House Price Crash Forum

UK Online Retailers Offering Drastic Discounts

Both business and consumer news if you need some new clothes.

I am in the market for a new pair of trainers, having checked JD Sports and Footlocker a while back, I am now getting lots of adds for big discounts on trainers.  The things being offered are obviously stuff that is meant to be "current season"

Checked a few other sites like Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, TM Lewin shirts, also big discounts (like 30% off the whole range).  Also noticed some other sites doing 10% off first purchase, on top of other discounts.

On the business side, this is not good, I know clothes have a big margin, but with the sale on for things that should not be reduced yet, there will be no margin come result day.  But on the other hand, people aren't thinking about buying clothes right now, so they could end up with a lot of old stock if they don't slash prices.

On the consumer side, fill your boots, however unfortunately I already have too much stuff for my flat.

44 minutes ago, reddog said:

I am in the market for a new pair of trainers, having checked JD Sports and Footlocker a while back, I am now getting lots of adds for big discounts on trainers.  The things being offered are obviously stuff that is meant to be "current season"

Checked a few other sites like Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, TM Lewin shirts, also big discounts (like 30% off the whole range).  Also noticed some other sites doing 10% off first purchase, on top of other discounts.

On the business side, this is not good, I know clothes have a big margin, but with the sale on for things that should not be reduced yet, there will be no margin come result day.  But on the other hand, people aren't thinking about buying clothes right now, so they could end up with a lot of old stock if they don't slash prices.

On the consumer side, fill your boots, however unfortunately I already have too much stuff for my flat.

Get rid of some toilet roll maybe?

1 hour ago, reddog said:

Just tried buying some HP printer ink for my colour laser. Always take the 3 packs as they are much better value, but  HP is all out of those.  Individual colour are however available at extortionate prices. I found some eventually, but I don't see prices falling there.....

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Just tried buying some HP printer ink for my colour laser. Always take the 3 packs as they are much better value, but  HP is all out of those.  Individual colour are however available at extortionate prices. I found some eventually, but I don't see prices falling there.....

Fair enough, but the sort of things I am talking about are things you don't really need.

I have actual just bought a stand alone web camera, which I need for work, almost everything was out of stock, and I have to wait 2 weeks for what I ordered.  I guess it is swings and roundabouts.

Edited by reddog
26 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I haven't bought original brand toner in years. I literally cannot tell the difference at 1/4 the price, either for any of my old inkjets or my current Brother colour laser. Not all knock-offs are created equal, of course, but the reviews on Amazon are as good a starting point as any when trying to choose between them.

34 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

I haven't bought original brand toner in years. I literally cannot tell the difference at 1/4 the price, either for any of my old inkjets or my current Brother colour laser. Not all knock-offs are created equal, of course, but the reviews on Amazon are as good a starting point as any when trying to choose between them.

Fortunately I am expensing it.

I have used non brand in the past, but the trick is to avoid the cowboy ones.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

You have to wonder about how strong the supply system will be in coming months.....a very erratic supply chain......many things used to getting will no longer be available.....lots of adaptability required, creative thought.?