Ebay

HOLA441
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
3 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Just thinking that in any other financial slowdown people would be able to pawn/sell their valuables.

But not this one. Or rather, you could, but the market will be right down. Who is going to want second hand, potentially contaminated stuff now?

stuff is selling for silly prices on eBay new stuff that is, appliances and garden stuff jet washers power tools, bored people sat at home. although i have removed all my listings for now the couriers are sighing for stuff themselves and leaving it on the door step. 

had two pallets of jet washers delivered yesterday ready for sale in a few weeks love a pricing error. ?

HOLA443
17 minutes ago, longgone said:

stuff is selling for silly prices on eBay new stuff that is, appliances and garden stuff jet washers power tools, bored people sat at home. although i have removed all my listings for now the couriers are sighing for stuff themselves and leaving it on the door step. 

had two pallets of jet washers delivered yesterday ready for sale in a few weeks love a pricing error. ?

New stuff. Not old stuff.

But glad you’re coining it.

HOLA444
25 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

New stuff. Not old stuff.

But glad you’re coining it.

Is there a difference though ? potentially new stuff has been touched by someone. 

can`t say i`m coining it just making up for lack of able to work, will still be down on those sat at home getting 80% 

i may make around  £1300-1400 after costs after that stroke of luck. 

HOLA445
48 minutes ago, longgone said:

?

Unless it's loo rolls in which case the courier steals the loo rolls.

We were in all day and there's no way it could have been dropped off, tracking said delivered. No other explanation holds water.

Should have seen that one coming.

HOLA446
1 minute ago, Bluestone59 said:

We were in all day and there's no way it could have been dropped off, tracking said delivered. No other explanation holds water.

you had stuff go missing ?

HOLA447
HOLA448
Just now, Bluestone59 said:

Yes. Another courier told me it's widespread with loo roll.  About three weeks ago, supplies seem to have eased now.

Pretty sure i would be going after the higher value items the couriers have given their drivers carte blanche privileges. ;) 

HOLA449
39 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

Sorry to hear that - reminds me of my postman friend always enjoyed Lovefilm - had look at the DVD if he liked it watch it then pop in the official recipients door a couple of days later ?

HOLA4410
44 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

Ebay has been garbage for the last 5 to 10 years, I rarely use it. Prices for used stuff are almost as high as new and prices for new stuff are more than Argos, Amazon, etc.

Granted there will be the odd bargain. 

Used loo roll? Urgh.

HOLA4411
51 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

Ebay has been garbage for the last 5 to 10 years, I rarely use it. Prices for used stuff are almost as high as new and prices for new stuff are more than Argos, Amazon, etc.

Granted there will be the odd bargain. 

some of the new stuff is rock bottom prices on a promotion day if you manage to find a seller that has not deliberated inflated the price already.  

i bought a 55" hinsense 4k tv for less than £300 few months back. 

HOLA4412
2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Just thinking that in any other financial slowdown people would be able to pawn/sell their valuables.

But not this one. Or rather, you could, but the market will be right down. Who is going to want second hand, potentially contaminated stuff now?

Well yesterday I sold one thing on eBay and bought three.

The purchases are all brand new items, that once i take the shrink wrap off and wash my hands should be good to go.

The sale was a second hand item - to China.  After 2-3 weeks in the post any viruses should be long dead.

If anything, I'd expect ebay to do well out of this crisis, given people can't visit physical shops.

HOLA4413
8 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

Well yesterday I sold one thing on eBay and bought three.

The purchases are all brand new items, that once i take the shrink wrap off and wash my hands should be good to go.

The sale was a second hand item - to China.  After 2-3 weeks in the post any viruses should be long dead.

If anything, I'd expect ebay to do well out of this crisis, given people can't visit physical shops.

I’m not worried about ebay the company. I’m not talking about new ‘clean’ items.

I simply think that average people will try and sell their used valuables (because they need cash) and will find that the market of other average people buying them will have shrunk and that their value as such will be less.

Are you buying used items?

HOLA4414
14 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

I’m not worried about ebay the company. I’m not talking about new ‘clean’ items.

I simply think that average people will try and sell their used valuables (because they need cash) and will find that the market of other average people buying them will have shrunk and that their value as such will be less.

Oh right, well that's always true in every crisis because everyone is selling at the same time.  Nothing to do with viruses, or ebay.

And yes, I am buying used items.  I bought 5 earlier in the week.  I thought because this thread was titled "Ebay" you might be interested in new ones too. Clearly not.

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, PeanutButter said:

I have sold quite a few items, stuff lying around for years that I would never have bothered selling.

Prices are low but it's more  about getting rid of stuff than making money.

I do no contact pick ups and, after checking the weather forecast, leave it out the day before so that any virus will be destroyed before pick up.    

I also explain my caution (i.e. refusal to help with loading) by telling buyers my wife works in the NHS, so we cannot guarantee not being infected. 

Edited by Confusion of VIs

HOLA4416
5 hours ago, longgone said:

Blimey, two pallets of jet washers? No chance of getting your fingers burned with trading like that, dodgy supplier, warranty issues or something?

HOLA4417
14 minutes ago, smash said:

Blimey, two pallets of jet washers? No chance of getting your fingers burned with trading like that, dodgy supplier, warranty issues or something?

None at all, Not going to name names but their price match dept mucked up matching dead links and google cache, i have done this many times on all sorts of goods. two pallets is only 10 jet washers these are big powerful beasts  280kg for the two pallets ?

should be a couple grand profit if i`m lucky  i will keep one back for myself. 

HOLA4418
9 minutes ago, longgone said:

None at all, Not going to name names but their price match dept mucked up matching dead links and google cache, i have done this many times on all sorts of goods. two pallets is only 10 jet washers these are big powerful beasts  280kg for the two pallets ?

should be a couple grand profit if i`m lucky  i will keep one back for myself. 

I see, if you can easily spot a pricing balls up like that then that's a goodun. All I've ever done is spot a private seller that has done a crappy listing that would put many off and i've then turned it over. Another one is when someone has massively limited their market by only doing local pickup. I did by a brand new camera once that did check out as not a refurb or anything but that was so crazy priced I figured the retailer was doing a VAT scam.

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, smash said:

I see, if you can easily spot a pricing balls up like that then that's a goodun. All I've ever done is spot a private seller that has done a crappy listing that would put many off and i've then turned it over. Another one is when someone has massively limited their market by only doing local pickup. I did by a brand new camera once that did check out as not a refurb or anything but that was so crazy priced I figured the retailer was doing a VAT scam.

similar to that more a case of finding old listings on websites like home-base or Robert dyas with heavy discounts that show up in google cache then i get someone else to price match them, as 9/10 they only use my old dead link and not a live check the actual price. 

I should stay quiet really LOL 

HOLA4420
9 hours ago, GregBowman said:

Sorry to hear that - reminds me of my postman friend always enjoyed Lovefilm - had look at the DVD if he liked it watch it then pop in the official recipients door a couple of days later ?

Thanks Greg.

I'm glad the Mrs didn't go bonkers and order a stash though maybe I'd then have felt we'd got what we deserved. 

It was £27, not that that's the point.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
55 minutes ago, The Spaniard said:

About two weeks ago you could bulk buy 1000 mint year 2020 1oz silver Britannias from Silver-to-go for £18,450.

These now sell readily on ebay for around £25 each, more in some cases.

Anyone on HPC doing this?

(BTW, I'm not.)

£1 profit after fees and post no point.

Unless you selling bulk and then you are only saving on postage. Over 2 coins and you are not covered for loss anymore as it's over 50 so special delivery is needed wiping out all profit.

10% ebay

3.7% paypal

2nd  class signed for £2

HOLA4423
5 minutes ago, longgone said:

Unless you selling bulk and then you are only saving on postage. Over 2 coins and you are not covered for loss anymore as it's over 50 so special delivery is needed wiping out all profit.

10% ebay

3.7% paypal

2nd  class signed for £2

whats your typical percentage profit margin on for example the jet washers?

HOLA4424
5 minutes ago, longgone said:

10% ebay

3.7% paypal

2nd  class signed for £2

They go for £25 plus postage, but I take your point. I didn't know that ebay takes 10%!

HOLA4425