House Price Crash Forum

care homes, a 'tsunami' of deaths go unnumbered

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.france24.com/en/20200403-as-coronavirus-creeps-into-french-care-homes-a-tsunami-of-deaths-unnumbered

Long a neglected branch of French healthcare, care homes for the elderly are accustomed to working in the shadows, their losses unremarked. As the coronavirus pandemic spreads like wildfire, they are bracing for a “bloodbath” – the full scale of which may never be known

Care homes for the elderly emptying every where 

Carehomes are death factories waiting to happen.  I wonder if this will push the case for Euthanasia and Assisted dying.  Better to go on  your own terms than abandoned.

My dad sadly passed away in a nursing home a couple of years ago. He had a heart condition and was on palliative care post hospital discharge. He wouldn’t have survived getting COVID-19  more than a day or so.

I am so grateful he isn’t living through this and we could give him a proper funeral and also bury him in the family plot in Ireland.

This must be desperate for care staff, nurses, residents and families. All the focus is on the NHS but care homes  are getting little or no recognition or meaningful help it seems?

Edited by MARTINX9
On 03/04/2020 at 19:30, MARTINX9 said:

My dad sadly passed away in a nursing home a couple of years ago. He had a heart condition and was on palliative care post hospital discharge. He wouldn’t have survived getting COVID-19  more than a day or so.

I am so grateful he isn’t living through this and we could give him a proper funeral and also bury him in the family plot in Ireland.

This must be desperate for care staff, nurses, residents and families. All the focus is on the NHS but care homes  are getting little or no recognition or meaningful help it seems?

Sad stuff. My next door neighbour, a student nurse, works part time at a local dementia care home, says she is about the only English worker there, the rest from EU,  some are planning to flee home to Poland or wherever if the facility catches a dose of this virus.   They too have having to improvise PPE.

On 03/04/2020 at 19:30, MARTINX9 said:

Some of the most knowledgeable and influential people who have lived splendid, hard and interesting lives, bags full of wisdom are some of the most vulnerable people in this very sad situation.:mellow:  

On 03/04/2020 at 11:41, msi said:

Carehomes are death factories waiting to happen.  I wonder if this will push the case for Euthanasia and Assisted dying.  Better to go on  your own terms than abandoned.

We need to be more spiritual (I am not a god botherer just for reference) whether you believe in the gates upstairs, we come back as an animal or just stop. Those options at the right time  can be graceful and humane

We have chased save all life at all costs at the expense of humanity

1 minute ago, GregBowman said:

We need to be more spiritual (I am not a god botherer just for reference) whether you believe in the gates upstairs, we come back as an animal or just stop. Those options at the right time  can be graceful and humane

We have chased save all life at all costs at the expense of humanity

I totally agree with this, but because the boomers have all the houses and wealth right now, it would open the door to people bumping off the rellies for the inheritance, which could be a bit of a moral hazard.

Just now, stop_the_craziness said:

I totally agree with this, but because the boomers have all the houses and wealth right now, it would open the door to people bumping off the rellies for the inheritance, which could be a bit of a moral hazard.

I agree but think a small minority or am I being naive ?