House Price Crash Forum

What happens when the government decides that we can all come out of our homes and they stop the furlough funding?

So for 80% (made up figure) of the population who were furloughed how many will still have a job to go to. As soon as the free cash stops the redundancies start big time. That's when we'll start seeing forced and distressed selling.

I genuinely fear for the future.

US has taken the different approach, no furlough to protect employees therefore unemployment increases to unimaginable levels. We have only kicked the can down the road for a few months.

Thoughts?

35 minutes ago, crazypabs said:

What happens when the government decides that we can all come out of our homes and they stop the furlough funding?

So for 80% (made up figure) of the population who were furloughed how many will still have a job to go to. As soon as the free cash stops the redundancies start big time. That's when we'll start seeing forced and distressed selling.

I genuinely fear for the future.

US has taken the different approach, no furlough to protect employees therefore unemployment increases to unimaginable levels. We have only kicked the can down the road for a few months.

Thoughts?

The problem is at the moment we have universal lockdown. Apart from so called "key" workers no one is supposed to work.

What we really need is people that can work without enhancing the spread should do. My guess is that there are a lot of places shut down that could go back to work relatively safely (especially if additional measures were implemented).

I don't think there will be any universal repeal of the lockdown. Just changes in circumstances based on relative benefits.

So for example IMO stuff like lesuire facilities (pubs, restaurants, clubs, cinemas, gyms) reopening in the near future is pretty unlikely. But manufacturing businesses reopening at some point is very likely.

The approach to pay companies up to £3000 for each furloughed worker was purely to protect interests of rich landlords or business owners. Again it also protects vested interest even at lower levels: someone with vested salary will enjoy staying at home, saving extra money due to less expenses. At the same time lots of people being unemployed, gig economy etc will be uneligible to use this scheme and struggle to survive.

The US's approach of distributing $1200 minimum monthly income to each citizen, plus improving level and accessability of unemloyment benefits is much fairer and humanitarian way to provide protection to the people.

7 hours ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

The problem is at the moment we have universal lockdown. Apart from so called "key" workers no one is supposed to work.

What we really need is people that can work without enhancing the spread should do. My guess is that there are a lot of places shut down that could go back to work relatively safely (especially if additional measures were implemented).

I don't think there will be any universal repeal of the lockdown. Just changes in circumstances based on relative benefits.

So for example IMO stuff like lesuire facilities (pubs, restaurants, clubs, cinemas, gyms) reopening in the near future is pretty unlikely. But manufacturing businesses reopening at some point is very likely.

So you're allowed to work [only if they can make a profit off ya] but not allowed to have any fun or going out?

How will than pan out?

Just now, AAA said:

The approach to pay companies up to £3000 for each furloughed worker was purely to protect interests of rich landlords or business owners. Again it also protects vested interest even at lower levels: someone with vested salary will enjoy staying at home, saving extra money due to less expenses. At the same time lots of people being unemployed, gig economy etc will be uneligible to use this scheme and struggle to survive.

The US's approach of distributing $1200 minimum monthly income to each citizen, plus improving level and accessability of unemloyment benefits is much fairer and humanitarian way to provide protection to the people.

each citizen r each legal resident?

For those who hate the gimmigrants I'd just like to point out with legal residents only but it doesn't go to the undocumented illegals and criminals you are getting a significant part of what you want. It's the hostile environment done without the picking on the vulnerable and low hanging fruit element that was the cornerstone of that-awful-bitch-May's implementation.

9 minutes ago, ebull said:

each citizen r each legal resident?

For those who hate the gimmigrants I'd just like to point out with legal residents only but it doesn't go to the undocumented illegals and criminals you are getting a significant part of what you want. It's the hostile environment done without the picking on the vulnerable and low hanging fruit element that was the cornerstone of that-awful-bitch-May's implementation.

I was in Tesco earlier today doing my shopping, and was approached by 2 young Brazilian girls, who offered me whatever i wanted for food, they were both working in Costa at Holborn before being furloughed, they had one loaf of bread a small milk and dairy lea that they were both paying towards.

One had a Portugese passport and said she been told she would not get anything for 3 months.

I had to quickly run into my SUV and drive off as they started to follow me.