things get really stretched.

This debacle has highligthed a lot of dangers people have been warning about globalism/open borders for years.Everything from supply chains to manufacturing to food security and critical infrastructure needs a good long hard look under the microscope

none of the above any good for the BTL brigade.

other things to be considered would be the use of prisoners serving lower level sentencing as farmhands and crop pickers.

Actually I think that some of them might find it preferable to being couped up 23 hours per day1

HOLA446
HOLA447

of course we are....like more have died with coronavirus ....only a number to fit a narrative.

Food required in the future will depend on a number of factors.....best is to cover for ourselves rather than rely on others to cover for us.....;)

HOLA448

There were all sorts of issues with the Global food supply before this pandemic event (largely hidden due to the West being rich enough to buy whatever food it needed) so as the supply chain issues as well as things like food rotting in the fields due to lack of labour to pick and process it, or agriculture/food businesses going bust due to the side effects of the lockdown, I can see some shaky times ahead .....

HOLA449

US Pork is in big trouble as a number of the large processing facilitates have been shut down due to large numbers of infected employees.

The worlds largest  in Sioux Falls South Dakota has now closed until further notice with 238 employees testing positive so far.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The world and the uk is vastly overpopulated so this is surely an obvious result.  I was talking to a guy a few months ago who said when he did economics O level in 1980 it was an exam question so it was on the radar 40 years ago.

People say we should build more houses.  Houses are built on land.  Land is needed to grow food.  Ergo there will be a food shortage.  

This is not rocket science.

HOLA4417
On 4/13/2020 at 1:49 PM, oracle said:

other things to be considered would be the use of prisoners serving lower level sentencing as farmhands and crop pickers.

Actually I think that some of them might find it preferable to being couped up 23 hours per day1

No just give prisoners subsidence rations.  I have never been locked up 23 hours a day but there again I am not a criminal.  

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
On 13/04/2020 at 08:14, koala_bear said:

US Pork is in big trouble as a number of the large processing facilitates have been shut down due to large numbers of infected employees.

Apparently that's largely because they replaced the American workers with 'migrants' living ten to a room. Once one catches something, they all catch it.

Though the whole thing is rather silly considering that normal cooking will kill the virus. It's apparently better than people starve than some Boomer dies from eating raw pork.

HOLA4420

How are western slaughterhouses and factory farming different than Chinese live food markets? Hygiene is pretty crappy in all of these places. Less chance of inter-species transmission as a western meat packing plant will just handle pigs or cows only?

HOLA4421
37 minutes ago, A17 said:

How are western slaughterhouses and factory farming different than Chinese live food markets? Hygiene is pretty crappy in all of these places. Less chance of inter-species transmission as a western meat packing plant will just handle pigs or cows only?

Yes, they don't slaughter bats in the local abbatoir. 

HOLA4422
4 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Yes, they don't slaughter bats in the local abbatoir. 

The middle east think we are disgusting for eating pigs.

We think France is disgusting for eating horse.

Don't get me wrong, I think the live markets in China are horrible, but we just keep it hidden in the west.

HOLA4423
19 hours ago, richmondtw said:

No just give prisoners subsidence rations.  I have never been locked up 23 hours a day but there again I am not a criminal.  

£1.87 a day food budget for a uk prisoner, no lobster and steaks dining at HMP .

Some locked up are innocent and on remand awaiting trial for months - can happen to anyone.

HOLA4424
4 hours ago, A17 said:

The middle east think we are disgusting for eating pigs.

We think France is disgusting for eating horse.

Don't get me wrong, I think the live markets in China are horrible, but we just keep it hidden in the west.

Yes, though I wasn’t specifically  ignoring moral relativism. The point with bats is that due to their higher metabolism and body temperature may be particularly good at hosting interesting new viruses.

The issue with wet markets is that slaughtering food in a somewhat haphazard fashion next to where it is being cooked and eaten is not good practice. 
That would definitely get a Zero from the local authority food hygiene teams.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

HOLA4425

Pigs eat meat. (Anyone watched Deadwood?) Animals that eat animals have diseases we can catch. 

Horses, fine, eat away. I wouldn’t personally, but Dobbin was my pal.

My beef (lol) is with anyone eating animals kept in intense factory farming conditions. Have you ever seen a bat colony? Of course they’re massive vectors for disease (ebola was also bats) there’s thousands of them all living side by side. 

Maybe everyone should have a school trip to an abattoir once, or at least a live webcam. Can’t grow the world population from 5.2 billion (1990) to 7.8 billion without a lot of dead mass-produced animals.