House Price Crash Forum

Would a house with a higher banded council tax put you off buying it?

I'm a first time buyer yet to pull the trigger but always looking on the local property sites. 

I have a decent deposit saved up and I can't see myself ever saving up so much again in my life time due to the realities of running a house/life and I also can't see myself relying on house prices rising to provide a deposit for moving up the ladder to a bigger house in the future. 

So I'd like to buy a home that I could be happy in for the long haul.

I can afford a semi detached/at a stretch detached house. Most semi detached property in my area are council tax band D. Some are even an E which seems crazy given some houses are more of less the same size, in the same area... 

Anyway without continuing to waffle - would a higher tax band put you off a house that you really wanted? 

It seems like if I can afford a detached house tax band E is the minimum in most cases.

With single person discount D is around £130ish Vs an E £175ish. 

A £40 odd difference p/m but every penny helps - £40 could go towards gas/electricity etc and it annoys me a bit that I could be paying an E grade to the council, for a single occupant and only get a 25% discount...

But that's maybe just because I'm a grippy Aberdonian.

Obviously if band prices go up - I assume the higher bands also get hit harder £ wise, so that to consider too. 

Thoughts? 

Edited by babo456